The Fashion Spread

Shade

So I've been using my tarot cards for a lot of non-traditional readings the last year or so (including selecting my Jamba Juice and Boost (fruit smootie for the uninitiated)). And while trying to help out a friend on her questionable wardrobe decisions I came up wit this one.

It looks like this
----4----
--2---3--
----1----

Card One represents where you are at now. This is your current look and how you are feeling about it. A variation could use two cards at this level, one representing your current look and a second representing what you wanted.

Cards Two and Three are fashion suggestions from the tarot and I haven't really had any set formula for interpreting them.

The elemental rulers of suits often connote choices in color and fabric texture Wands being colors in their most bold and primary
court cards sometimes identify brand classes. Majors usually represent wardrobe and its affect on the identity of the wearer (so far)

Card Four 'm debating over. It usualy feels like there ought to be some sort of concluding card in a reading for tradition's sake but it might just confuse the process. I've done a few readings withut it and it worked just fine.

Here's on eI did last night for m'self using the Fey deck

Card One: 2 of Swords
Card Two: Queen of Chalices
Card Three: Ace of chalices
Card 4: 6 of Swords

Ok so right off the bat we have no Majors (so my current fashion qualms have nothing to do with identity) nad no Pentacles or Wands (which is significant to card One).

The 2 of swords is speaking to my currently being torn between a desire to get a lot of new, interesting clothing that will really stand out from my rather stale wardrobe (wands) and a desire to conserve cash and space and to stick with what I have (pentacles). The fact taht neither wands nor pentacles appear in the reading tells me the reason I'm conflicted on the issue is because neitehr choice serves me in either way.

The Queen and Ace of Cups scream water in a big way, these are the two cards I most fundamentally associate with the primary powers of water. The first message is "complete immersion" in the process. I can't just go pick up one or two interesting shirts or a pair of pants and have any real significant impact on my look. I need to take the time to establish a a more firm foundation here and choose something very lasting. The Water cards suggest not only traditional water colors (blue, sea green, etc) but colors in a deeper more somber tone. For example if I want something red I should go with a deep burgandy. Instead of wearing white I should go cream, deep chocolate insted of brown. Water suggests a level of flexibility in fabrics and a sense of low level movement. Nothing clingy and nothing baggy tat would hide all movement. Cashmere, fleece, linen etc.

I see the courts as relating to brand. Pages might be someting new and very current and untested, the knights something still contemporary but maybe a brand that doesn't quite have one identity secured yet, the Queens (like I have) would be something established that is aware of current trends but follows its own course, and kings might be someting with a very rigid unchanging look (which doesn't mean rigid looking clothing Harley Davidson biker clothing has always maintained the same look and isn't "stuffy"). This whole approach might be too formulaic and you could simply find a way to dress like a Queen of Swords or Page of Pentacles whatever that means for you. In the Fey deck the Queen of chalices is associated with the quality of listening which suggest spending a little more time on debating each garment rather than letting my impulses do the shopping.. and defnt'ly suggests taht I not try and shop online.

The last card (which I'm still debating the necessity of) seems to indicate that this isn't going to end up being a look I try for a while and then forget about. It seems if I get started I might get carried away and completely change everything I have (a very frightening prospect at this time). The Fey deck emphasizes the innocence of the woman in the boat by giving her angel wings and big eyes.

I'm going to try and work the kinks out of this spread and then I will offer some tarot fashion cosultations in the readings exchange.

I'd love to hear what people think and what comes up for people who try it.

Alta

Hi Shade, not being a fashionista I can't comment on the clothes aspect, but may I say I am intrigued by your idea. Tarot can be used to investigate whatever interests you, and fashion can be an expression of your energies just like anything else. Interesting take!

goddesscarlie

Ha ha! I love this idea! I can't wait to give this one a go ;)

Zephyros

I love I love it I love it !!!!!!!!!1
This is possibly the exact spread I'm needing right now:)

FantasyWorld

This is very interesting. I'd love to try to it but not only do I know nothing about fashion this would be a hard spread for me to do becuase I am too literal and too logical and would have a hard time seeing the cards in the light you do but it would be great practice for me. What a cool, fun spread though:D

Maybe we could start a fashion thread using this spread...

DarkElectric

Oh, Shade, I like this, I think it's great!
Unfortunately, if I were a fashion tarot card, I'd be the "Queen of Frump".
Currently, my 'look' would be "Look the other way..."
I'll try this spread and see what I get!

WalesWoman

Shade this sounds like it could be fun...depending on what deck you used as well.
You may have to start a fashion consultant thread in the Exchange!

Ulfdis

Oh that's too too cool! You could even use that for home decor. (I gotta stop watching so much HGTV...)

Umbrae

Shade said:
...And while trying to help out a friend on her questionable wardrobe decisions I came up wit this one.

Whoa...cool stuff...

However for best results, I do suggest using this spread with either Le Calzature Fantastiche (Maggiori), or Tarot of the Tailors (Cooley & Fifield).

The power of combining this spread and either of those decks is immeasurable...

Pebbles

Cool! I'm going to try this spread. I'm not sure yet how I will use the last card.