The four horseman of the apocalypse and Tarot

jazbee08

The four horseman( or the four Horusmen ?)and Tarot

Hello everyone,
If you have seen the movie Now you see me this post will make much more sense. I just saw this movie the other day and I was wondering about its symbolism. First there is the 4 tarot cards they get, The lovers, The hermit, The high priestess, and finally death. They are given to 4 people who they name as the 4 horseman, possibly meant to symbolize the 4 horseman of the apocalypse, pestilence/conquest, war, famine, death.
What I am wondering is if this is what they are meant to symbolize, what does it mean?

My interpretation is that the 4 horseman are meant to symbolize change, or possibly control, over the masses?
Pestilence first to frighten the people, then war to divide the people, famine to keep the people working, then death...I don't know I mean death is the big transition right? When you go from one belief to another. Change. Apocalypse the world as you know it ends. Change.
So what am I missing?
Thoughts?
I feel theres something more going on here especially for the tarot.
Thanks
Jaz

ravenest

I havent seen the movie, so all I can say is ...

it IS a movie ... and movies don't have a real strong history of depicting things accurately or correctly.

The Apocalypse is probably one of the widest and most varied in interpretation , and has the most vivid and symbolic imagery of anything written. So I cant even recommend an alternative source.

jazbee08

I havent seen the movie, so all I can say is ...

it IS a movie ... and movies don't have a real strong history of depicting things accurately or correctly.

The Apocalypse is probably one of the widest and most varied in interpretation , and has the most vivid and symbolic imagery of anything written. So I cant even recommend an alternative source.

Okay, but I'm asking for a personal interpretation of what the movie was trying to depict. A movie is just a movie the way a story is just a story, they still hold meaning for people. I still believe that they were trying to say something I'm just not sure what, the use of tarot is also very mysterious...maybe obvious...but I would like to look deeper.

Zephyros

The Four Horsemen are probably an antithesis to the four evangelists, symbolized by the four cherubic beasts in the World (and Hierophant). Just as there is an Antichrist, the horsemen act as foils for the blessing each evangelist bestows. It is also probably possible to allot each a certain element. Fire is the active element of force, but too much fire leads to War. I don't know Revelations that well, that's just off the top of my head. One could also try to find meaning in the Knights being on horses.

In any case, I am sure apocalyptic meaning abounds in Tarot, Revelations was a much bigger deal than it is today in the centuries preceding the development of the deck.

ravenest

yeah, but is that how it is depicted in this movie.. I mean, we could talk endlessly about what it means ... but without watching the movie we may be on totally diff pages ?

If jazzbe08 wants to take me to the movies .... :)

{Popcorn and a snowcone thanks}

Zephyros

yeah, but is that how it is depicted in this movie.. I mean, we could talk endlessly about what it means ... but without watching the movie we may be on totally diff pages ?

If jazzbe08 wants to take me to the movies .... :)

{Popcorn and a snowcone thanks}

Most of what I know of the horsemen is from. "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch", a great book, spiritually, even though it's a comedy. It introduces you to the horsemen in ways that can be quite unsettling. It even has a main character named Crowley. :)

Farzon

I saw this movie, too (I didn't like it a lot, though). I didn't notice a special connection to apocalypse anyway. But the cards were characterizing the people who got them (especially death - this guy seemed to die in sacrifice for his comrades).

However, there are theories about the movie's meaning on the net including hints on the OTO and meanings of a secret scene after the credits (which didn't show up in my version). These theories say, the OTO keeps people stupid with crappy Hollywood movies and with this one even shows to do so... A kind of mockery of the audience. You can think about this what you want.... :what:
Maybe I can find the link...

The horsemen show up as the suit's tens in the Mary-El Tarot, btw.

werewolfmoon

Most of what I know of the horsemen is from. "Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch", a great book, spiritually, even though it's a comedy. It introduces you to the horsemen in ways that can be quite unsettling. It even has a main character named Crowley. :)

Good Omens is one of my favourite books, I love it and you are right, the Four Horseman are very unsettling indeed. Scarlet (War) arrives in a peaceful village and very soon it descends into war and madness, Famine trademarks his 'diet' which means you starve to death and Pestilence with his can of nuclear waste, Death and his wry sense of humour. I love Crowley by the way and his oppo, the very confused Angel.

Tarot wise - Death (Rider-Waite) The Tower, The Devil (tarot of the old Path) and the World

This was what came to mind.

jazbee08

"There are thirteen numbered degrees and twelve un-numbered degrees which are divided into three grades or "triads"—the Hermit, the Lover, and the Man of Earth"
So this was from Wikipedia on the OTO. What I want to know is why would a movie go through so much trouble to have some sort of hidding meaning that they explictedly say in the movie

“Come in close. Closer. Because the more you think you see, the easier it’ll be to fool you. Because what is seeing? You’re looking, but what you’re really doing is filtering, interpreting, searching for meaning. My job? To take that most of gifts you give me, your attention, and use it against you.”

So its not the plot of the movie that interests me but the symbolism. They are definitely using symbols but what kind. They point towards illuminati, crowley, tarot. When I first started researching tarot crowleys name popped up big time. I don't think its a coincidence that tarot card were used to symbolize the horseman, but what I do want to know is what are they trying to convey?
Why does tarot keep showing up together with 'secret' orders?

If its something we couldn't figure out they wouldn't give us clues.

Farzon

When I saw this movie, I actually thought it had no deeper meaning behind it. Maybe there was just a Tarot-fanboy involved in writing it and furthermore secrets, secret orders and everything of the kind are still very popular to catch attention.

I think they just wanted to show that this secret society of Robin-Hood-like magicians/thieves/tricksters is old and has a long tradition in cheating and deceiving.

The only thing that bothers me is that these cards don't really exist, I liked that style. And did you notice the Tarot-decks in the magician's shop? They has real decks in there (including the magical forest, which I own :) )