the Ludy Lescott Tarot - one to look out for

tarot heart

For some reason I do not find this clown disturbing, not generally anyway. He reminds me of the opera Pagliacci, the sad clown :(

What is disturbing about this 6cups clown is the hand offering the flower. The hand seems so disproportionate in relation to the body. It seems like an adult hand on a child's body, that's creepy. I wonder why the artist chose to show this clown being in some sort of cave?

NikkiB

I think this might me my next deck of the week...

rwcarter

I got an email this morning that mine has shipped, so it will hopefully be here by the weekend.

tarot heart

My best friend (who is an avid tarot collector) has just received the L. Lescot. I have been looking through the deck and must say the artwork is very good, especially the use of color.

One thing that stands out though, is that if this deck is supposedly set in New Orleans, then why are there tombstones? Most of the older burial sites, in New Orleans especially, are above ground in vaults. The reason for this is that if you dig down just a few feet you'll hit water because the water table is so low. This is why New Orleans is so prone to flooding easily. Take it from me, I know!

see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Louis_Cemetery

On page 14 of the LWB it says Ludy wrote a book called "My Notes on the Craft," New Orleans, 2003. I can't find this book anywhere which leads me to believe that this is all fabricated. It does state that Ludy rarely wrote under her own name, but we still should be able to find the book.

I LOVE what the LWB says about the Devil card:

"Do not lose your virginity on a bed of bones..." Seems like sound advice to me!!! :laugh:

gregory

No-one has said it is set in New Orleans; "she" just says that was where she read.

And too right - that book doesn't come up anywhere !

tarot heart

Yes, it doesn't actually say that but I believe it's all fabricated anyway, the more I read this LWB.

On the first page it says her first deck of cards were given to her by her grandmother from a set a drawings especially made for her by a "certain Adams" who was a friend of Pamela Coleman Smith. This is supposedly Ludy Lescot's reinterpretation of those drawings that she used on the streets of New Orleans but much darker in depth due to her experiences, I guess.

The LWB certainly implies that she is real, real enough to have written a book even, but I believe it's all fiction. Too bad. Still like the art though. Not so much the concept.

gregory

The LWB certainly implies that she is real, real enough to have written a book even, but I believe it's all fiction. Too bad. Still like the art though. Not so much the concept.

Does it matter if/that she isn't real ? Not to me it doesn't !

Glass Owl

Everything which has a beginning must also have an end
The Smashing Pumpkins have a song called "The Beginning Of The End Is The Beginning" and it is could be this deck's theme song.

"Send a heartbeat to
The void that cries through you
Relive the pictures that have come to pass
For now we stand alone
The world is lost and blown
And we are flesh and blood disintegrate
With no more to hate

Is it bright where you are
And have the people changed
Does it make you happy you're so strange
And in your darkest hour
My old secrets laid
We can watch the world devoured in its pain"

Ohh, I should consult Kmilliron about a spread for this deck using this song...

OctoberGwen

Does it matter if/that she isn't real ? Not to me it doesn't !

Yes, it seems like the tarot version of the Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity or any other fictional story done in a pseudo-documentary style. This can be a very effective technique, actually, which is not to say that anyone really expects it to be true.

There was a book done like this, too: House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski.

rwcarter

My Ludy came yesterday. I have actually read the descriptions in the LWB for each card while looking at the card and can see that I won't be using the LWB to try to understand what's going on in the cards. The LWB is beyond cryptic as far as useful information about card meanings goes.

As much as I love LoS decks (the largest part of my collection by far) and how their decks tend to stretch the boundaries, I really wish they would make better LWBs for their decks. This deck could just as easily have come without a LWB and I wouldn't be any more lost than I am after reading the LWB. The best part of the LWB is the spread.

Looking at the card images, it seems like most everyone (women and men) has been crying and their mascara has run. From an intuitive standpoint, I can probably read the cards. But they don't seem to correspond to any school of meanings that I've ever seen. None of the courts appear to have the qualities that I associate with the court ranks, none of the pips seem to correspond to what I expect to see in a particular pip family or rank. This deck looks like it's going to take a lot of work to understand, and if I'm going to put that kind of work in, I'd rather do it with the Mona Lisa, which speaks more to me.

Rodney