The best LWBs you read

Madrigal

A shout out for the LWB that comes with the Steampunk Tarot. It's written by Barbara Moore and is chock full of great details.

bonebeach

Another vote for the LWB from the LoS Universal Marseille. The information for reading the pips is quick and useful, and absolutely the best summary I've seen in a LWB (as opposed to a full on book book). It actually helped me a lot--that LWB + Gail Fairfield + random background knowledge of mythological number associations = I CAN READ PIPS!

And thus I was freed from the necessity of RWS decks, though I still use and like them.

I feel like the LWB gives you enough to go on so you could buy JUST that deck and be decent at reading the Marseille after spending a few hours with it, no other stuff required.

The Happy Squirrel

The Chibi tarot (majors only)

daphne

Another vote for the LWB from the LoS Universal Marseille. The information for reading the pips is quick and useful, and absolutely the best summary I've seen in a LWB (as opposed to a full on book book). It actually helped me a lot--that LWB + Gail Fairfield + random background knowledge of mythological number associations = I CAN READ PIPS!

And thus I was freed from the necessity of RWS decks, though I still use and like them.

I feel like the LWB gives you enough to go on so you could buy JUST that deck and be decent at reading the Marseille after spending a few hours with it, no other stuff required.

Your last sentence is very interesting, indeed. Thank you for the tip, I am curious now to read that LWB.

RiverRunsDeep

Another vote for the Bohemian Gothic LWB. It offers both standard and
"dark" meanings for each card. The standard meanings go straight to
the heart and the essence of the images. The dark meanings are not
necessarily reversals, but dig deeply into the more lurid interpretations
of the cards. Actually, the dark meanings offer so much insight that they
could easily serve well for any other deck, IMO.

Metafizzypop

Another vote for the LWB from the LoS Universal Marseille.

I'll throw in a vote for that, too. It's just got one of the best systems I've ever seen for reading non-illustrated pips. Systematic, organized, sensible, and not hard to remember, either.

nisaba

Interesting, in fact I am looking now for a good and easy introduction to reading Marseille.

<sadly> Nothing is easy. For learning a new skill, nothing beats hard work.

bonebeach

<sadly> Nothing is easy. For learning a new skill, nothing beats hard work.

This is true in general and definitely for the Marseilles. While the Universal LWB is absolutely what made it suddenly click for me, I had many, many months of being cranky about Iamblichus, trying to make a completely personal numerology system, trying to read the pips as constellations, etc., etc.