'The Hermit' keeps recurring in my readings??

Klur

Hi guys, I'm new to tarot and hoping someone can help me out!

I have done three '3 card spread' readings in which The Hermit came out as my future card.

I am hoping to be a social worker,and I asked about my future in this career on two different occasions, and both times the future card was The Hermit.

Today, I did a reading and asked if I would be travelling anytime soon, and the future card was The Hermit.

About 10 minutes ago, I decided to do another reading. When I went to my tarot deck, I went to pull the cards out and only one card came out and fell, face down into the palm of my hand.. before I even turned it around, I knew what it would be. It was The Hermit, again.

For some reason I am unnerved and worried about this. Why does this card keep appearing? Do you think it has negative or positive connotations?? Does The Hermit have a message for me?

Any help or thoughts on this matter would be appreciated!!

Seaberry86

Let me see how I can help

Hi guys, I'm new to tarot and hoping someone can help me out!

I have done three '3 card spread' readings in which The Hermit came out as my future card.

I am hoping to be a social worker,and I asked about my future in this career on two different occasions, and both times the future card was The Hermit.

Today, I did a reading and asked if I would be travelling anytime soon, and the future card was The Hermit.

About 10 minutes ago, I decided to do another reading. When I went to my tarot deck, I went to pull the cards out and only one card came out and fell, face down into the palm of my hand.. before I even turned it around, I knew what it would be. It was The Hermit, again.

For some reason I am unnerved and worried about this. Why does this card keep appearing? Do you think it has negative or positive connotations?? Does The Hermit have a message for me?

Any help or thoughts on this matter would be appreciated!!

Ok, I'm a rookie at this and apologize in advance if I misinterpret.

From my understanding of the hermit, perhaps it's time to reevaluate your career goals for the future?

SilverSquirrel

The Hermit is a perfect card for a potential social worker. It is the card of going within and finding the light, in order to help guide others out of their inner darkness.

A book I have to hand lists a spiritual journey and research as two potential indications of the card. Obviously you must study and research your vocation before you can be the guide, and perhaps the card is coming up as a hint that you could be the best social worker by being clear on your spiritual path (travelling within) and values.

Seaberry86

The Hermit is a perfect card for a potential social worker. It is the card of going within and finding the light, in order to help guide others out of their inner darkness.

A book I have to hand lists a spiritual journey and research as two potential indications of the card. Obviously you must study and research your vocation before you can be the guide, and perhaps the card is coming up as a hint that you could be the best social worker by being clear on your spiritual path (travelling within) and values.

Alright, I would like to take this as a learning opportunity. :) In some of the translations I have seen 'the Hermit' is not always a good card. Which books are you using for your interpretations so that I might be able to get a clearer meaning from them?

Also: OP: Apologies for inaccuracies. :)

SilverSquirrel

Alright, I would like to take this as a learning opportunity. :) In some of the translations I have seen 'the Hermit' is not always a good card. Which books are you using for your interpretations so that I might be able to get a clearer meaning from them?

Also: OP: Apologies for inaccuracies. :)

No problem.

The book I just referenced was The Two Hour Tarot Tutor by Wilma Carroll. Amber Jayanti in Tarot for Dummies talks about the Hermit being a bearer of light and wisdom, using his or her life experiences to serve as an inspiration to others. In Tarot for Your Self Mary K Greer talks about the solitude aspect of the Hermit, but also of patience, a vision quest, mastery of what you are working on, a teacher or guide and help from others, and gurus, counsellors, and friends. The positive affirmation she offers is, "I patiently follow the guidance of my higher self on the path to enlightenment."

That's not so bad... :)

I'm sure there are lots of other interpretations of the dark side of the Hermit floating around out there too. I've certainly lived the shadow side out. But there's a lot of light in this card and it's definitely a positive sign for a social worker, from what I can discern.

Klur

Seaberry no problem at all, that wasn't inaccurate it was just your interpretation of The Hermit card which is perfectly fine :)

SilverSquirrel, this is a great interpretation to hear, thank you! Like Seaberry I sort of automatically look at The Hermit as a negative card. So you think it represents my career as a social worker? Do you have any idea why it would come up when I ask about travelling? (I was recently making plans to move abroad with a friend) and why it fell out of the deck and into my hand?

Because I am starting to feel that maybe this card relates to more than just my career?

I am usually quite sociable but recently I have started staying in more. I have fallen out with a few friends, for a number of different reasons, and have started to think more about friendship, loyalty and trust and how absent they are in most of the people I thought were good friends.. Don't mean to be telling you my life story here but I'm just wondering if this could have some relevance! When The Hermit fell out into my hand I was a tad startled :/

Klur

The book I just referenced was The Two Hour Tarot Tutor by Wilma Carroll. Amber Jayanti in Tarot for Dummies talks about the Hermit being a bearer of light and wisdom, using his or her life experiences to serve as an inspiration to others. In Tarot for Your Self Mary K Greer talks about the solitude aspect of the Hermit, but also of patience, a vision quest, mastery of what you are working on, a teacher or guide and help from others, and gurus, counsellors, and friends. The positive affirmation she offers is, "I patiently follow the guidance of my higher self on the path to enlightenment."

This is really helpful, thank you :D

frac_ture

Hi, All--

First, for anyone looking to interpret cards, I would without any hesitation recommend Aeclectic's own "Tarot Card Meanings" section when looking for some quick but satisfying write-ups about what each card can signify: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/

The summaries have been tremendously helpful to me in my own still young Tarot explorations!

