The Devil You Say! Gog and Maggoing Along.

Rosanne

As Meryl Streep said in 'Out of Africa', "I once had a farm in -Africa", I say I know where that is because I have a wonderful book of ancient maps called "Mapping the World" by Michael Swift.
But to introduce you to where I am going with this (and it is not about the final Armageddon) here is some web info
Revelations tells of the end of the world, when Gog and Magog are let loose. Saint Augustine describes it in his book City of God as: "And when the thousand years are finished, Satan shall be loosed from his prison, and shall go out to seduce the nations which are in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, and shall draw them to battle, whose number is as the sand of the sea." This, then, is his purpose in seducing them, to draw them to this battle. For even before this he was wont to use as many and various seductions as he could continue. And the words "he shall go out" mean, he shall burst forth from lurking hatred into open persecution. For this persecution, occurring while the final judgment is imminent, shall be the last which shall be endured by the holy Church throughout the world, the whole city of Christ being assailed by the whole city of the devil, as each exists on earth. For these nations which he names Gog and Magog are not to be understood of some barbarous nations in some part of the world, whether the Getae and Massagetae, as some conclude from the initial letters, or some other foreign nations not under the Roman government. For John marks that they are spread over the whole earth, when he says, "The nations which are in the four corners of the earth," and he added that these are Gog and Magog. The meaning of these names we find to be, Gog, (a roof), Magog, (from a roof )- a house, as it were, and he who comes out of the house. They are therefore the nations in which we found that the devil was shut up as in an abyss, and the devil himself coming out from them and going forth, so that they are the roof, he from the roof. "
What I was wondering is about the Visconti cards. They do not seem to have had a Devil and a Tower card are these two possibly missing cards the King of the North and the King of the South? The Maps that I have show in the area of the East of the Holy lands a headless man with a face on the torso (belly) and I was wondering if this headless image was Gog and Magog of the Bible- not shown in the Visconti but shown in the TdM? In the maps it usually is taken to be the Tartars sweeping through Persia and that is reinforced by appearing on the Catalan Map of 1375. Was this in the TdM (tower and Devil) a memory of this?
~Rosanne

Rosanne

Maybe these creatures thought of as Gog and Magog were really Blemmyes? There are woodcuts of some in the Nuremberg Chronicle of 1493 and in the Cosmographia of Sebastian Munster in 1544 for example.
The Blemmyes (Latin Blemmyae) are a race of legendary creatures that were said to live in Africa, in Nubia, Kush, or Ethiopia, generally south of Egypt. They were believed to be acephalous (headless) monsters who had eyes and mouths in their bellies. Pliny the Elder writes of them that Blemmyes traduntur capita abesse, ore et oculis pectore adfixis ("It is said that the Blemmyes have no heads, and that their mouth and eyes are put in their chests").

The Blemmyes were, in fact, a nomadic Nubian tribe described in Roman histories of the later empire. From the late third century on, along with another tribe, the Nobadae, they repeatedly fought the Romans.

Some authors derive the story of the Blemmyes from this, that their heads were hid between their shoulders, by hoisting those up to an extravagant height. Samuel Bochart derives the word Blemmyes from two Hebrew terms, one a negation, the other meaning "brain", implying that the Blemmyes were people without brains. (wikipedia)

The timing of printing and Tarot and world maps like the Hereford Mappa Mundi, and these fantastical creatures, appear to me to be part of describing the biblical tract of Ezekiel chapter 38 The Lord spoke to me. "Mortal Man" he said, "denounce Gog, chief ruler of the nations of Meshech and Tubal in the land of Magog . Denounce him and tell him I, the Sovereign Lord, am his enemy."
Ging back to the first quote where Gog means roof (and is pronounced Gorrr)
and Magog means 'he who comes out of the house' seems very like the Tower cards especially someone coming out from the Tower on fire- which was the punishment the God said he would visit on Gog. (*amongst other things)
I do find it strange that the Tower and The Devil do not appear in the Visconti it seems, but appear in the TdM. This makes me think that the TdM is more like a set of images portraying the reforming revolution against the Church, that I was questioning in the Thread about Tarot reflecting the Reformation rather than Salvation and behaving oneself and recognising ones station in life. Any thoughts? ~Rosanne

BrightEye

Rosanne, I've jumping up and down in excitement ever since I read your posts early this morning. Those men without heads are interesting, and if my memory serves me correctly, there is a connection with Gog and Magog, but I can't remember where I've read that. Possibly Sir John Mandeville or Marco Polo.

