The Book of The Law Study Group 3.61

Always Wondering

This seems the perfect verse, according to Crowley's New Commentary, for me to poke around past the Bill Heidrick's Gematria table, as my books, along with most everything else are still packed away.

3+6+1= 10. Yod. The Angelic order of the Foundations. Angels of the girders?

Life on the Sun?
I try not to argue against it as a cling to the bare bones of my house like a blind megalomaniac. :laugh: I had become very attached to it.

This verse feels like a huge relief to me. It reminds me of meditation.

AW

Zephyros

I wonder if this references a false god, as mention is made of "a" god enthroned in Ra's seat, and the lightening of the girders is, to me, a reference to true will. No longer, as in the Aeon of Osiris does the law of cause and effect hold, rigid divine commandments, but in the Aeon of Horus there is no law beyond Do what thou Wilt.

I agree with you, Always, a very (en)lightening verse. :)

Always Wondering

I wonder if this references a false god, as mention is made of "a" god enthroned in Ra's seat, and the lightening of the girders is, to me, a reference to true will.

Well, of course, the Book of the Law is very personal and you should apply your own thoughts before anything else. But here is what Crowley says.

Note that Heru-Ra-Ha is not merely a particular form of Ra, but the God enthroned in Ra's seat. That is, His Kingdom on earth is temporary, as explained in verse 34. And he is here conceived as the Hierophant, "lightening the girders of the soul," that is, bringing man to initiation.

http://hermetic.com/legis/new-comment/

AW

Aeon418

Verse 206: DBR - Speech, the Word.

My overall subjective impression of this verse is one of speech returning to silence. The Sign of Horus, the Enterer is here complemented and completed by the Sign of Harpocrates, silence. The Phallic Word has been spoken, the Seed planted, and now we enter a time gestation and growth within the womb. (See Atu XX if you need an illustration.)

The verse number, 61 is the value of ANI - I, myself. But also AIN, Negative, Not, No-Thing. This too suggests a positive manifestation returning back to the source of all. The reduction of the chapter+verse number down to 10 (3+6+1=10) also points to this, as 10 is the masculine 1 returning to the feminine 0. 10 is also the value of the letter Yod, the emblem of the Seed.

While 61 as AIN suggests the source, (III:61) 361 suggests the completion at the other end of the Tree. 361 = ADNI HARTz, Adonai ha-Aretz - Lord of the Earth, the divine name of Malkuth.

Coming back to verse the theme of completion seems to come through loud and clear. On one level Horus seems to be saying that his word is coming to an end. His speech is almost exausted. He's said what he had to say and that's it. In a very literal sense this is true because we are almost at the end of the book. The verses that remain kind of tie up loose ends, but the main meat of the proclamtion is over and done with.
On another level this verse links up with verse III:34. The Aeon of Horus is not an eternal unchanging truth for all time. Instead it is keyed to a specific stage of human growth. Once that stage is passed it is over and done with. (Compare that to the stubborn Bull - Osiris/Jesus - in Liber 418 - 29th Aethyr. :rolleyes:) At the present time Horus is the Hierophant who sits on the Throne of the East. This is essentially the same as Ra's seat. This is the seat of the Sun, the center, the heart, Tiphareth. He is the current archetype of the HGA who now displaces the old archetype embodying the incomplete dying god formula - Osiris, Jesus, etc.

Horus, the HGA, lightens (light or weight?) the girders of the soul. Girders suggests something solid. Possibly a material framework. This might indicate the mind and body that are meant to be the vehicle of the soul through life, but all too often end up being a confining prison of self made bars. The influence of the HGA either penetrates the darkness with light, LVX. Or lifts the oppressive Saturnian weight of existence from shoulders of the aspirant.

III x 61 = 183. No meaningful gematria's jumped out at me. But a section of Crowley's commentary got me thinking.
Aleister Crowley said:
In this verse, therefore, doth the God "enthroned in Ra's seat" declare that his word lightens (or removes) the opression of these "girders of the soul." The study of this chapter [Liber AL, chap.3] is accordingly a soul-preparatory course for whosoever will become Initiate.

183 = Qoph, Peh, Gimel.

Qoph - Atu XVIII The Moon. The aspirant wandering in darkness seeking for the light of Initiation.

Peh - Atu XVI The Tower. The lightening strikes! The trial and tributaion of Ordeal that "lightens the girders of the soul."

Gimel - Atu II The Priestess. The Light projected from Kether, enthroned on Ra's seat, Tiphareth.*

* The next verse is the 207th. 207 = AVR, Light.

RLG

The secret of page 19, chapter 3

Dwtw

The following excerpt from my Book of Mutations includes a reference to ‘pasting the sheets’, which is accomplished by setting the 65 pages of the holograph ms of Liber L in a 5 column x 13 row grid; with chapter 1, page 1 at the upper right, followed by pages 2 through 5 in the top row, page 6 at the far right of row 2, and so on down to chapter 3, page 21 at the lower left corner of the 13th row at the bottom...

The 19th page of chapter 3 of The Book of the Law contains the following verses:

enthroned in Ra's seat, lightening the girders
of the soul
62. To Me do ye reverence, to me come ye
through tribulation of ordeal, which is
bliss.
63. The fool readeth this Book of the Law and
its comment, & he understandeth it not.
64. Let him come through the first ordeal, &
it will be to him as silver.
65. Through the second, gold
66. Through the third, stones of precious water.
67. Through the fourth, ultimate sparks of the
intimate fire.

