The Book of the Law Study Group 3.12

Aeon418

For the highest spiritual working one must accordingly choose that victim which contains the greatest and purest force. A male child of perfect innocence and high intelligence is the most satisfactory and suitable victim.
Jim Eshelman said:
but don't miss the fact that the 'victim' is the ego as much as any other meaning.
III x 12 = 36, Sol. (Lingam-Yoni)

Verse 157 - ZQN, Lingam. NQBH, Female-Yoni.

According to the Hebrew letter sequence this verse corresponds to the letter Lamed and Atu VIII Adjustment - the Woman Justified by the Phallic Sword. Lots of Lingam-Yoni symbolism here!

Child - YLD = 44 (Male child.)

Lamb - TLH = 44 (Little cattle?)

Cattle - BHMH = 52 (Big cattle?)

YLD + TLH = 88. ChPh - Chaph; pure, innocent. (See first quote above.)

YLD + TLH + BHMH = 140. MLKIM - Melekim, Kings.

History is chock full of legends about Sacrificial Kings, who are sometimes also the son of God. (Frazer's, Golden Bough is a good source.) Jesus, the Lamb of God, is probably the prime example of the Sacrificial King who is forced to undergo an Ordeal before being slain and then resurrected. But who is this King in a symbolic sense?

YLD + TLH + BHMH = 140 - MLKIM

Now we add the letter corresponding to this verse, Lamed.

YLD + TLH + BHMH + LMD = 214. RVCh - Ruach. (See second quote above.)

I believe the next few verses are a transformational Ordeal through which the Ruach must pass, just like the Sacrificial God-Kings of legend and myth.
12. Sacrifice cattle, little and big: after a child.

13. But not now.
[Mem - XII The Hanged Man. The initial state of the "victim". Untried and unready.]

14. Ye shall see that hour, o blessèd Beast, and thou the Scarlet Concubine of his desire!
[Nun - XIII Death. Ruach and Nephesh to undergo a transformation through time. Hour = O]

15. Ye shall be sad thereof.
[Samekh - XIV Art. The process may not be pleasant at times. But SAD(65) conceals LVX. See also Mark 8:31-33]

16. Deem not too eagerly to catch the promises; fear not to undergo the curses. Ye, even ye, know not this meaning all.
[Ayin - XV The Devil. Trial by the Adversary, tempting you to stray from the path or run away in fear.]

17. Fear not at all; fear neither men nor Fates, nor gods, nor anything. Money fear not, nor laughter of the folk folly, nor any other power in heaven or upon the earth or under the earth. Nu is your refuge as Hadit your light; and I am the strength, force, vigour, of your arms.
[Peh - XVI The Tower. Destruction! Pachad(Fear) The tribulations of Ordeal X.]

18. Mercy let be off; damn them who pity! Kill and torture; spare not; be upon them!
[Tzaddi - IV The Emperor. The worthy sacrificial King, Strengthend by trial and tribulation.]

Crowley seems to have attacked this verse from a different angle in the Book of Lies, chapter 12.
THE DRAGON-FLIES

IO is the cry of the lower as OI of the higher.
In figures they are 1001; in letters they are Joy.
For when all is equilibrated, when all is beheld from
without all, there is joy, joy, joy that is but one
facet of a diamond, every other facet whereof is
more joyful than joy itself.
1001 in Hebrew is [Big]Aleph + [little]aleph. The letter aleph is the Ox - cattle. The Joy spoken of here may be related to the Joy of Hadit in chapter II. Death is the Crown of this Joy, but only for the King of Kings. But it is forbidden to the [Hanged] Man. (See II:72-74)

The number 1001 also suggests the cycle of Ordeal X in the previous verse. Kaph = 100. The 1 coming full circle is 1001. Equilibration!
I also see that Aleph/Ox-1 + Aleph/Ox-111 + YLD(Child)44 = 156. The number of the previous verse.

