The Lynd Ward Tarot

BrightEye

Has anybody read his books? They are fabulous!

I'm in two minds about the Tarot. The pictures are taken from different narratives, and because I know some of his books, I would find that irritating. He was a great artist though!

Le Fanu

Has anybody read his books? They are fabulous!

I'm in two minds about the Tarot. The pictures are taken from different narratives, and because I know some of his books, I would find that irritating. He was a great artist though!
I knew nothing about him - don't know the books or anything and weirdly, I like it like that. I'd rather not know what narratives they belong to, but I am curious as to know just who he was - will have to do a bit of research.

Freder

Thanks, LeFanu, for your kind words! I'm very happy that you like it!

BrightEye, I totally get what you're saying. Anyone familiar with the original woodcut novels will have to mentally set aside those narratives to progress with a reading. I don't find it too hard, actually.

Do you have a favorite? Mine would be MADMAN'S DRUM.

Onward....

Le Fanu

I did have a little peep online - couldn't resist - and saw Frankenstein and a few others -but I managed to prevent the images being too anchored in particular stories.

Nevertheless, the deck is an absolute triumph. Such a surprise, considering I didn't know his work and yet I love it infinitely more than so many others which have had a far more immediate appeal.

I like it when tarot destabilises what we thought we knew and liked. I mean, that something so unexpected can be so compelling.

BrightEye

My favourite is VERTIGO.

I think Ward was a fabulous artist (one of my great role models and I envy his skill) but is not very well known anymore, which is a pity. And which is why this deck is a good idea.