I also agree with SilverSquirrel that this is not at all a card to be worried about, and that it can have some very good, positive meanings when taken as a commentary on a possible career as a social worker. Klur, I think it can apply in a couple of ways that go together well. For one thing, like SilverSquirrel said, the card can mean a seeking within, a deep examination of the inner self...and I think the best therapist-type professionals (and I hope it's not inaccurate to group your own potential variety of social work here in that category?) would all confirm that they've done a great deal of serious soul-searching as part of the process of becoming ready to help others successfully do the same. A social worker can also -- like the Hermit with his lantern -- "shine a light," as it were, on things that could use some illumination, whether that be with new knowledge, with constructive energy, with insights the other person might never have reached alone... And finally, it could also be exactly the way to describe the view that a lot of patients/clients hold of those who occupy the positions in their lives of doctors, therapists, and other specially trained professionals: that is, the "wise one" from whom they get counsel. These people are generally not our pals that we hang out with in front of the TV or down at the bar -- the relationships are very structured, and while they can involve extreme closeness of a sort within the professional context, there is also a distance that's more or less built right into any possible social dynamic...in other words, your doctor, your clergy-person, your social worker -- outside of the office, they're remote to you, a wise person who, for all you know, wanders the world at night with a lantern seeking more and more lore to accumulate, and then sleeps in a cave (or doesn't sleep at all) before returning to work the next morning.

So I would personally read the continued reappearances of the card not as a warning or a scary omen at all, but rather as very possibly being total encouragement for you to pursue your goal, first through some substantial self-examination and schooling, and then through emulating the Hermit.

Anyway, that was a bit rambling, but hopefully some of it makes sense and is helpful -- good luck with your career path!

SilverSquirrel

Seaberry no problem at all, that wasn't inaccurate it was just your interpretation of The Hermit card which is perfectly fine :)

SilverSquirrel, this is a great interpretation to hear, thank you! Like Seaberry I sort of automatically look at The Hermit as a negative card. So you think it represents my career as a social worker? Do you have any idea why it would come up when I ask about travelling? (I was recently making plans to move abroad with a friend) and why it fell out of the deck and into my hand?

Because I am starting to feel that maybe this card relates to more than just my career?

I am usually quite sociable but recently I have started staying in more. I have fallen out with a few friends, for a number of different reasons, and have started to think more about friendship, loyalty and trust and how absent they are in most of the people I thought were good friends.. Don't mean to be telling you my life story here but I'm just wondering if this could have some relevance! When The Hermit fell out into my hand I was a tad startled :/

I'd take it as a sign if it fell into my hand as well. :) Especially if it's been recurring for you in readings, too. Cherish it! So rarely do meaningful signs come along. Maybe once every few years, for me.. an image in a dream, or some incident with a tarot card. It sounds like the spirit of the Hermit is resonating with you right now in your life - that desire to find a deeper meaning and feeling less connected are synchronous with the archetype. You could do some really good inner work by thinking about the meaning of all that stuff. Maybe you could carry the card with you, create a bit of art, and do some active imagination to go deeper with the card. Just don't get lost in it! lol. That's the trouble with that trump. No joke. I'll swap a bit of my life story too, to make us even. :p In university I got carried away with making a collage of this trump, and meditated on it so much that I actually created the effect a "vision board" can do, which is to place the visualized thing before you as a goal and thus... sure enough, I became the solitary loner recluse for a time! That's only good for a while. Then it becomes bad. So be careful when meditating on this card that you don't merge into its dark side. Think about what the light in the lantern represents, and where the path leads you..

Klur

Hi, All--

First, for anyone looking to interpret cards, I would without any hesitation recommend Aeclectic's own "Tarot Card Meanings" section when looking for some quick but satisfying write-ups about what each card can signify: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/

The summaries have been tremendously helpful to me in my own still young Tarot explorations!

I also agree with SilverSquirrel that this is not at all a card to be worried about, and that it can have some very good, positive meanings when taken as a commentary on a possible career as a social worker. Klur, I think it can apply in a couple of ways that go together well. For one thing, like SilverSquirrel said, the card can mean a seeking within, a deep examination of the inner self...and I think the best therapist-type professionals (and I hope it's not inaccurate to group your own potential variety of social work here in that category?) would all confirm that they've done a great deal of serious soul-searching as part of the process of becoming ready to help others successfully do the same. A social worker can also -- like the Hermit with his lantern -- "shine a light," as it were, on things that could use some illumination, whether that be with new knowledge, with constructive energy, with insights the other person might never have reached alone... And finally, it could also be exactly the way to describe the view that a lot of patients/clients hold of those who occupy the positions in their lives of doctors, therapists, and other specially trained professionals: that is, the "wise one" from whom they get counsel. These people are generally not our pals that we hang out with in front of the TV or down at the bar -- the relationships are very structured, and while they can involve extreme closeness of a sort within the professional context, there is also a distance that's more or less built right into any possible social dynamic...in other words, your doctor, your clergy-person, your social worker -- outside of the office, they're remote to you, a wise person who, for all you know, wanders the world at night with a lantern seeking more and more lore to accumulate, and then sleeps in a cave (or doesn't sleep at all) before returning to work the next morning.

So I would personally read the continued reappearances of the card not as a warning or a scary omen at all, but rather as very possibly being total encouragement for you to pursue your goal, first through some substantial self-examination and schooling, and then through emulating the Hermit.

Anyway, that was a bit rambling, but hopefully some of it makes sense and is helpful -- good luck with your career path!

Really can't thank you enough for this interpretation! It actually makes alot of sense now and as put my mind at ease :) I thought The Hermit represented a time for me to step back from Social Work and re-evaluate my career choices. But these interpretations make more sense, as I do have alot of personal experience which will hopefully guide the people I will work with. Thanks again!