The Jean Dodal deck: High resolution scans

Greg Stanton

Well, as a professional graphic designer, typographer, letterer and type designer, I can tell you that the lettering on the Noblet is not a "font". Flornoy re-drew every letter individually, to reflect the look of the original woodblock prints. Compare the same letter on different cards. They are all unique.

As far as his Dodal, he appears to have used the same approach, except the new lettering has more contrast than that on the originals (i.e. greater contrast between the thick and thin strokes), making it look more contemporary — high contrast in letter forms became common in the early 19th century. The minimized terminals (I wouldn't call them "serifs") lend to the impression of "art deco", though it appears that the original woodblock lettering shares this characteristic. I agree that it looks a little out of place -- but certainly much, much better than if he had picked a typeface that was "close" and simply set everything by typing it in.

Computer fonts -- I hate this word; the proper designation is "type" -- always look out of place when they are meant to integrate with art. I much prefer everything to be hand lettered, especially the titles and numbers on Tarot cards. Unfortunately, designers currently seem to be under the impression that the funkier the type, the better it is for "artistic" purposes. The results are always cheap and amateurish. Take a look at the Old English Tarot, a lovely deck that is literally destroyed by the highly decorative, mannered and anemic "font".

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/old-english/index.shtml

SolSionnach

Hi Greg, thanks for the detailed explanation. I stand corrected. :)

I still don't like the lettering on the Dodal. I don't think it fits at all. As for the Noblet, I'm going to get it out later on an examine it more closely, given what you've said. Perhaps as a non-professional I won't be able to see the differences in letters between the cards, that remains to be seen. (so to speak!)

I actually rather like the OET's font. If you want to see a questionable choice of font, look here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/maat/

(that being said, I still like the deck)

Greg Stanton

Yea. That one is more suited to German tavern menu titles than the Maat tarot.

Old English Tarot is a beautiful deck, yes it is. That type though, conveys neither "old" or "English". And it's way too thin, and it calls too much attention to itself. I can't imagine what it was created for — CD covers probably. On this tarot it's distracting and doesn't compliment the art at all. It's a real shame too, because it's unlikely that this lovely deck will ever be revised.

It's not a matter of preference for a particular type design, but whether it's appropriate for the project at hand. I wish these had been hand lettered, like the numbers appear to have been on the tops of the cards.

Le Fanu

Interesting discussion, Greg. Something I had never thought of. Or rather, I do think about font and typeface, but it is interesting to have an insider's thoughts.

Can't you start a thread on use of typeface and font? Decks with the worst typeface? Perhaps AG Muller yellow box RWS with the computerised type-face. Terrible...

Greg Stanton

Le Fanu said:
Can't you start a thread on use of typeface and font? Decks with the worst typeface? Perhaps AG Muller yellow box RWS with the computerised type-face. Terrible...

That is a brilliant idea. Maybe some tarot designers will read it and take heed :)

I'll tackle it later tonight.

Yves Le Marseillais

Greg Stanton said:
That is a brilliant idea. Maybe some tarot designers will read it and take heed :)

I'll tackle it later tonight.

Hello Greg and Le Fanu and all crew,

Yes this is a good idea:

I wait you first shoot on a new dedicated thread and after will put some ideas on the table too.

Best,

Yves

eltarot78

SolSionnach said:
Frankly, if I was going to buy a restoration, it would be this one.
After studying Flornoy's trumps, to me the expressions of the cards are *very* different, not to mention the lettering - what a hideous font he chose!

Looking forward to this restoration, eltarot78! It looks lovely. :)

Hello SolSionnach , thank you very much.

When working on these letters had doubts XI would look like and a couple of ways in which they are written, at first glance look ugly, but in light of the candles, mmmm, is a unique experience, it's like to feel this in 1700 and something.

I'm still working like an ant in the Minors, but here "in the Southern Hemisphere" temperature between 34ºc 43ºc becomes heavier "in addition to the time of the year", end of school "childs" work and are so near the holidays.

Besides parallel together, working different version of what I suppose, was partly Dodal deliberately badly painted, and created a shadow giving more depth and dimension.

or really not be necessary?

If not actually created as a product of a deck of 22 cards, there are stakeholders?
or really expect to conclude the 78?

doubts, like many, tarot cards, is often posed more questions than answers, haha.

Bernice

I like the 'shadowed' one. Yes more depth :)

Bee :)

Yves Le Marseillais

No shadows for me

eltarot78 said:
Hello SolSionnach , thank you very much.

When working on these letters had doubts XI would look like and a couple of ways in which they are written, at first glance look ugly, but in light of the candles, mmmm, is a unique experience, it's like to feel this in 1700 and something.

I'm still working like an ant in the Minors, but here "in the Southern Hemisphere" temperature between 34ºc 43ºc becomes heavier "in addition to the time of the year", end of school "childs" work and are so near the holidays.

Besides parallel together, working different version of what I suppose, was partly Dodal deliberately badly painted, and created a shadow giving more depth and dimension.

or really not be necessary?

If not actually created as a product of a deck of 22 cards, there are stakeholders?
or really expect to conclude the 78?

doubts, like many, tarot cards, is often posed more questions than answers, haha.

Hello all,

Me I prefer without shadows and I think that original painter wanted to fully applicate colors rather that create shadowed areas.

So, here is my personal vote in this sensitive case.

Salute,

Yves Le Marseillais

Greg Stanton

I like this restoration. Strength -- the lines and lettering look weak, should probably be thickened slightly.

When printing with metal, or woodblock, the ink spreads, sometimes considerably. This was taken into consideration when the punches and blocks were made, so what appears on the finished card is pretty much the designer's intention.