The Chariot and the astro sign Cancer -- huh?

Myrrha

Of all the astrological associations this is the one that makes the least amount of sense to me.

The Chariot seems to me to have a fire-y, driven, commanding energy. The energy of Cancer seems much more nurturing and caring if wet and sloppy and clinging. The only thing they seem to have in common is tenacity.

The only explanation I've read that really seemed to connect them is the Dragon Tarot where the Chariot driver is described as a mother looking for her lost child. Even that doesn't really work because the Chariot just isn't usually about looking for lost children.

What am I not getting? How do you connect the Chariot with Cancer?

rwcarter

Well, the Chariot is actually a water card, believe it or not. Very few decks show the card anywhere near water though....

Rodney

Myrrha

rwcarter said:
Well, the Chariot is actually a water card, believe it or not. Very few decks show the card anywhere near water though....

Rodney

But why is the Chariot a water card? How do you connect the energy and meaning of the Chariot with water?

rwcarter

Golden Dawn elemental associations put the Chariot as a water card. I don't know why, but they did. The Whispering Tarot and the Legacy of the Divine Tarot are but two of the very few decks I've seen that show the Chariot in or near water.

Rodney

goddessof1967

I think its more about the lesson of the card that's meant to be learned by the relative sun sign. Sun signs are less about the external personality of a person and more about how they operate from the inside plus the qualities of that particular sign being what that person needs to learn or master in this lifetime.

In this way the Chariot is related to Cancer in that probably the biggest challenge that the Cancerian has is to master emotional control. Not only control but channeling that control and immense strength and power to positive outcomes.

Cancerians can also be very charming and persuasive so in the negative sense very manipulative. The challenge again is to control and channel that ability to 'good' rather than 'evil.

It is also about resisting the urge to look back and live in the past and about moving forward at all times.

That's what I reckon anyway.

tarotlyn

Myrrha said:
Of all the astrological associations this is the one that makes the least amount of sense to me.

The Chariot seems to me to have a fire-y, driven, commanding energy. The energy of Cancer seems much more nurturing and caring if wet and sloppy and clinging. The only thing they seem to have in common is tenacity.
I think you found the key..."tenacity" or "determination"

...and definitely as goddessof1967 said about the challenge to control.

:):heart:Lyn

Myrrha

goddessof1967 said:
Sun signs are less about the external personality of a person and more about how they operate from the inside plus the qualities of that particular sign being what that person needs to learn or master in this lifetime.

In this way the Chariot is related to Cancer in that probably the biggest challenge that the Cancerian has is to master emotional control. Not only control but channeling that control and immense strength and power to positive outcomes.

Cancerians can also be very charming and persuasive so in the negative sense very manipulative. The challenge again is to control and channel that ability to 'good' rather than 'evil.

It is also about resisting the urge to look back and live in the past and about moving forward at all times.

That's what I reckon anyway.

OK, this makes sense!! I didn't know that about the sun signs being about what we have to learn and master. Thanks so much it makes more sense now. It will be interesting to go back and look at the other astrological correspondances in this light.

balenciaga

it is a water card (cancer)

I also think I read that cancer has a hard shell like the cancer-crab; the charioteer is wearing his armor. He protects his inner emotions this way, and concentrates on driving his chariot, aligning the two sphinxes (one is head, the other heart).

faunabay

I've been following this thread closely. Because I'd always wondered about this as well. I am a Cancer and this didn't fit with me....but if I think of this as something I need to work on......that makes more sense.

balenciaga

I guess if someone is a water sign, a cancer in this case, their emotions are very deep, or they are sensitive to the emotions and emotional/spiritual content. It would make sense that one would have to don armour in order to steel oneself in order to drive with such intensity.