The Janus Spread

Winterchild

I designed this spread especially for the transition period between the old year and the new.

The spread is based on the Roman mythical figure of Janus. Janus is the god of beginnings and transitions, thence also of gates, doors, passages, endings and time. He is usually depicted as having two faces, since he looks to the future and to the past. The Romans named the month of January after Janus.

The spread uses three cards laid out thus:

1****2****3

1. Represents looking back over the past year and reflecting on what happened, what events effected you most and how this will effect the coming year as you move through the portal from 2013 to 2014.

2. Represents you at this portal, looking both behind and ahead and working out how best to move through to the new year. What you need to take with you from last year and what you need to prepare for the new year.

3. Is when you look to the future, and ask the cards what you can best do to influence the year ahead.

Just like the traditional or LWB meanings for cards, we all know that sometimes those meanings flex and twist and turn slightly, and I see no reason why a spread should not be the same. The Janus Spread does lend itself to this, in that we can let the cards tell us how far back into he past we look and how far forward to the future.

Anyway I don't want to complicate anything at all, the spread can be taken as is or as you will. Use your ituition. The spread is merely a guide for the whole process, and it sets a tone.

I hope you enjoy this one :)

Have a great 2014.

Winter

Azure_Skye

I will have to try this spread out!! Thank you for sharing :)

desertrat

Thank you for this Winterchild!

Because my memory is so horrible now in my old age ;) and the prospect of reviewing a whole year seems quite daunting, I've decided to alter your spread a little and use it as a "Turn of the Week" spread. Instead of reflecting back on the past year, I will try reflecting back on the past week and see where that gets me. Thank you for the inspiration. :)