The High Priestess as Mental Health? Two of Cups as advice?

jenster

Reading for a woman whose partner is going through a depression (she thinks).

His state of mind/emotional state was represented by The High Priestess.

I have never seen The High Priestess as representing mental health issues though her meaning still is pretty elusive to me. For mental health issues I would see, for example, The Moon. I don't know what to make of her in this position. Perhaps that help is needed from someone higher up (like a professional?). It still doesn't feel right, it feels like a guess at best. Do any of you have any experience with this in this capacity?

The advice given to her as how to help him was the Two of Cups.

I took this to mean the advice was to reach out to him, communicate to him, remind him of the joy in their union. The reason why it's a problem is that this is the problem itself. She is having trouble getting through to him.

PAMUYA

Perhaps it is not a mental health problem. It may be that he is working on the age old spiritual question, who am I a nd why am I here? Help him to explore his spiritual side.

jenster

Perhaps it is not a mental health problem. It may be that he is working on the age old spiritual question, who am I a nd why am I here? Help him to explore his spiritual side.

Thank you. How could she be so off the mark though concerning this?
But ok, I suppose one could cause the other (a spiritual quest/question unanswered could cause a certain depression).

If so (and why not) why would the Two of Cups come up as advice to her?

Jesshuds

I agree. Sounds like he's doing a lot of thinking. Nothing bad, but it maybe has lead her to feeling disconnected. The two of cups as advice, I see, as her asserting herself to reconnect. Not nagging, or making it about her, but maybe even involve herself in his meditations (assuming that's actually what's going on). Or could be something as simple as going on a date :)

jenster

I agree. Sounds like he's doing a lot of thinking. Nothing bad, but it maybe has lead her to feeling disconnected. The two of cups as advice, I see, as her asserting herself to reconnect. Not nagging, or making it about her, but maybe even involve herself in his meditations (assuming that's actually what's going on). Or could be something as simple as going on a date :)

I suppose. Thank you, I'll think about it.

Grizabella

Thank you. How could she be so off the mark though concerning this?
But ok, I suppose one could cause the other (a spiritual quest/question unanswered could cause a certain depression).

If so (and why not) why would the Two of Cups come up as advice to her?

As soon as you've given your interpretation of the 2 of Cups, I have some comments to make on this. You have to add your interpretation of any cards you mention according to the rules. :)

jenster

As soon as you've given your interpretation of the 2 of Cups, I have some comments to make on this. You have to add your interpretation of any cards you mention according to the rules. :)

I did.

Grizabella

Duh! I'm so stupid sometimes. :bugeyed:

The High Priestess has a lot of secrets. We never know our loved ones as well as we think we do. Even in the healthiest of relationships, there are mysteries and that's a good thing. Respecting that is a very positive thing, too, even though it doesn't seem like it would be.

For the 2 of Cups as how she can help him, she should let him know she's there if he ever does decide to share and just let him keep his privacy until the time he decides to share more with her, if he ever does decide to. No prying or trying to figure out what's going on with him. Just love and respectful patience.

MissNine

Could it be a diagnosis he hasn't yet shared with the client?

Or otherwise, something complex requiring more testing to diagnose? Ruth HP, I usually see info not yet ready to come out.

Tigerangel

The way I would read this combo is his emotional state of mind is cut off from reality, he finds it easier to cope mentally and emotionally if he distances himself from others by putting up a wall of silence when others try to show there concern, with advice being two of Cups it shows that just being there and offering love and understanding to him is what will eventually bring him back out of his silent wall he has put up around him.

This just how I would read these cards, and maybe my take can give you another viewpoint on the reading you did.