The Book of Shadows Tarot

La Force

Yes all of the court cards, except the pages, are female (Maiden, Mother Crone). Very interesting. I liked this style of court progression in the Pagan Tarot as it gets you away from the notion of "Oh this is a young man, here is an older woman."

Unexpected but I like a deck that tries something new to explore its theme - we have enough guys on horseback in tarot as it is.

I must say that I agree with you, there is to much male energies in the traditional courts, most pages are male and the Knights are male. however there are lots of decks that do switch the pages and depict them as female. What I would so love, and dream about is a deck that would have both female and male pages, as well as female knights and male knights, yes that would add a few extra cards, to the deck, however you could get away with it when printing cause most decks come with 2 extra filler cards anyways. There is one deck that was like this, and no one has ever followed it wonderful concept with the courts and that is the Cary-Yale, I so dream of a deck that would come out like that. Maybe this could be done here with this deck, it would be so fitting. just in my opinion. Maybe this could be made possible with the 2nd deck as it is not finished for it would only need 8 more cards, then wow you can combine both decks with the additional 8 cards, well this can be left up to the individual, that they could use the additional 8 cards or not, this would be thee ultimate dream deck. well for me anyways.

ETA: I am sending Barbara my thoughts to please make my dream possible. :D :)

La Force

starlightexp

Damn it all I was doing my best to cull my collection but these decks look VERY interesting and well thought out.

vee

Wait, is this deck out already? How did that reviewer get one? <greedy>

Shade

I am sending Barbara my thoughts to please make my dream possible. :D :)

La Force

There's always the second half of this deck that is still being created ;-) We haven't seen anything of that deck yet have we?

Incidentally I like decks that mix the genders of pages and knights a la the Fey or Universal Fantasy.

Moonson

nice choice for the image on the bag!
beauty

Eyebright

I got my kit in the post yesterday! Anybody got their's yet? I really like it!
The card stock is different to LoS's usual, but it is a nice size for my hands. The deck is a completely different system to anything else as well, the majors have all been renamed and the minor arcana doesn't relate to anything golden dawny that I can tell.

I really like it though! It's beautiful and intriuging and it's packaged beautifully too. The companion book also has the pics and meanings for the "so below" deck, so we get a sneak preview of the cards. There's also a space in the kit to store that deck, so the whole thing can be kept together. Really impressed, looking forward to learning and working with this deck.

Thanks LoS!:D

Nina*

I got my kit in the post yesterday! Anybody got their's yet? I really like it!
The card stock is different to LoS's usual, but it is a nice size for my hands. The deck is a completely different system to anything else as well, the majors have all been renamed and the minor arcana doesn't relate to anything golden dawny that I can tell.

I really like it though! It's beautiful and intriuging and it's packaged beautifully too. The companion book also has the pics and meanings for the "so below" deck, so we get a sneak preview of the cards. There's also a space in the kit to store that deck, so the whole thing can be kept together. Really impressed, looking forward to learning and working with this deck.

Thanks LoS!:D
Where did you get it, Eyebright? I can't seem to find it available anywhere.... :(

Eeviee

For those of us waiting for the US release, Amazon US has two listings for preorder right now. Both close in price. The one listed as the Kit is said to be released on September 8th, the other with less written information, but which includes a picture is said to be released September 15th. -BookDepo confirms that the kit (cards + book) and the book itself are to be released on September 8th, while the stand alone deck is to be released the 15th (again, US listings). Llewellyn (the sole distributor of LoS Publications in the US) states that the stand alone deck will not be available until January 2013, however. Their website still lists the kit and book for a release in September 2012. The Lo Scarabeo website (hailing from Europe) does not indicate a wait for release, stating that all Book of Shadows products are merely out of stock, atm.

I've been keeping up with the publication of this deck via Barbara Moore's blog: http://practicaltarotreadings.com/blog/

For anyone interested in this deck, I would suggest checking out Moore's posts, particularly:

Her first post, gives a bit of background info on the creation of the deck
- http://practicaltarotreadings.com/1546/book-of-shadows-tarot/

Her second post, which gives information on her Court Card system (which I wonder about, see my comment in the comment section)
- http://practicaltarotreadings.com/1560/bos-court-cards/

And her third post, final on the BoS Tarot thus far, which discusses the Major Arcana for the first As Below deck
- http://practicaltarotreadings.com/1573/bos-major-arcana/

All that aside, I am anxiously awaiting the US release of this deck (perhaps even more so than I was for the Witches Tarot by Dugan and Evans. Shh. Don't tell! ;]). I'm hoping that Llewellyn will push the release date up for Moore's BoS Tarot, though I doubt it, as the BoS is a product from LoS. I'm also wondering if the Witches Tarot release was upped due to the release of the BoS Tarot. Originally, both were to be released in September... Interesting, no?

Eyebright

Where did you get it, Eyebright? I can't seem to find it available anywhere.... :(

UK eBay! There's a shop on there that had it for sale. I don't know where they got it from, as I thought it was being released in the US first for some reason (that I can't remember, it might be further back in this thread somewhere...) then being released to UK and Europe at a later date. Very mysterious! :confused: