the hermit "IN" the moon

Fulgour

rota said:
The similarities could as easily be ascribed to coincidence rather than design. Artists will often draw faces with similar shapes and proportions out of habit rather than intention.
In other words, the similarity we see between the faces
on the Ator Tarot is all a figment of our imaginations?

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ator/
Ator Tarot

rota

"... the similarity we see between the faces
on the Ator Tarot is all a figment of our imaginations?"

++++++

Oh, heavens no! That's different. They all look alike because they're related!

:)

AmyV

I can definitely see the resemblance between the faces of the Hermit and the Moon; and intentional or not as the resemblance may be, the cards are linked, even before we begin to link their meanings, by the number Nine.

The Hermit stands on a mountain top, ready to begin the journey into himself, to pass down through the conscious and into the dark and scary sub-conscious, hoping to emerge eventually into the light of awareness.

It's a long journey, and the first obstacles will be the most mundane, being by their nature closest to the surface; however, the further we go into ourselves, the darker and creepier it gets, the further in we go, the more savage are the parts of ourselves that we unearth, until we reach what is represented by the crawfish in the Moon card - 'that which lies deeper than the savage beast' as I believe Waite described it.

I say that the Hermit stands on the mountains shown in the Moon card, and as he works his way through his psyche he travels further and further down the path to where the pool of his unconscious lies waiting, past the dog and the wolf, past even the crayfish and into the pool that he has sensed so many times - in the High Priestess for example, and again in Justice - to make his way to the Light, the Sun.

The Hermit is our internal guide, the eternal part of us that leads us through the trials of life and keeps us going, and the face of the Moon is the face of that same guide, always with us, to the very end when we immerse ourselves in the pool.......