The Book of the Law Study Group 2.41

Grigori

OK, I'll start things off

Thought a bit of a quote from Crowley's commentaries might get us started on this one.

Crowley said:
The feasts of fire and water indicate rejoicings to be made at the puberty of boys and girls respectively.

Its funny that we don't seem to do this in our society anymore. We put off the big birthday for 16 or 18, and seem to leave it a bit late. Probably the only ritual we have is that awkward conversation when one of your parents decides its time to tell you some facts about the birds and the bees (usually they will use that phrase, cause anything too specific would be too embarrassing ;) )

Maybe this is part of our discomfort as discussing all things sexual, especially with children were we're expected to be factual and honest, rather than dirty and sniggering.

Crowley said:
The feast for life is at a birth; and the feast for death at a death. It is of the utmost importance to make funerals merry, so as to train people to take the proper view of death. The fear of death is one of the great weapons of tyrants, as well as their scourge; and it distorts our whole outlook upon the Universe.

I think perhaps we're better at this. Celebrations at birth come easily, celebrations at death more difficult, but I think this approach to the end of life is becoming more common. At least in my experience there are more funerals celebrating the life of a person and getting people together, with an attempt at a lesser focus on the grieving.

And from Eshelman:
Eshelman said:
Verse 41 (a Netzach verse, marking the points of convergence of Nun and Kaph!): The first two are puberty rites for lads and lassies — the social and magical equivalent of a confirmation, or First Eucharist, or Bar or Bat Mitzvah. Birth — and to a lesser extent, birth anniversaries — shall be celebrated as a Feast for Life. Death — and to a lesser extent, death anniversaries — shall be celebrated as a Feast for Death; and the latter shall be the greater of the two.

Funny that some religions that are traditionally seem as more conservative have marked the passage of puberty. Where in our culture that is increasingly rejecting traditional religion in favor of secularism, still can't say the P word in front of our children. Maybe we've gone backwards in someways unexpected?

Always Wondering

Grigori said:
Funny that some religions that are traditionally seem as more conservative have marked the passage of puberty. Where in our culture that is increasingly rejecting traditional religion in favor of secularism, still can't say the P word in front of our children. Maybe we've gone back wards in some ways unexpected?

From my experience as a Protestant marrying into a Catholic family is that it is all ass backward.

Confirmation was very confusing for me. Congratulations, you are becoming a sexual being (sinner). Now put on a pretty dress and celebrate this sexuality that you should deny, if not forever, then as long as your possibly can. And if you must bring shame to yourself and us by becoming sexual the only way to save yourself and us from shame is to get married. So let's put you before our society and acknowledge this publicly. :bugeyed:

My secular experience of raising my daughter into a sexual being was even more bazaar. I watched, aghast, as she became a mirror (target) of non denominational sexual shame and idiosyncrasies. I was much too busy trying to protect her from this, and helping her accept what is perfectly natural, to think of celebrating.

I think I had it easier than my daughter. I was taught not to talk about it, saving me from some public ridicule.
I didn't, or tried not, to teach sexual shame to her and in a way I set her up to be blindsided by those who felt it vehemently necessary to judge and shame her.

Interesting that nobody even blinked when my son became sexual.

I hope someday one of my female descendants will have a proper celebration of her budding sexuality. But my experiences have left me cynical.

AW

Grigori

It's funny the double standard set around gender isn't it?

We're much more supportive of our boys entry into sexual activity than our girls. Though, the flip side of that was just pointed out to me this week. a friend sent me an email recently with a bumper sticker style joke attached. The basic premise was that a woman with a sex toy is seen as empowered and self-assertive and even celebrated (maybe a backlash against years of suppression and a reflection of popular culture), but a man with his own version is desperate and unable to get a real woman.

So still we are making judgments based on gender. Perhaps this is a perversion of the "ideal" of a woman maintaining her chastity. If she must shame the family, let her do it with an inanimate object. But for heavens sake let the boy find a real girl to fool around with!

Strange creatures we are.

I read the Gnostic Mass last night (kind of by accident) and found it has sections specific to the celebration of life and death (among other things), but apparently not a version for the feast of water or fire. I assume this implies that the Gnostic Mass is not the standard ritual for these milestones.

Birth

The DEACON: Be the hour auspicious, and the gate of life open in peace and in well-being, so that she that beareth children may rejoice, and the babe catch life with both hands.

The PEOPLE: So mote it be.

Marriage

The DEACON: Upon all that this day unite with love under will let fall success; may strength and skill unite to bring forth ecstasy, and beauty answer beauty.

Death

The DEACON: Term of all that liveth, whose name is inscrutable, be favourable unto us in thine hour.

I particularly like the one for marriage. It's not clear to me if these are interchangeable passages used for the appropriate celebration, or if all are done in each performance for the benefit of anyone present who would benefit from them.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
Where in our culture that is increasingly rejecting traditional religion in favor of secularism, still can't say the P word in front of our children. Maybe we've gone backwards in someways unexpected?
It's a different expression of the same poison at the heart of western society. Even in these supposedly more liberated times there still lingers a subconscious feeling that sex and sexuality is inherently corrupting. The contentious issue of educating children in these matters is usually obfuscated and made difficult by something called the "innocence of children". If we teach children about sex it is feared that this will rob them of their innocence. But children aren't innocent. They are merely ignorant. But it's great excuse that "grown ups" can hide behind, so that they don't have to face their own horror and shame of themselves.