Interestingly, the location of the Acephali shifts from Africa to the Middle or Far East to the New World. Herodotus writes about them (he locates them in Africa), then Marco Polo and Sir John Mandeville (Asia), and then Sir Walter Raleigh in The Discoverie of the Large, Rich and Bewtiful Empyre of Guiana, where they become the Ewaipanoma, who are 'reported to have eyes in their shoulders, and their mouths in the middle of their breasts, & that a long train of haire groweth backward between their shoulders'. I guess they are a stand-in for everything that is beyond the known/Christian world as quotation in your first post suggests, i.e. the nations of the devil. There must be a reason why the devil in the Visconti decks now on the market shows a creature much like the Acephali. (Gog and Magog definitely sound like the devil and the tower)

The men without heads are also intimately associated with the land of Eldorado. There is this idea of a millenarian 'new earth', which is associated with the New World. The New World as a second creation and utopia, the location of the Earthly Paradise according to Columbus. But it's also the place where all the monstrosities ever invented in Europe and peopling the medieval maps of the east come together. They all shift to the New World in the 16th century.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but the TdM was influenced by European occult traditions, no? And there is a link between alchemy and the search for Eldorado. Raleigh was friends with John Dee after all. I don't know where that leaves the idea of the Reformation.

Sorry, it's probably not what you are looking for at all, but it got me all excited in my own little way. Thanks!

Aulruna

I only knew them as the two clock guys in Melbourne...

Wikipedia said:
Gog and Magog appear as a pair of statues in the Royal Arcade which runs from Little Collins Street to Bourke Street, between Swanston Street and Elizabeth Street in Melbourne, Australia. The two seven-foot figures are carved from pine and stand alongside a clock and bells. They represent the mythological figures who were conscripted by the Trojans to fight against the ancient Britons (according to the information under the clock). They are well over 100 years old and strike the time on the hour and each quarter-hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Royal_arcade_melbourne_gog_and_magog.jpg

jmd

Although the Tower either does not appear or is not extent in the Visconti, this does not mean that it is absent from other decks of the period - example, the 'Charles VI' deck from the 15th century.

...but to return to the Devil as Gog and Magog, it does lead to an intriguing question: why is the Devil depicted as it is with two 'minions' that appear tethered to the Devil's anvil?

I realise I have provided some of my own reflections on this in other threads, but the question remains quite an open and interesting one that has never, to my satisfaction at any rate, been sufficiently addressed!

BrightEye

jmd said:
Although the Tower either does not appear or is not extent in the Visconti, this does not mean that it is absent from other decks of the period - example, the 'Charles VI' deck from the 15th century.
And as to the devil, Giordano Berti says that the 'Rothschild-Blatt' (sorry, I'm working from a German translation) of Bologna (early 16th century) shows a devil figure that sounds very similar to the devil that is now part of the Visconti reproductions.

Rosanne

I am glad you liked the thread BrightEye- and yes Gog and Magog were always about those 'devils' from over there- Like the East for instance.(In my childhood they were Jewish an derogatory way) Interesting what you say Acephali. Like the Eldorado connection for reasons other than Tarot.

Aulruna- that made me laugh so much! I can remember seeing them. They look like the Gogs of my childhood. Turkish Jewish Giants lol. Thanks for that- but where are their tatts? In a way they look like map depictions of the Kings of the South and North who are in maps called Gogh and Magog

jmd- Yes I know about Charles V1 cards- was not sure I wanted to go there lol
but I find the appearance of the images in the Visconti very Catholic if you get my drift and the TdM not so much. I do not know how to explain what I mean. The Visconti although handpainted look more like Holy Pictures and like illustrations of Bibles and Prayer books- the TdM like it is explaining something different(like a pilgrimage). It of course may just be my eye and the woodcuts. Which brings me to the anvil and the tethering. In ezkiel 36 It talks about the Lord's blessing on Israel and how they shall be free from their idols and filthiness. I think that the TdM might be alluding to the followers of the Prophet Mohammed- the black stone of Mecca- Kaaba - those over there- the Gogs of Magog. The Qur'an I believe, though I do not know from reading it that they speak of Gog and Magog many times. To me it looks like the minions are the antithesis of the clergy in the Le Pape they are the clergy who by the Hajj are forced to pilgrimage to Mecca. So they are of the Devil. The Stone the Devil is on is the Kaaba perhaps. ~Rosanne

kwaw

The spindle of Eve, symbol of toil following the fall, is broken at the redemption of eve and restoration of the cosmos, Mother of All:

http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=10151

The two demi-goblins with the devil at the beginning of the third septenary, taken together with what may be seen as the broken spindle of Eve in the World to Come ~ reminds me of the two demon like knights, born of a demon and a mortal woman, in Chrétien's Yvain, who keep three hundred maidens imprisoned in the workhouse of their Castle of Sorrowfull Adventures, where they are continuously engaged in an endless task of weaving (until they are freed by Yvaine, the knight with a Lion, who beats the two demonic knights in combat).

