The basics

Girl Archer

Just a question that might be astoundingly simple to many of you but I just had to know...

Which method tends to be more accurate? Shuffling the deck, cutting it and then randomly dealing out the top cards and then the bottom-most card for outcome?

OR

Shuffling the deck and then fanning the whole deck and asking the sitter to pick out the cards and then we just read accordingly?

Also does it matter which hand you use to pick the cards, if using the second approach? Like a whole lot of tarot readers on television ask their clients to pick out cards with the left hand? Does that enhance the accuracy of the reading or is it just a tool to add to the perceived mystique of the tarot?

vanity

It's really just a matter of what feels right for you. Sometimes I'll shuffle and cut and take the cards on top. Sometimes I'll fan them out and pick the cards I'm drawn to (face down). I don't really ask my clients to cut my deck seeing as I do online readings as well and I definitely don't have that luxury. I'll simply envision their energy and name.

Girl Archer

Thanks Vanity :) and what about the thing about picking with left hand? Does that matter really?

canid

I don't think it really matters, although I totally understand your question. For years I tried to remember how my Grandmother did it & it took decades for me to understand that it doesn't matter. Seriously. Gather what others do but develop your own 'style' What worked for my grandmother may not work for me (she passed nearly 30 yrs ago so I can't ask her. Or, actually, I could...couldn't I?!).

You're gonna get all kinds of responses here; just remember one thing - you need to figure it out for yourself. You'll feel it somewhere. What works for YOU. But for what it's worth, here goes (& it's NOT written in stone - sometimes I'm 'told' to stop in midstream & hopefully I'm paying attention!) -

I shuffle underhand once, overhand 6 times, for a total of 7 shuffles, with 5 repititions. Again, sometimes I stop before I'm done with that ritual when I feel the urge.

But again, many many people just strew out the cards & pick. Works great for them & maybe for you too!

I think what would help you most is to develop your own 'personal' style; then you can wink & use it.

Girl Archer

I don't think it really matters, although I totally understand your question. For years I tried to remember how my Grandmother did it & it took decades for me to understand that it doesn't matter. Seriously. Gather what others do but develop your own 'style' What worked for my grandmother may not work for me (she passed nearly 30 yrs ago so I can't ask her. Or, actually, I could...couldn't I?!).

You're gonna get all kinds of responses here; just remember one thing - you need to figure it out for yourself. You'll feel it somewhere. What works for YOU. But for what it's worth, here goes (& it's NOT written in stone - sometimes I'm 'told' to stop in midstream & hopefully I'm paying attention!) -

I shuffle underhand once, overhand 6 times, for a total of 7 shuffles, with 5 repititions. Again, sometimes I stop before I'm done with that ritual when I feel the urge.

But again, many many people just strew out the cards & pick. Works great for them & maybe for you too!

I think what would help you most is to develop your own 'personal' style; then you can wink & use it.

Thank you Canid. That was very helpful! :D

Polyhymnia

I believe the cutting of the deck and/or pulling cards with the left hand (I cut and restack with my left hand) is because your left arm is nearer the heart. Someone else may set me straight on this, but somewhere/sometime I picked this up and for me it feels right

starrystarrynight

My Great Aunt read regular playing cards (which is where I got my first taste back in the late 50's-early 60's--yes, I'm that old. :)). She also did magic tricks for us kids, so she did it all with a big flair and fanfare. I think she fanned the cards out and waved her hand back and forth over them until she "felt" the right one to pull. But that, I think, was all for effect and showmanship. I wish I knew how she did it when she read for herself--that was probably where she got her best readings!

I, on the other hand, just shuffle, cut the deck into three piles, restack the piles and then deal off the top of the deck. Nothing spectacular or showy. I guess I'm not very fancy. :)

But it works for me, and the point is--if you just find what feels right and works for you and don't worry about it, you'll soon discover how it is best for you to do it. Somehow, you will get the right cards for the question you have asked. That's the mysterious part for me. We always seem to get the right cards...

SA12

Thanks for asking this question! It's always interesting to hear the varied feedback ....

See, I'm left-handed (and also a life-long clumsy shuffler! lol).... so cutting with my left makes natural sense to me and reversing it would be plain weird. When it comes to cutting, I vary the approach -- sometimes the piles are thick, or thin -- i just kinda let the cards give me a 'vibe' and cut as many times as I like before stacking it all back together and pulling what's on top. The important thing is to be as relaxed as possible -- deep breaths help :)

Girl Archer

Thank you all for your wonderful feedback. I love this site so much already :D I am learning so much and having fun, something which I could not have said about the previous learning phases of my life ;)

Girl Archer

Starry, I do it that way too (the way you say your aunt did). Guess it is part of the territory of being a Sagi :) (the theatrics, mystique and all). Though with some no-nonsense friends of mine, when it feels right, I just use the shuffle 'n' cut approach. That way, it seems less "nonsensical" to them :happy: Although I tried the purple cloth and candle apparoach and THAT MUCH drama did NOT work for me... so I have now just gone back to natural lighting and a clean surface :) Cuz I actually felt like the satin I was wrapping my cards in, gave it a very foreign vibe and I could not relate to them!

Have others felt similarly too?