The Devil

BelovedK

pasara said:
another way to think about the devil, instead of as bad or our dark side, is that it represents materialism, sensuality, and attachment, even obsession or addiction. the most interesting aspect to me as far as imagery is that our bondage to the devil is of our own making, it is a mindset, the chains are loose and can be taken off any time if we choose to.

i believe the devil card is usually associated with the sign of capricorn, the emperor is aries. in that light it is earthly to the max.
I thought the Devil was associated with Capricorn as well :) I see the Devil more in this way (materialism, attachment and addictions, and of course obsession) (which actually makes more sense to me the more I think about it, in relation to one of my readings,,, sorry for veering off topic :eek: ) I also think of the goat (capricorn) and Pan, and sensuality and obsession.

Ronia

Well, I'm glad to see this thread because I just posted a reading in Your Readings where I got the Devil in the form of an advice, so to speak, as it fell in the position : What I need to do to access money/prosperity. Now, I can recall a recent thread on prostitution and I hope in my case this is not the meaning but my initial reaction was close to such a reading. I couldn't come up with anything smarter than signing a contract, but it could aslo be a marriage for money, which again is not my preferred reading... The Devil is a difficult card for me when it fells in such positions, I have hard time to interprete it.

Fostha

Ronia said:
Well, I'm glad to see this thread because I just posted a reading in Your Readings where I got the Devil in the form of an advice, so to speak, as it fell in the position : What I need to do to access money/prosperity. Now, I can recall a recent thread on prostitution and I hope in my case this is not the meaning but my initial reaction was close to such a reading. I couldn't come up with anything smarter than signing a contract, but it could aslo be a marriage for money, which again is not my preferred reading... The Devil is a difficult card for me when it fells in such positions, I have hard time to interprete it.
The devil coming up for advice in this type of question i would read as making sure you read all the small print before signing any legally binding contract,or to check out the finer details of a job offer before committing,that sort of thing.Just how id read it anyway.

Ronia

Thanks, Fostha. But the thing is there hasn't been a job offer for years. It turned out to be a very complicated reading, at least for me. If you have time, please check it out in the Your Readings, I will be very grateful. I was asking where to look for a job, what field to direct my energy towards as I've sent hundreds of resumes and to all kinds of fields over the past two years. And I got the Devil as an advice how to access this money/prosperity supposedly existing as a job offer or ... marriage? But I am married already. Crazy thing, really!

Curtis Penfold

Thank you everybody for all your insight. And thank you for correcting me. The traditional sign of the Devil is Capricorn.

Does anybody know of a site that explains the astrological signs relationship to the cards clearly? I'd be very interested.

Once again, thank you everybody for your insight.

katiec950

Curtis Penfold said:
A card that's considered misunderstood. Something about being chained down by our desires. Aries is his sign, fire his elemeny. Sometimes he/she is a hermaphrodite. Possibly a symbol that we're all, male and female, subject to controlling our desires. Can be looked at as either Satan, our shadow, or Pan, a god of pleasure.

Any other thoughts/interpretations?

I agree that this card is misunderstood! To me the devil can mean addictions etc but it can also indicate that we need to let go more. We can give into temptation every so often and it does us good. If someone is being too serious (i.e. all work no play) then this card can be a good push to have fun!

I'm not sure I see it as satan - just temptation!

Just my thoughts
Katie

Curtis Penfold

Maybe the Devil needs a different title, because I'm sure a lot of people y'all are reading for would feel uncomfortable if you were all like, "Oh, the Devil. That means you got to indulge in your desires."

Nevada

Thirteen said:
Um, not if you're going by the Golden Dawn (including Rider-Waite deck). As Pasara said, he's Capricorn and his element is the Earth. All about the material, the sensual, the physical.

Which works if you think of him as less about passion and energy (Aries) or even dominance and more about ambition, greed and physical needs. It connects him up to Pan, god of wild sex and the forest (half-goat), Dionysus, god of wine and wild sex, and Hades, god of the underworld and riches. All very earthy. And, indeed, also with the Christian Devil which is about being tied to the material world rather than thinking of the spiritual. He controls and rules because he is covetous.
Yes, that's how I see the Devil, as Capricorn, down to earth, material, sensual, and I also see him as someone who knows how to have a good time and has an earthy sense of humor.

nisaba

Nevada said:
Yes, that's how I see the Devil, as Capricorn, down to earth, material, sensual, and I also see him as someone who knows how to have a good time and has an earthy sense of humor.
But at the expense of doing what needs to be done. He is undisciplined, and further, he wants all his companions (ie, you) to be undisciplined, too. It's not just about party-time on the weekend - it's about never allowing the party to come to a natural conclusion, even if the beer runs out and the guests are exhausted. It's about sex until you are rubbed raw. It's about fiddling your tax to get more of a refund than you are owed, and fiddling your timesheet to get paid for more hours than you worked - after sleeping on your desk! It's about too much of everything that in small doses might be considered good, making a stable diet out of dessert. It'll totally destroy your life if you don't regognise and resist the Devil. That's what the card is about, to me, and that's how it comes up for my clients.

Thirteen

nisaba said:
That's what the card is about, to me, and that's how it comes up for my clients.
Bummer for your clients ;) I, on the other hand, have often had the Devil come up for people who are all buttoned up, straight-laced, never-let-their-hair-down and are so austere they've forgotten that the material world can be fun.

Granted, I've also had it come up for men who like to encourage ladies to drink till they get sick, but, I'm just saying that it's not always party-till-you-drop. It can be about not being afraid to party.