But as an essentially Chistian salvation cycle it makes sense too that they may represent Judaism and Islam as the two 'enemies' of Christianity.

Kwaw

mjhurst

Gog & Magog and beyond...

kwaw said:
The two demi-goblins with the devil at the beginning of the third septenary ...

But as an essentially Chistian salvation cycle it makes sense too that they may represent Judaism and Islam as the two 'enemies' of Christianity.

In the TdM version of the trump cycle, we see three cards with such subordinate figures. The Pope and the Devil are strikingly parallel in their composition. But first we need to back up a bit.

The Emperor and Pope, along with lesser figures, are portrayed together in many works of didactic art, most often in Triumph of Death works (like the famous examples from Bologna, Palermo, Pisa, and Clusone) and Dance of Death works. In such works they convey the idea that all stations of mankind, i.e., Everyman, is subject to Death. Thus, the lowest trumps need to be interpreted as being such a ranks of man. The middle trumps contain some of the most common allegorical subjects in art and literature of the period, including Love, Time, Fortune, Death, and the three Moral Virtues. Beginning with the Devil, however, we move from representatives of Mankind and allegorical circumstances of life to the realm of eschatology. In that section we see the triumph over the Devil via fire from heaven (in the Tower) and the ultimate triumph over Death via the Angel of Resurrection.

The highest section of the Tarot sequence begins with the Devil. This takes us into a third realm of existence, a third type of subject matter, eschatological. The best proof text comes, not surprisingly, from Revelation. “When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison and go out to deceive the nations, Gog and Magog... But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur....” (Rev 20:7-10.) This description of the Devil and Lightning/Fire cards is fairly direct, and signals the beginning of the End Times, immediately after the Millennium. “The first angel sounded the trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down upon the earth.” (Rev 8:7.) This victory was made possible by Christ, whose self-proclaimed title as author of Revelation was “the bright Morning Star”. (Rev 22:16; cf. Rev 2:26-28.) This triptych, Devil, Lightning, Star, shows Christ’s triumph over Satan, one of his two eschatological adversaries.

The other great opponent is Death. “Since the children have flesh and blood, [Christ] too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil...” (Heb 2:14.) “For [Christ] must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death.” (1 Co 15:25-26.) After the Devil is vanquished in Revelation 20:9, the dead arise, “and death and Hades give up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire.” (Rev 20:14.) In Tarot, the triumph over death is shown via resurrection. Typologically the resurrected faithful are the New Jerusalem. This explains the sequence of Moon, Sun, and either the Angel (of resurrection) or World (showing New Jerusalem), in terms of Revelation 21:23. New Jerusalem “does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.” “The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said: The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he will reign for ever and ever.” (Rev 11:15.)

From the first trumpet to the last, the triumph over Christ’s two eschatological adversaries is the required conclusion to the "economy of salvation", the narrative thread that runs from Genesis through the Gospels and finds its resolution in Revelation. The defeat of the Devil and triumph over Death from chapter 20 of Revelation are linked to Adam’s sin and punishment, as well as Jesus’ death and resurrection, and thus conclude Christian history. Because of the deeply interrelated typology created by the Church over the centuries, such a simple design can effectively epitomize, or at least call to mind, the entire Christian mythos of man and God, beginning with Adam’s Fall from grace, through Christ’s death and resurrection, to the Apocalyptic denouement of the Last Judgment and the new world to come, the “world without end.”

ASSUMING some such design, at least in TdM, we can get back to the Pope and Devil. In the lowest section of the trumps the highest figure is the Pope, while the Devil is the lowest figure in the highest section. Their composition in TdM is strikingly parallel: They both have a large central figure, crowned, making a “blessing” gesture with the right hand and holding a “scepter” in the left. (No such pairing occurs in any other deck.) Each central figure has two subordinate figures in the foreground, and there are also two figures falling from the Tower. (The two subordinates are unusual on other Pope or Tower cards, they appear on no other Devil cards.) This composition, a dominant central figure with two subordinates, appears on no other cards in the TdM trumps. Such an iconographic pairing of Pope with Devil would be obviously meaningful given the beliefs of the time. For several centuries the populace had been awaiting the End Times, and legend held that the Antichrist would be Pope.