brightcrazystar

the key is to not confuse "Sacrifice"

sacrifice (n.)
mid-13c., from O.Fr. sacrifise (12c.), from L. sacrificium, from sacrificus "performing priestly functions or sacrifices," from sacra "sacred rites" (prop. neut. pl. of sacer "sacred," see sacred) + root of facere "to do, perform" (see factitious). L. sacrificium is glossed in O.E. by ansegdniss. Sense of "something given up for the sake of another" is first recorded 1590s. Baseball sense first attested 1880. The verb is first recorded late 13c. Related: Sacrificed; sacrificing.

with "Slaughter"

slaughter
c.1300, "killing of a cattle or sheep for food, killing of a person," from O.N. *slahtr, akin to slatr "a butchering, butcher meat," slatra "to slaughter," and slattr "a mowing;" related to sla "to strike" (see slay), from P.Gmc. *slukhtis. Meaning "killing of a large number of persons in battle" is attested from mid-14c. The verb is from 1530s.

Always Wondering

brightcrazystar said:

=with "Slaughter"

slaughter
c.1300, "killing of a cattle or sheep for food, killing of a person," from O.N. *slahtr, akin to slatr "a butchering, butcher meat," slatra "to slaughter," and slattr "a mowing;" related to sla "to strike" (see slay), from P.Gmc. *slukhtis. Meaning "killing of a large number of persons in battle" is attested from mid-14c. The verb is from 1530s.

This is a little easier to understand once I got an inroad to the flesh eating of previous verse.

brightcrazystar said:

sacrifice (n.)
mid-13c., from O.Fr. sacrifise (12c.), from L. sacrificium, from sacrificus "performing priestly functions or sacrifices," from sacra "sacred rites" (prop. neut. pl. of sacer "sacred," see sacred) + root of facere "to do, perform" (see factitious). L. sacrificium is glossed in O.E. by ansegdniss. Sense of "something given up for the sake of another" is first recorded 1590s. Baseball sense first attested 1880. The verb is first recorded late 13c. Related: Sacrificed; sacrificing.

This was fairly easy for me to work out. I could always reason that this did not necessarily mean the literal sacrifice such as Abraham was asked.
But then we come to the word child, which for me, emotionally loads this verse.

For the highest spiritual working one must accordingly choose that victim which contains the greatest and purest force. A male child of perfect innocence and high intelligence is the most satisfactory and suitable victim.

Originally Posted by Jim Eshelman
but don't miss the fact that the 'victim' is the ego as much as any other meaning.

Aeon418 said:
According to the Hebrew letter sequence this verse corresponds to the letter Lamed and Atu VIII Adjustment - the Woman Justified by the Phallic Sword. Lots of Lingam-Yoni symbolism here!

This also makes sense to me to a degree. But first we have "child" instead of man, mind or ego. Then we have "male child" then we add "innocence". I am not understanding this progression and possible meanings of this. It is difficult for my mind to leap from Hanged Man to Hanged Child.

AW

Aeon418

In a way I think this is what verse 16 is hinting at with, "Ye, even ye, know not this meaning all." From the limited perspective of the Ruach the Ordeal X may appear catastrophic and destructive. It is the great Solar tradgedy of the Osirian myth played out all over again. It is the illusion of the dying sun-god. But from the perspective of the Aeon of Horus it is all joy, all bliss.
AL III:62 To Me do ye reverence! to me come ye through tribulation of ordeal, which is bliss.

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
It is difficult for my mind to leap from Hanged Man to Hanged Child.
The Hanged Man is attributed to the letter Mem.

The letter Mem spelt in full is Mem, Yod, Mem. The Yod in the centre is like a little seed child hidden within. Lots of latent potential, but undeveloped and immature. That potential is indicated by the full numerical value of the letter Mem - 90. That's the same value as the letter Tzaddi - Atu IV The Emperor.

Within every Hanged Man there is a potential King.

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
But first we have "child" instead of man, mind or ego.
On the Rider Waite Lovers card the Ruach is symbolised by the Man on the right. But what would be an appropriate symbol for an undeveloped version of that same guy? A male child.

