The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford

sweet_intuition

Has anyone read this book? It's totally awesomely funny... and finally, I have a book about Qabala that answers all my silly questions (like in why is it spelt differently with a K and a C .. or.. how to you pronouce the words.)

I've only read uptill the chapter on the Hebrew Alphabets, but I skipped over to the Tarot section.. and it was fascinating.

What I enjoyed most was how he used a celtic cross of majors : - Empress, Hierophant, The Hanged Man, Tower, The World, The Emperor, The High Priestess, Hermit, Sun, and Justice cards... but used the hebrew alphabets assigned to them to interpret... "Dump The Girl"... Genius!!!

Plus this is the first time I have laughed out loud reading about any spiritual subject

Would love to hear what you all think. And has anyone tried using the hebrew letters assigned to the majors to interpret a spread??

Love and Blessings

:)

Alissa

Lon Milo DuQuette strikes again! Hubby just finished that book as well and enjoyed it... I'll be reading it next and glad to hear another confirm their enjoyment of the volume.

edited to add: the "shin" debate should kick in about... now. Umbrae will come along shortly and tell you what he disagrees with Lon about, and first Hebrew letter assignments, etc etc.

Aeon418

I think it's probably the best introduction ever written for the Golden Dawn Qabalah. It's clear and straight forward, while being both humorous and educational at the same time.

Personally I like all of Lon's books. It's obvious that he's a good communicator. He has that peculiar knack for explanation that seperates a good teacher from a boring lecturer.

mollymawk

It is a wonderful intro to GD kabbalah. But don't skip the alphabet chapter!

Even though I know Hebrew, I laughed myself silly over some of the descriptions, like 'Lamed (the Hebrew letter) looks like a snake that swallowed a brick and is now having second thoughts' :)

A painless way to learn :)

sweet_intuition

mollymawk said:
Even though I know Hebrew, I laughed myself silly over some of the descriptions, like 'Lamed (the Hebrew letter) looks like a snake that swallowed a brick and is now having second thoughts' :)

A painless way to learn :)

Lol... also how he described the sexual nature of "Yod" as Yod means Hand, and the hand is the first sexual partner we all have..lol.. brilliant

Alissa

I know I'm going to be ducking the rotten tomatoes, but....

I'm halfway through, and I love his humor. But many of Duquette's Tarot associations make no sense to me (I admit to being a novice at Qaballah!)

But... Heh is "suggestive of all things receptive, female or negatively charged" = Emperor?

Zain = "A sword is also an instrument of division, separating one thing from another (like your enemy's head from his shoulders)...the opposite of Vau, which unites things." = Lovers?

Mem "suggests all things liquid, espeically life giving or life supporting fluids, such as blood, semen or wine."=Hanged Man?

Some of his associations I can stretch enough to make sense, but others I just don't see the connection. And even while posing these questions while reading the book, I hear the great "shin" debate beginning in my head.

But his humor is great, and I'm a student who appreciates an irreverent but informative look at the topic which I'm learning. :D

sweet_intuition

Hey Alissa

Lol, you don't need to duck... I'm no expert on Qabala or anything, but from whatever I've read and studdied, lemme try to answer some queries..

Alissa said:
But... Heh is "suggestive of all things receptive, female or negatively charged" = Emperor?

This is where the Thoth tarot comes in, as Crowley replaced Heh with 'The Star' and consequently replaced Tzaddi with 'The Emperor'... at first I didn't understand why Crowley did this, but after reading the meanings for the Hebrew letters, it made sense... I think since this book was published before DuQuette wrote his book about the crowley tarot, he didn't make the changes as well. Plus I think he figured that not all the people who'd read this book would have the Thoth Tarot, and hence went with the flow of the regular RWS styled decks

Mem "suggests all things liquid, espeically life giving or life supporting fluids, such as blood, semen or wine."=Hanged Man?

Well, this has to do with the fact that the Hanged Man corresponds with Neptune, and neptune rules all the bodily fluids in the human body, as well as, things like wine and other watery neptune assosiations

Some of his associations I can stretch enough to make sense, but others I just don't see the connection. And even while posing these questions while reading the book, I hear the great "shin" debate beginning in my head.

What is this whole "Shin" Debate... please throw some light on the matter.

Hope this helps

:)

Aeon418

Alissa said:
In this instance DuQuette has stuck to the original Golden Dawn correspondences because of their popularity and wide use among esoteric students. Being a Thelemite he actually uses the correspondences of Aleister Crowley. The Star - Heh, The Emperor - Tzaddi. If you reread the appropriate sections you will notice that he is hinting at this. Golden Dawn people usually start frothing at the mouth when you mention this swap though. :laugh:
Alissa said:
Zain = "A sword is also an instrument of division, separating one thing from another (like your enemy's head from his shoulders)...the opposite of Vau, which unites things." = Lovers?
The astrological attribution of the Lovers is Gemini, the twins who are two in one.
"For I am divided for loves sake for the chance of union."
Alissa said:
The blood is the life. Sacrifice (sometimes sexual), baptism by water etc.

coyoteblack

funny you shuld mention this book , after out tarot nyc meet up scion recomended this to me and he has many years of going over this material

Alissa

Thank you for your input, Aeon418... I know you've done a very good deal of research in this area, and I appreciate your post quite a bit!

Aeon418 said:
The astrological attribution of the Lovers is Gemini, the twins who are two in one.
"For I am divided for loves sake for the chance of union."
Yes, but although I see Choices as a larger "keyword" for Lovers, which could connote separation in some circumstances, I don't see the Lovers as a card which speaks of influences which separate and polarize. Would Gemini's twins signify two halves which Unite, or two halves which choose to Remain Divided? I think of the first... it seems Duquette associates the Lovers as a card of discord, or events which do *not* bring about union. I agree with your quote, and find it powerful (even alchemical) unions to be referenced by the Lovers - I do not see the separation of influences, but their unique combination being referenced.

Duquette stresses the separateness and uses weapons repeatedly to make his point. It just seems so anti-Lovers to me...?

The blood is the life. Sacrifice (sometimes sexual), baptism by water etc.
Sacrifice, yes... there's a keyword I also use for Hanged Man, but Duquette doesn't touch. His writing implies the Hanged Man has nothing more than liquid associtiations, and I don't envision baptism by water as a "sacrifice." (Maybe, if you really stretched the theory, you could connote sacrificing one secular life to live a holier one). But again, sacrifice is what jumps to mind, not water (or semen or blood).

Well, baptism by blood... someone sacfiriced the liquid then! Perhaps I am too attached to my Odin-on-the-world-tree image of sacrifice and the Hanged Man. I just don't see "liquid" in the card. If someone said, "Blood, semen, wine... name that card!" I'd probably answer, "Emperor," or maybe "Devil" but...?

Ah well, even if I can't "get it" I do appreciate the dialogue here!

[His chapter on the four levels of consciousness ties in so nicely to all the thought forms theories I've been doing, it's refreshing to find Qaballah embraces this so nicely... I don't want to seem as if I disagree with everything he's written. But most of the Tarot associations? They make no immediate sense to me at all. I've even leaned towards Golden Dawn associations more often in my own reading framework but...?]