Using the 5 x 13 layout to ‘paste the sheets’ of the Holograph, the bottom page of the middle column is page 19 of chapter 3.

Counting 19 words, from right to left, top to bottom on this page gets us to the word “To”,
whose value is 19. This is the first word of verse 62, whose total value is 737, the sum of
all the page numbers of the MS, (and this is the only verse to have this sum).

It becomes obvious from looking at the contents of this page that it contains the
core of the book, insofar as it describes the four ordeals related to the unfoldment of
understanding the Law. This is made more emphatic by the scribe squeezing in the last
two words on the page, so as to finish verse 67, thus making 13 lines of text on the page,
(see the original for this, and remember that 67 x 11 = 737 = sum of the pagination).
If we consider this page as a keystone of the manuscript, we can then subtract the
page-number from the total of the pagination: 737 - 19 = 718.

In exactly similar fashion, we can subtract the value of the key word “To” from
verse 62. This word equals 19, and is the 19th word on the 19th page. 737 – 19 = 718.
In both cases, we got to this number 19 by following the instruction to paste the
sheets in a directional manner, both as a whole set of 65 items, and as a set of individual
words on a sheet.

This marks the sheet numbered 19 as of particular significance. Recall that 718
represents the Stele of Revealing, which is to have the “other images” grouped around it,
and this is symbolized by page 19 having all the other sheets grouped around it, since they
all constitute the Law, whose ordeals are described on this page.

This idea is confirmed by the fact that the verse-numbers of this page = 62 + 63 +
64 + 65 + 66 + 67 = 387 = the other images group around me

The sum of the TQ gematria of this sheet of the Holograph is 3609. When we also
include the value of the verse-numbers, the total becomes 387 + 3609 = 3996 = 6 x 666.
Surely this indicates being “enthroned in Ra's seat”, for Ra is a Solar god, whose
place on the Tree of Life is in Tiferet, the solar centre. And the magic square of this sefira
is 6 x 6 = 36, and its magic sum is 111. Thus this sheet has a total value of 36 x 111.

This sheds light on the curious phrase that follows soon after this sheet: “there is a
splendour in my name, hidden and glorious”, for if the name is RA, then the value is 19,
which refers us to page 19, where the name Ra appears. But this Ra is the “sun of
midnight”, which is obviously Kheph-Ra, and the symbolism of this is the Moon Atu of
the tarot, and the scarab carrying the midnight sun through the dark, at the bottom of the
card. Note that the Moon Atu is the 19th card of the tarot.

In the same manner, sheet 19 is at the bottom of the 5 x 13 page layout, and thus
acts as the sun of midnight, in relation to the remainder of the grid. The pillars of the
Moon Atu are the rows of pages on either side of the middle column. The dogs of reason
bark from them.

It is also useful to note what happens before and after this sheet. Just prior to it, at
the end of page 18, we find the phrase “there is an end of the word of the god”, and thus
the word “ends” on that sheet. Sheet 19 then begins with the rest of verse 61. But the
numeral 61 doesn't appear on page 19. It does, however, appear secretly afterward, for the entire gematria of the remainder of the Law, i.e., pages 20 & 21 of the MS, sums to 6161.

Thus the 61 is the prelude as it were, as well as the postlude, of this sheet. And this
is no mere numerical coincidence, for the verses regarding the ordeals are explained by the Prophet as indicating that one follows these ordeals on the Tree of Life, so that one
progressively reaches Yesod/moon/silver; Tiferet/sun/gold; Keter/stones of precious water; and the Ain/ultimate sparks of the intimate fire.

Ain of course is 61, and thus after this page has implicated it in the hierarchy of the
four ordeals, the remainder of the Law echoes it by being equal to 6161.

Returning again to the contents of this “keystone” sheet of the manuscript, we find
that the entire contents of the page include the following glyphs:

330 English letters
2 ampersands
6 verse-numbers
1 page number
339 = sum of all the elements of this page.

339 = the order & value of the English Alphabet

It is this very order & value, that which was ordained to be obtained by the
Prophet, which reveals the secret of this page:
via the name RA = 19 = TO
via the sum of verse 62 = the sum of the page-numbers of the ms
via the gematria of the entire page being equal to 6 x 666.

Litlluw
RLG

Aeon418

The following excerpt from my Book of Mutations includes a reference to ‘pasting the sheets’, which is accomplished by setting the 65 pages of the holograph ms of Liber L in a 5 column x 13 row grid
The reference to 'sheets' could indicate the pages of the manuscript, but there are variant interpretations.

Aeon418

One "sheet" that seems to get frequently neglected is the original title page. The manuscript thus has 66 "sheets" in total. Like the Tarot it therefore begins with 0.

22 x 3 = 66

Thus we get a link between the "sheets" of the 3 fold Book of Law and Nuit's book, the Tarot.

RLG

Dwtw

Ants look at a mountain and say it might be a molehill.
Moles look at an anthill and say it might be a mountain.
Mountains have no eyes to look at ants or moles or hills.

Litlluw
RLG

RLG

One "sheet" that seems to get frequently neglected is the original title page. The manuscript thus has 66 "sheets" in total. Like the Tarot it therefore begins with 0.

22 x 3 = 66

Thus we get a link between the "sheets" of the 3 fold Book of Law and Nuit's book, the Tarot.

Dwtw

The original title page "could" be part of the manuscript, but there are variant interpretations.

Litlluw
RLG