Aeon418

Here's another interesting chapter from the Book of Lies.
PEACHES

Soft and hollow, how thou dost overcome the hard
and full!
It dies, it gives itself; to Thee is the fruit!
Be thou the Bride; thou shalt be the Mother here-
after.
To all impressions thus. Let them not overcome thee;
yet let them breed within thee. The least of the
impressions, come to its perfection, is Pan.
Receive a thousand lovers; thou shalt bear but One
Child.
This child shall be the heir of Fate the Father.
The Ruach has the power to plant impressions within the Nephesh. These impressions, if correctly aligned, can act as a bridge between the Nephesh and the Neshamah. Through this link the Nephesh begins a transformation from Bride(Heh final) to Mother(Heh). (IHVH)

But there's a catch. If the Ruach can impregnate the the Nephesh with patterns, it is very important that it focuses on the right ones. Notice in the above quote it says, "Receive a thousand lovers". 1000 is the number of petals of the Sahasrara Chakra - The Crown Chakra.

Now look at the The Hanged Man and The Emperor. Which one has got his head in the right place and wears the Crown? The Hanged Man has the potential to be an Emperor (Mem = 90 = Tzaddi), but needs to go through a transformation first.
The Strong Ruach (King) can lift up it's head, if it Chooses. But a weak one (Slave) tends to droop down automatically and focus on wants. And it is these wants that impregnate the Nephesh instead of Will.
Receive a thousand lovers; thou shalt bear but One Child.
1000 = Big Aleph (Ox, cattle) 1 = Little Aleph (Ox, cattle). 1001

Later on AL III:43 could be interpreted as what happens when the Nephesh spurns the role of Mother and lapses into her old ways.

Always Wondering

What your saying makes sense. I think I've been confused over the words 'after' and 'victim'

Aeon418 said:
Here's another interesting chapter from the Book of Lies.

The Ruach has the power to plant impressions within the Nephesh. These impressions, if correctly aligned, can act as a bridge between the Nephesh and the Neshamah. Through this link the Nephesh begins a transformation from Bride(Heh final) to Mother(Heh). (IHVH)

But there's a catch. If the Ruach can impregnate the the Nephesh with patterns, it is very important that it focuses on the right ones. Notice in the above quote it says, "Receive a thousand lovers". 1000 is the number of petals of the Sahasrara Chakra - The Crown Chakra.

Now look at the The Hanged Man and The Emperor. Which one has got his head in the right place and wears the Crown? The Hanged Man has the potential to be an Emperor (Mem = 90 = Tzaddi), but needs to go through a transformation first.
The Strong Ruach (King) can lift up it's head, if it Chooses. But a weak one (Slave) tends to droop down automatically and focus on wants. And it is these wants that impregnate the Nephesh instead of Will.

1000 = Big Aleph (Ox, cattle) 1 = Little Aleph (Ox, cattle). 1001

Later on AL III:43 could be interpreted as what happens when the Nephesh spurns the role of Mother and lapses into her old ways.

This says a lot and explains so much. I will be considering this. But what the heck is Ordeal X? Sometimes I think it is a single occurrence which triggers Initiation. Other times, life in general. And after reading this, a state of mind.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
But what the heck is Ordeal X?
In my opinion Ordeal X is the path to K&C of HGA.

The cross (X) is commonly accepted as a Phallic symbol. The Phallus is also the elemental Pyramid that we've talked about in the past. Draw a square around a letter [X] and you might be able to see a Pyramid viewed from above. Part of Ordeal X is the raising/perfecting of this elemental Pyramid. The second part is uniting it with the O, the Cup, the Yoni.

Draw a circle, O. Now draw a cross in the circle, X. You've just formulated the Rosy Cross, the Lingam-Yoni. There's a fancy version on the back of the Thoth cards. These are all symbols of K&C.

If you want to see an externalised and symbolic representation of Ordeal X, read one of the Gospels and see Jesus as a developing Ruach that under goes trials and tests. Sometimes he has doubts and worries. He is tempted (strengthed) by the Devil. At weak moments he wishes that the Cup would pass from him. Even when he is Nailed(Vav) on the Cross (X) he crys out, "Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani". (My God, my God. Why have you forsaken me?) After his death he spends 3 days and nights in the Tomb (Womb, O) and becomes a very different person.