The cards dont lie -- givin someone a 'reality check' ouch!

MissJo

I agree. But I don't pride myself on being blunt. It comes to me in the way it is supposed to be delivered. I can be quite gentle at times, surprisingly. :D

Haha, I don't pride myself in it either... I just know it's who I am! I don't deny it ;) I do like to try to finish my blunt as hell message with something nice (and true) though. I don't sugar coat the "medicine," but after you can have a spoonful of honey and a snuggle :'D

MareSaturni

I'm blunt. I'm not one to sugar coat it... the cards said it for a reason and I feel it's my duty to give them the message. [...] Yes, sometimes the truth is a slap in the face but sometimes that slap is needed to wake someone up. Don't like it, don't ask me... that's all I can say *shrugs*

Hum... I think it's ok if you only plan to read for family & friends, who know you and your personality, but if you 'slap' someone who barely knows you, you may lose the querent. Some pwoplw don't mind bluntness, but many seek tarot readers in their moments of deepest doubts, pain and vulnerability. I think it's just... wrong to have a 'don't like it, don't ask' attitude when dealing with other people's emotions.

I don't think that phrasing the answer in a less hurtful way is 'sugarcoating'. Sugarcoating is making something appear better than it is. Being tactful means delivering the message in a way that the other can receive it.

I believing in saying the truth, and I would never lie to a querent about the message of the cards, but I'd do my best to deliver is in a compassionate way.

moderndayruth

Hum... I think it's ok if you only plan to read for family & friends, who know you and your personality, but if you 'slap' someone who barely knows you, you may lose the querent.
Do you read professorially, Marina?

Some women drove me crazy (my own friends and acquaintances), and for too long, because i didn't want to be harsh...
Sometimes one should say "he is not that into you, 'tis all".

The problem is that we love our friends (let alone paying clients - which i don't have / don't want to for various reasons) and we don't want to hurt their fragile egos, but so many women on the edge of hysteria had ruined months and years of my life... that i tend to feel less and less compassion for willing delusion... and i still (being this age) say " i am sure she has issues, you know, he is intimidated by you - because you are sooo... "
Goodness.
You say something (anything), and they go - aha, i know what you are saying; but she is hearing what she wants to hear, never mind what you are saying.
I had a very similar experience recently and sometimes i really hate myself. (I am not a pleaser, yet i hate to hurt people and yet i don't want crazed people wasting more of my time... Men are the same when they are after someone who doesn't want them btw.)
Don't know, maybe i should be more loving, but thinking of what time i spent listening to BS and thinking to myself "is it that you are blind? or you think that if you persuade the reader that she is wrong - and that the guy who has issued a warrant against you (i did have a case like that) or hasn't called in two years - is still crazy about you , if only you could persuade the reader that she is wrong (she's being deliberately "misinterpreting" the cards, right?) - all would be magically fixed and the reality would be just as you wish for...
Ugh. Sometimes, after such readings - i think that "normal" people get on without readings - they sob a bit, speak to a friend or two and they go on with their lives; while we get the the - willingly or not - delusional ones. :rolleyes:
(I know its not like that mostly, but one loonie sucks up energy for ten normal, wonderful sitters.)

MissJo

Hum... I think it's ok if you only plan to read for family & friends, who know you and your personality, but if you 'slap' someone who barely knows you, you may lose the querent. Some pwoplw don't mind bluntness, but many seek tarot readers in their moments of deepest doubts, pain and vulnerability. I think it's just... wrong to have a 'don't like it, don't ask' attitude when dealing with other people's emotions.

I don't think that phrasing the answer in a less hurtful way is 'sugarcoating'. Sugarcoating is making something appear better than it is. Being tactful means delivering the message in a way that the other can receive it.

I believing in saying the truth, and I would never lie to a querent about the message of the cards, but I'd do my best to deliver is in a compassionate way.

Really... this isn't something I plan to make a complete living on so I'm not as concerned about losing a few sitters because they don't like I interpret the cards. And who says I don't make it as positive as I can and still be blunt about it? I'm going to give the complete truth and not hold it back (being blunt), but I'm going to do it in as positive way as I can..

And I quote: "I don't sugar coat the "medicine," but after you can have a spoonful of honey and a snuggle."

Honest and encouraging. When I see the Tower I don't see nor say "There is something false in your life that's going to crumble down and it's probably going to be painful."

I say "There is something false in your life that's going to come crumbling down and it'll probably be painful, but this is something that is necessary and you can build something better and stronger to replace it" <-- Spoonful of honey.

In the case of the Ten of Swords, I make sure to add that this is probably as worse as it can get, but it's more than likely the end of their problems and there is something better in the horizon.

And that's just with one card, I never give just the negative, that's not what Tarot is about. Tarot is about finding solutions to your problems and I know even the most negative cards in the deck have something positive and helpful if you see past their intimidating nature. I will be honest about the problem and I will always add the solution.

MareSaturni

Do you read professorially, Marina?

Nope. I read for friends and fmaily for the moment, but even in this case I try not to be unecessarily blunt. :)

You say something (anything), and they go - aha, i know what you are saying; but she is hearing what she wants to hear, never mind what you are saying.

Sadly, there's nothing you can do about it. I used to work in a customer service in a bookstore, and many times I said "no, we don't have this book, it's out-of-print" only to have the client asking me "...but can you get it for me?"

No. It's OUT-OF-PRINT. But if I yelled at the client for being stupid, not only we would lose him, but he would complain to my boss who would complain to me.

Honestly, this is the price of working with/for people. But in my experience working with people, the hysterical ones who refuse to listen are a minority - a horribly LOUD minority. Most of people have the sense not to shoot the messenger.

