The Book of The Law Study Group 3.30

Aeon418

Aleister Crowley said:
The Altar represents the solid basis of the work, the fixed Will of the Magician; and the law under which he works. Within this altar everything is kept, since everything is subject to law. Except the lamp.
With that picture in mind consider III x 30 = 90, which is Tzaddi - The Emperor. He is fixed will and law. But notice how the light/lamp shines on him. The law of the Emperor governs the four elements but not the fifth.

The most obvious and literal way to interpret this altar is as a physical object. But it may also be possible to interpret it as the aspirant him/herself. This altar is made of "open brass work".
Brass is an alloy of Copper and Zinc. Copper is sacred to Venus who is Love. Zinc, if I remeber my school boy chemistry right, is a transition metal whose properties include an ability to conduct electricity, when heated it becomes malleable, becomes magnetic if placed within a megnetic field, and readily forms combinations with other elements. It doesn't take much effort to see how these properties can be interpreted in a more symbolic way. The basis of the aspirants work is Love under Will. He/she is idealy able to conduct magical force (Fire), allow change to occur through open Union (Water), be open and perceptive to subtle (magnetic-like) influences (Air), and to be flexible or sturdy as required (Earth).

Burn thereon in Silver or Gold? Burn brings to mind the fiery, aspirational qualities of Aries, which is of course the Emperor. Silver and Gold relate to Yesod and Tiphareth. This makes me think of the silver-microcosmic pentagrams and gold-macrocosmic hexagrams that "burn" upon the magician, who is the Altar.

Aeon418

This is verse 175, which is the magic sum of the magic square of Venus. (The magic sum is the value of each line in a magic square.) As I've already said Copper is the sacred metal of Venus, and is the prime ingredient in Brass.

Aeon418

If anyone is interested in looking for a biblical slant on this verse it might be worth having a look at the Hebrew, Altar of Burnt Offering, also called the, Brazen Altar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altar_(Bible)

The word "brazen" means made of brass. But for some reason many biblical translations say the altar was made of bronze which is an alloy of copper and tin. As has already been mentioned brass is a mixture of copper and zinc.

In another sense the word brazen means bold and shameless, which points back to a more symbolic interpretation of the Altar.

Always Wondering

This is verse 175, which is the magic sum of the magic square of Venus. (The magic sum is the value of each line in a magic square.) As I've already said Copper is the sacred metal of Venus, and is the prime ingredient in Brass.

So, are a magic square and a cube different?
And what the heck is a magic square? Does it have something to do with Qabalah?
A link would be fine.
A good link. :laugh:

AW

Aeon418

And what the heck is a magic square? Does it have something to do with Qabalah?
I started writing an answer, but realised I was rambling. Nothing new there. :laugh: So here's a more concise description courtesy of the Cicero's.
Qamea (or Kamea): From a Hebrew root word meaning "talisman." A Qamea or Magical Square is a diagram showing a series of numbers arranged so as to yeild the same total whether the numbers are added horizontally by rows, vertically by columns, or diagonally. The number of the sum of each column of figures and the total sum of all the numbers on the square are numbers that are especially attributed to a paticular planet. The Magical Squares or Qameoth are essentially planetary talismans
Just to add to that, if you have the Hebrew name of a particular planetary spirit you can obtain the sigil of that spirit by tracing it on the Magic Square.
A link would be fine.
A good link. :laugh:
I hope this is good enough for you. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_square#Europe
All seven planetary squares are there for you to play with. Notice that the Venus square equals 175 and our current study verse. ;)
If you're really bored try adding up all the numbers on the square of Sol.

RLG

Dwtw

Interesting observation. And note that the Kamea of Venus is 7 x 7, thus having 49 cells. There are 49 letters in this verse. Methinks a little magic square work is in order ;-)

Litlluw
RLG

Aeon418

Interesting observation. And note that the Kamea of Venus is 7 x 7, thus having 49 cells. There are 49 letters in this verse. Methinks a little magic square work is in order ;-)
Ah! I didn't think to check the letter total this time. Good catch, RLG. :thumbsup:

RLG

Dwtw

In the Trigrammaton English Gematria, this verse has the value of 606. Equivalents that relate to this are:

606 = the altar shall fume before the master with incense that hath no smoke.

This of course relates to the altar in question. (from Liber 66, verse 18)

606 = Set up my image in the East: thou shalt buy thee an image which I will show thee

This relates to the image of the Stele to be used in conjunction with the altar.

606 = I am Heaven, and there is no other God than me, and my lord Hadit.

This relates to the other two gods of the Thelemic pantheon. Using the altar to 'burn thereon in silver or gold' might refer to the solar/luna duality, or Hadit/Nuit. This sentence also has 49 letters, matching the verse in question.