The Book of The Law Study Group 3.64

ravenest

Silver - gold - diamond. That makes sense. Especially since I was just reading in Patrick Harpur's 'The Philosopher's Secret Fire' about a range of differing cultural magical / sharmanic practices of a higher order* that all seem to have the same theme and he refered to the Tibetan (?) ritual of creating the diamond body.

* The process is a symbolic restructing of the body / psyche where parts of the body change to different substance; the bones to metal or stone and some cases diamond. Harpur classifies this as a 'higher order' as it is an inversion of the first process (initiation in to the tribe / man/womanhood); the 'natural person' is transformed into a 'cultural person', while in the higher processes the 'cultural person' is transformed into a 'supernatural' person.

RLG

I agree. Although I suspect the difference between levels is not always the same...
But the the transition from Gold to Stones of Precious Water (Pearls?) suggests a complete change of state. Is there a still a link between the two levels? Of course. But it is much bigger and may be of a completely different nature to the first one.
.. But how does one even begin to frame the insights of a Stone of Precious Water in the 'language' of Silver or even the fool?

Dwtw

Yes, the jump between levels is not necessarily the same increment, and most likely is more like a logarithmic increase of sorts.

As for discussing one level in the terms of the other, that's sort of what I was trying to say rather clumsily. All the book tells us is that these levels/ordeals are there and they are differentiated. Their nature is naturally obscure. So maybe if one spoke from the 'precious stones' level, only another Thelemite who had undergone that level of ordeal would reaLly grok anything one said about it? I don't know. But i do think these four linked verses are an important piece of the exegetical puzzle, indicating just how complex the Law is.

Litlluw
RLG

ravenest

Dwtw

So maybe if one spoke from the 'precious stones' level, only another Thelemite who had undergone that level of ordeal would reaLly grok anything one said about it?

It is hard for a shaman (or an initiate) to talk to a non sharman about anything but the mundane world.

The raport of initiates is one of the bonds of fraternity.

Not necessarily 'in the order' (in the manner of things which annoy some of our friends here) but via ' initiatory' experience . E.g. the rapport one has with someone that has had the same intense expereince - however they got it.