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Interesting that nobody even blinked when my son became sexual.
Why would they? At it's core society is still Osirian. So when it comes to sex it is still biased towards males. There is still the largely unacknowledged assumption that boys will be boys. But not so for girls. For them the whole machinery of societal control is ranged against them. If she insists on expressing her sexuality in ways not condoned by society she inevitably invokes upon herself a whole slew of derogatory labels that are intended to brand her as an outcast, no longer part of the group.

It's in reaction to this that Thelema uses the symbolism of Babalon and the Scarlet Woman. In an Osirian sense they represent that side of the feminine that it considers taboo. But Thelema declares that this long repressed aspect of the feminine is to be reclaimed. And if society doesn't like it, tough!

III:11.... Let the woman be girt with a sword before me. (Verse 156. ;))

This sword of Thelema is double-edged. Sword is Zain - Atu VI The Lovers. And on the edges of the card we have Eve and Lilith. Both aspects are needed to make the whole. Consider also the Empress and the glyph of alchemical salt.
To us, every woman is a star. She has therefore an absolute right to travel in her own orbit. There is no reason why she should not be the ideal hausfrau, if that chance to be her will. But society has no right to insist upon that standard.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
The basic premise was that a woman with a sex toy is seen as empowered and self-assertive and even celebrated (maybe a backlash against years of suppression and a reflection of popular culture), but a man with his own version is desperate and unable to get a real woman.
Again, society makes it will known. The Osirian male should be "sowing his seed" in ways conducive to the greater good. He should be actively engaged in breeding more warriors for the tribe. Anything other than that is taboo in the eyes of society.

Always Wondering

Thanks guys, it was helpful to hear the male side of sexual oppression. It seems they are equally confusing messages.

I say toys for everyone :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Thanks guys, it was helpful to hear the male side of sexual oppression. It seems they are equally confusing messages.
Yes, it is a bit confusing. But I think that's because even though each gender is going in different directions, both of them are still puppets of society. External authority dictating personal sexuality for the betterment of society as a whole. Very Osirian. ;)

In an Osirian sense if a female does not submit she is branded a whore, a slut, a tramp, etc. And if a male does not submit to the Osirian ethic it means he must be either a wanker or a faggot. Both of which are taboo because they don't contribute to society. The next natural target is contraception. The Osirian ethic doesn't like that either. ;)

Thelema rips all this up. Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. The interpretation of the sexual impulse is up to the individual to decide for themselves. Of course we don't live in an ideal world. At present other people still think they have a right to pass judgement on other people's sex lives. But whoever said this was meant to be easy? If you want to live by your own rules, you've got to be prepared to stand up for yourself.

ravenest

Grigori said:
... a friend sent me an email recently with a bumper sticker style joke attached. The basic premise was that a woman with a sex toy is seen as empowered and self-assertive and even celebrated (maybe a backlash against years of suppression and a reflection of popular culture), but a man with his own version is desperate and unable to get a real woman.

Its spilled over into 'theology' - Bumper sticker seen on womans car; "My Goddess gave birth to your God." ????? I had to respond; "Yeah? Well my God f..... your Goddess in the first place to get her pregnant. :laugh: The hen and egg again.

Grigori said:
I read the Gnostic Mass last night (kind of by accident) and found it has sections specific to the celebration of life and death (among other things), but apparently not a version for the feast of water or fire. I assume this implies that the Gnostic Mass is not the standard ritual for these milestones.

I particularly like the one for marriage. It's not clear to me if these are interchangeable passages used for the appropriate celebration, or if all are done in each performance for the benefit of anyone present who would benefit from them.

In my experience, for example - a marriage in the church is celebrated by a Mass and only the marriage collect would be read out, the same for a funeral etc. An extra bit of ritual may be added depending on what people want; an exchange of vows, a eulogy, etc. IMO that makes sense BUT in an 'ordinary' Mass all the collects are read out which seems a little strange (IMO) in retrospect. But then again maybe its because; " all are done in each performance for the benefit of anyone present who would benefit from them "

I have also taken part in EGC baptismal and confirmation rites (or their equivelent) but these seem to generate from a Grand Lodge (ie, on the National level and are not adopted for International usage}. I guess thats to keep the core ritual extant and not have it take on any regional flavours?

A lot of this came from Bishops in US GL OTO and other countries adopted it, when other countries developed I think these extra rituals were withdrawn back to US and other GL's encouraged to develop their own. I have never encountered an EGC puberty rite although I have assisted local groups with them (for boys only). One very good one I attended and assisted with was a combination of local pagan and Koori (Aust. Aboriginal). A stange mix but it went off quiet well, but that was mostly due to the situation of a severe lack of these things happening.

Good fathers and uncles (blood relos or not) should do this with their sons as mothers and aunties should with their daughters. When a society or group is healthy and well connected there is a support network in the community and the larger family for such things and it then becomes a social ritual and 'feast'.

IN my studies of anthropology it is evident that one of the most significant triggers (if not THE most) in a decaying society is the lack of this process - for all cultures. If a group doesnt celebrate and initiate into these fire and water mysteries - that group is doomed ina matter of a few generations - even if they have been around for tens of thousands of years.