The High Priestess: w/o B+J added

Antenna

RChMI said:
With the addition of "B" and "J" on the pillars, one can be directed to the Hanged Man as a connection. (B=Beth=2 ~ J=I=Iod=10 ~ 2+10=12)

hmmm correct me if i was thinking in the wrong direction but i was looking at this card yesterday without looking at its meaning from the book. i will take the 2 pillars with the words and interpret as in black and white from the legal point of view if situation is about court case or to do with legal stuff. what do u think?

archer1

If my memory serves me. There is a story in the bible of the building of Israel's first temple where there stood two pillars Boaz and Jachin? They stood at the entrance.

just my two cents...

Peredur

The High Priestess

You are correct, archer1. The two pillars were placed at the porchway or entrance of King Solomon's Temple. Jachin was positioned to the south with Boaz to the north. Thus, the viewer is looking to the east, facing out from the Temple door. According to Masonic tradition, Boaz was named after the great, grandfather of David, King Solomon's father. The import of the word is "In Strength". Jachin was named after the assistant High Priest who officiated at the dedication of the Temple. The import of the word is "God Will Establish". The two pillars, when conjoined, denote "Stability". Of course the pillars on The High Priestess card do not resemble those described in the Bible. I think the intent here is purely symbolic.
Bob

Evitan

Jachim and Boaz

1 - Jachim and Boaz on the card is mentioned in Elephias Levi's book, Rituals and learning of the higher Magic (I don't know if the title is correct, the book I have is written in Dutch)
Wait used a lot of Levi's discriptions when he designed his cards. A lot of websites write that Wait was the first to use the black and White pillars. But this can't be thrue, Levi's description came first.
I would really like to see the deck that Levi used, I feel like it's the missing link between the old cards and the new.

I just found this, haven't checked it yet:
'These appear in the description of Solomon's Temple, 1 Kings 7:15-22 and 2 Chronicles 3L14-17 '

Finally my opinion,
The White Pillar says:
It's ok to lose the J and B when you know what the pillars mean. In this case you still have the pillars as a symbol, so its ok. The card does look better.
The Black Pillar says:
If people see the B and J, and they don't know what it means, they might be encouraged to do some more research. It worked for me that way. Maybe you could find alternetive symbols for them?

Fulgour

B&J Inc.

I'm sure that Boaz and Jachim were fun and happy guys...
zooming around back in the old days doing the pillar thing.

But for them (and their pillars) to show up on this card :(

Peredur

Jachin and Boaz

More clues from Masonic ritual. "...the sun, the glory of the Lord, rises in the east and sets in the west....[thus]...learning originated in the east, and thence spread its benign influence to the west....[and]...the tabernacle of Moses and the Temple of Solomon were so situated." Perhaps Waite had this in mind, Moses was the giver of the Law (Tora) and Solomon was known for his wisdom. The viewer is admonished to look to the east for enlightenment, knowledge and understanding. It would seem logical for "the highest and holiest of the Greater Arcana" to sit in the east.
Bob