Martin Luther was not (as is often supposed) the first to hit upon the idea that the Antichrist who sets up his throne in the Temple can be no other than the Pope at Rome and that the Church of Roms is therefore the Church of Satan. Amongst the eschatologically minded in the later Middle Ages the idea was already a commonplace. Even such a champion of the Church as St. Bernard could come to believe, in his tense expectatio of the final drama, that many of the clergy belonged to the hosts of Antichrist. And in the pronouncements of the propheta who was burnt as a heretic at Paris in 1209 similar ideas appear as an integral part of a doctrine which clearly drew heavily upon the Johannine and Sibylline traditions, Thios man, a cleric turned goldsmith, foretold that within five years the people would be consumed by famine, the kings would slay one another with the sword, the earth would open and swallow up the twon-dwellers and finally fire would fall upon those members of Antichrist, the prelates of the Church. For, he insisted, the Pope was Antiochrist, on account of the power he held; and the Babylon of the Apocalypse was really Rome.... Any Millenarian movement was in fact almost compelled by the situation in which it found itself to see the clergy as a demonic fraternity.
Norman Cohn, The Pursuit of the Millennium.

The Devil is thus shown as a perverted version of the Pope, and the small figures, tonsured clergy in the Pope card, become corrupt demons in the Devil card. This identification of the Pope and Antichrist was current for centuries before Tarot was invented, and remained a mainstream Christian legend for centuries after. Protestant propagandists made a great deal out of that legend, and it is, in fact, still prevalent today. The point here, however, is that by revising the iconography of both Pope and Devil cards to make them cognate compositions, a secondary tale could be told about the cleansing of the corrupt Church at the End Times. This happens in the Tower.

The TdM Tower card, and no other, is called la Maison Dieu, the House of God. Many interpretations have been offered for this, most of them explaining it away rather than explaining it. The name has been widely considered to be uninformative or even misleading, perhaps a mistake of translation from Casa del Diav[olo]. The apparent problem is, why would fire from heaven be striking the House of God? In the Millennialist context discussed above, the destruction of the House of God, i.e., the Church, coming as it does after the rise the Antichrist to the papacy as shown in the Devil card, makes complete and perfect sense. The ascension of the Antichrist to the head of the Church would mark its ultimate corruption, at which point the Millennialist mythology said it would be destroyed. Returning to the interpretation from Revelation 20, immediately after the passage about Satan’s post-millennial release and his subsequent deception of the nations, “fire came down from heaven and destroyed them”. Various other explanations for the use of a tower can be offered in other decks, but the pairing of Pope and Devil, combined with the name House of God, provides another, specific to TdM: Turris Ecclesia, the Tower of the Church.

The TdM Tower appears to represent the Turris Ecclesia of St. Hildegard of Bingen. Both “Tower” and “House of God” are perfectly correct names—it is both a tower and the House of God, i.e., the Church. Significant elements of Hildegard’s description also fit the TdM image: The Turris Ecclesia is a round tower, white, with three windows. Although the stenciled colors vary from one TdM deck to another, these elements fit the TdM card rather well. Then there are the details of what is happening in the TdM image. The tower itself stands intact, while the “crown” is blown off, and two figures are thrown down. The white tower itself represents the true Church, made up of the faithful. (Cf. II Co 3:9-17.) The crown represents the head of the Church, i.e., the Antichrist who has become pope. Architecturally, the crenelated top of a tower is called the crown, for obvious reasons. Via metonymy, the crown represents the head of the Church, i.e., the pope. The falling figures represent the corrupt clergy, who are shown on the previous card (and on the Pope card). The corrupt Church is destroyed, while the cleansed Church of the faithful, the tower itself, remains unscathed. This is yet another difference between the TdM Tower and other Tarot Tower cards in which the tower itself is broken.

There is a fundamental distinction between the Church as the corporation of the faithful, the Bride of Christ, Heavenly Jerusalem, etc., and the worldly Church, which is the corporation of the corrupt, and which is to be destroyed. This distinction is made clear in the card, when understood via Hildegard’s vision. Hildegard writes:

Now the reason why you see a huge round tower entirely built of white stone is because the sweetness of the Holy Spirit is immense and comprehensively includes all creatures in its grace, so that no corruption in the integrity of the fullness of justice destroys it; since glowing, it points the way and sends forth all rivers of sanctity in the clarity of its strength, in which there is found no spot of any foulness. Wherefore the Holy Spirit is ablaze, and its burning serenity which strongly kindles the fiery virtues will never be destroyed; so all darkness is put to flight by it.