Don't know, maybe i should be more loving, but thinking of what time i spent listening to BS and thinking to myself "is it that you are blind?

Again, from my experience, when the client became too difficult to deal with and I felt I was losing my temper, I'd pass the phone to someone else. Usually my boss (who was a good boss and helped with the clients instead of telling you to fix the problem yourself, lol)!

I think it can work the same way with a reader and a sitter. If the querent is coming for the 10th time, with the same issue, and refuses to listen to what you are saying, you should clearly tell them that you are not working well together and that you'll indicate another trustworthy reader for them to get a 'second opinion' from. People love getting second opinions. Psychologists do that, when they realize they cannot help that patient.

I just disagree with the strategy of being blunt to everyone just to punish the loud and annoying minority. But you don't have to sacrifice your peace of mind for someone who just wants an audience to her hystrionic attacks.

Ugh. Sometimes, after such readings - i think that "normal" people get on without readings - they sob a bit, speak to a friend or two and they go on with their lives; while we get the the - willingly or not - delusional ones. :rolleyes:

ROFLMAO! :laugh:

And I quote: "I don't sugar coat the "medicine," but after you can have a spoonful of honey and a snuggle."

Honest and encouraging. When I see the Tower I don't see nor say "There is something false in your life that's going to crumble down and it's probably going to be painful."

I say "There is something false in your life that's going to come crumbling down and it'll probably be painful, but this is something that is necessary and you can build something better and stronger to replace it" <-- Spoonful of honey.

I think we all should be honest and encouraging, I just think we need to be careful about how we communicate our honesty, that's it all. In your previous post, it seemed to me your attitude was not so careful in this aspect, but now that you have explained it better to me, I can see your point. :)

And that's just with one card, I never give just the negative, that's not what Tarot is about. Tarot is about finding solutions to your problems and I know even the most negative cards in the deck have something positive and helpful if you see past their intimidating nature. I will be honest about the problem and I will always add the solution.

I agree. I just said that we need to be careful on HOW we deliver the message, because many people come to us in moments of vulnerability. "Feelings are everywhere -- be gentle" (J. Masai) ;)

moderndayruth

Haha, i agree with all you say!
"I just disagree with the strategy of being blunt to everyone just to punish the loud and annoying minority. But you don't have to sacrifice your peace of mind for someone who just wants an audience to her hystrionic attacks."
That's the real art - to find that middle way... Ugh. Lol! Sometimes i feel such absolute love for the "flawed" humanity (right, because i am *perfect* :rolleyes:) and you know, patience and compassion and all... and sometimes i just feel like showering the bloody ... pardon - dear querent with abundance of ice-cold water! })
Shh, but last time i checked, readers were human too! :p

Barleywine

This cuts right to the heart of one of the thorniest challenges in tarot reading: what do you do with a particularly nasty card in a particularly sensitive position in the spread? (As we all know, it happens all too often!) Being honest, you obviously want to ensure that the querent understands that something truly unpleasant may be afoot in his or her life, but you ideally want to do it in a way that gives them insight into the different ways it might manifest, and the fore-knowledge to meet it intelligently. I usually step lightly at first, since I do all my readings face-to-face. I will feed the querent a "feeler" question or two regarding any indications or premonitions they may have had about trouble brewing in the area of interest. If they latch onto that and readily relate to the hints given, I will progress more boldly. If not, I will try other preliminary approaches to "open up" the matter in as sensitive a way as possible. For example, it may be a good time to couch your inquiries in a slightly more abstract, psychological or historical tone, to explore how the querent might respond (or perhaps has responded in the past) to the type of stimulus shown. Ultimately, though, you have to serve them the "beef," and by then, if they are at all attuned to what you've been saying, they'll be clamoring for it. I guess at that point I just channel my inner Mary Poppins and go for it :D

ekb

The cards DO NOT LIE !!!!!
...but people do. Especially to themselves.

I'm blunt-ish with people when I read. Unless I have some ulterior purpose for stretching out a reading (such as when I used to work phones or when I was doing timed readings and knew that any other questions they posed in the remaining time would be rehashes of the crapage of their first question...), I'd say what the cards were (objective, observable facts) then my initial impressions of the cards and how they relate to each other. If that doesn't work, I look to secondary associations and bad puns (2S = scissors, cutting, etc). But I divest myself of any stake in the reading other than giving a good one.

If I'm having a feeling about the reading *before* the reading, then I'm reading the person and not the cards. So I'll be blunt with them: I could give them advice based on what I know and can see of their language and behavior, or I could read the cards. If they want me to read the cards, I just read the cards ... and stop just short of that hunt for meaning. It's too easy to slide into advising if I start fishing for meaning. If I'm not hitting with that initial impression, I leave it as "I guess I'm not getting what you're looking for on a gut level. Maybe you should take that as a sign to trust your own gut on this..."

Again, blunt-ish.

I also try not to do readings for friends. Acquaintances, definitely I'll read for... but if I know you well enough to consider you my friend, that's another story.

Briar Rose

This has been bothering me all week! Last weekend we had an impromptu party at my house. It started off as me&myfriend Jane having dinner at my house, on the deck and when it started to get dark I got out my light box and the Transparent deck to read for my friend Jane.

That reading was excellent. Then my boyfriend cane home with 2 couples; one being his nephew and his live in girl friend.

Well, everyone ended up with wanting a reading. When I got to the nephew all his cards were swords and cups, and I didn't exactly tell the truth about his reading because I didn't want to cause any trouble.

Debra, oh brave one, I couldn't just say, Here's what the cards say. I kept my mouth shut because this boy is headed for a heartbreak.