the decks that deserve better

Le Fanu

(The idea arose out of the "Collectible decks" thread. Souljourney said I should start a new thread on it when I broached the idea...)

The decks you would use more if they came with a decent accompanying book (or even LWB for that matter?) Or even the decks that come with sort-of-OK books/LWBs but which really deserve better.

OK, I will probably be told to go and read intuitively, and there'll be no shortage of posts from people who say they never read the books, but I think most of us know the value of an in-depth, stimulating book to get us into the zone for working with a deck, seeing the artist's perspective and being provoked to think in different ways.

Surely, number one, top of the list, would be the Liber T.

Wouldn't it?

Mojo Twin 2

I love the deck to pieces, but I sure wish Tarot of the Sweet Twilight had a book like the Fey Tarot. There's so much to the deck and the book is so beguilingly sparse.

pippi

Tarot of the Master (Vacchetta), for sure!

Vesper

I got the Nefertari not long ago. I really wish it had a companion book. Is there a reason for the objects and symbols used? Who are the gods?

The deck is gorgeous, but, like Lucy, it "has some 'splainin to do."

Le Fanu

(... Oh dear, I hope they're not all going to be Scarabeo decks :()

Fabiannemo

Well, this deck does actually have a companion book you can buy separately, but as le Fanu specified "decent" I'm including it.

Luis Royo's darkly beautiful "Labyrinth Tarot" is a beautiful deck and the book is rather beautiful too, except that the astrological associations that Royo gives the Majors and Court cards aren't explained and they're not traditional.

ETA:
Le Fanu said:
(... Oh dear, I hope they're not all going to be Scarabeo decks :()
... this deck also happens to be an LS.

rwcarter

The Mona Lisa jumps right to mind.

Definitely the Liber T, but there is Scion's wonderful PDF to pick up the slack there.

The Dante.

The Book of Kaos Tarot.

The Rohrig.

Silicon Dawn Tarot.

(3 LoS, 3 not. :D)

Promise

I REALLY wish the Paulina had come with a companion book. It would have been helpful to be able to get into the artists mind as to why certain details were included, like the little animals and such. You know there has to be a reason they were included, but it's sort of a guessing game.

And personally, I'd like it if the Vieville had an English LWB or even a book. I love the deck to bits, but...there are SO many atypical cards there, even for a TdM, and it would be nice to have a reference included with the deck.

jackdaw*

Any of the Minchiates. I know that the Brian Williams one has one, and I found it wonderful for the history and iconography, but as Le Fanu will surely agree there isn't much useful there on actually reading with Minchiates.

... though I must admit to being one of the "I don't read companion books" people ...

faunabay

Here's one that does have a book but I wish it had more information in it.
Deidre of the Sorrows I love the deck but it has all this symbology that I can't even begin to understand why it's there or sometimes even what exactly it is.

Lo Scarabeo deck

Liber T

Tarot of the Master

Classical / Soprafino