In other words, the Church is cleansed by the Holy Spirit and still stands intact—as in the Tarot image. St. Paul says that the Antichrist “sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.” (II Th 2:4.) While the popes didn’t claim to be God, they did claim to be the only route to God, and the Church was the only means of salvation. “And then the lawless one [Antichrist] will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming.” (II Th 2:8.) Another of the iconographic oddities of TdM is that the Tower is struck by something looking like half fire, half wind (breath). So... one layer of meaning of the Tower card in the context of the Pope and Devil/Antichrist cards, with their pairs of minions, is the cleansing of the House of God.

kwaw

kwaw said:
The two demi-goblins with the devil at the beginning of the third septenary, taken together with what may be seen as the broken spindle of Eve in the World to Come ~ reminds me of the two demon like knights, born of a demon and a mortal woman, in Chrétien's Yvain, who keep three hundred maidens imprisoned in the workhouse of their Castle of Sorrowfull Adventures, where they are continuously engaged in an endless task of weaving (until they are freed by Yvaine, the knight with a Lion, who beats the two demonic knights in combat).

Kwaw

In the British romance tradition Gog and Magog, like the two demi-devils of Chretien’s tale of Yvaine (Owain in the welsh version) were of a race of Giants of Albion born of demons and mortal women.

As well as travelling with a lion (his shield in heraldic listings is described as ‘Azure, a lion Or’, in Huon de Mery’s Tuornoi d’Antichrist c.1230 it is described and symbolising valour and liberality), Yvaine travels with a disenfranchised sister robbed of her inheritance:

“Let us look at an episode in Chrétien's twelfth-century tale of Yvain , where the hero arrives at the Castle of Most Ill Adventure (Pesme Aventure), a workhouse where three hundred maidens weave silk under the command of two demi-goblins, beings born of an incubus demon and a mortal woman. By the time Yvain arrives he has the aura of a Christian deliverer because he is traveling with a tame lion and a young woman who has been disinherited by her elder sister. The foul custom of Pesme Aventure operates figuratively to shadow the struggle of the New Testament (the disinherited sister) as it replaces the Old Law. (In Christian typology, the marriage of Jacob to Leah represented fidelity to the synagogue; his marriage to her sister Rachel represented the transition to the Church.)” {Ross, p.5}

We may perhaps see another typological connection with Jacob in an earlier episode of the tale when he becomes guardian of the fountain. His cousin tells him how of an encounter in the forest seven years before when a giant directed him to a fountain. “Beside it he saw a rock set with precious gems and a tree with with a golden cup hung hanging from it. By pouring water from the cup on to the stone he caused a tremendous thunderstorm which tore all the leaves from the trees. The storm dies down and a host of birds descend on the bare branches, singing beautifully. Then an armed knight appears and challenges him to a duel.” His cousin loses but escapes with his life. Yvaine goes to the forest and the same things happens to him, only he wins against the knight of the fountain and becomes the guardian of the fountain himself and marries the widow of the previous knight with the help of her lady in waiting. {Gerritson, Melle p.305}

The stone that Jacob anoints he calls Bethel, which we may translate as House of God, following a dream in which he dreamed of a ladder going up to heaven and the angels of god descending and ascending upon it (symbolised perhaps by the ascending and descending ranks of the suits). He then journeys on to where he meets Rachel at the well. The trickster Jacob, who managed to trick his older brother of his father’s blessing, is himself tricked into marriage with Leah after 7 years labour; he has to wait then 7 days for his marriage to Rachel, on condition he work another 7 years (3x7).

Leah and Rachel in Christian Typology represent a figure of the old and prefigurement of the new testament, Eve and new Eve, the two venus’s of the platonic world soul (as interpreted by exponents of integumentum and involucrum forms of Christian exegesis of pagan myth and philosophy of the School of Chartres). His journey to his Uncle occurs when he is 77 years old, the number of generations between Adam and the new Adam, Jesus.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1264800&postcount=20

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1265644&postcount=12

(BTW: Any parallels between the tales of Yvaine and the structure and figures of the tarot trumps does not necessarily imply a direct relationship between the two; but rather a common basis in their intertextual references to scripture and the traditions of typological interpretation applied to such within the context of the Christian society of which they are both a product. They both draw upon the same fountain of figurative tropes, the same treasure house of images,narratives and interpretive conventions. Also the Jews in Christian millenarianism are said to convert and join against the enemies of God, Gog and Magog, and are not identified with such.)

Kwaw

Ross, Charles. The Custom of the Castle: From Malory to Macbeth. Berkeley: University of California Press, c1997 1997. http://ark.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/ft3r29n8qn/

Gerritsen, William P. / Melle, Anthony G. van A dictionary of Medieval Heroes.

Genèse 28:22 Et cette pierre que j'ai dressée pour monument, sera la maison de Dieu; et de tout ce que tu m'auras donné, je t'en donnerai entièrement la dîme.