The Magical Realism Tarot

reall

fantastic!^^ luv realistic!^^ ;))))))0

Le Fanu

Yes I know it's a literary and artistic movement but I cannot help thinking that with this name, it is to trap the unwary newbie into thinking it has something to do with the Magic Realist Press. That's how those almost-famous trademarks work. Like those watches *almost* called Rolex or pens called Mount - not Mont - Blanc. It's amazing what people fall for.

Debra

I honestly see no parallel with "almost famous" trademark names obviously adopted with the hope of confusing a careless consumer. I can't see how the web page could be any more clear: Cheryl Fair and her colleagues are producing this deck, named for and inspired by, a literary movement.

Zephyros

Yes I know it's a literary and artistic movement but I cannot help thinking that with this name, it is to trap the unwary newbie into thinking it has something to do with the Magic Realist Press. That's how those almost-famous trademarks work. Like those watches *almost* called Rolex or pens called Mount - not Mont - Blanc. It's amazing what people fall for.

I was about to say the same thing. It isn't officially a breach in copyright, but it does sound as if it's trying to sound pretty close. When I saw the thread name I actually thought Baba had made a deck named after her own publishing house (like the Llewellyn Tarot).

Le Fanu

I honestly see no parallel with "almost famous" trademark names obviously adopted with the hope of confusing a careless consumer. I can't see how the web page could be any more clear: Cheryl Fair and her colleagues are producing this deck, named for and inspired by, a literary movement.
Nope. Not convinced. I have no doubt whatsoever that over at Baba Studios they'll be answering a lot of "has my deck been sent yet?" emails.

Metafizzypop

Magic Realist Press? It never even occurred to me. Didn't think of them at all.

But what I would say is that the deck doesn't really look much like the Magical Realism artistic style. Some samples here of that:

http://www.monograffi.com/magic1.htm

I like this deck because I go for arty photographic decks. This particular one reminds me of the Silver Era Tarot, which I own and love. That's why this deck caught my eye.

The Happy Squirrel

If you like this style take a look at the Fountain Tarot.

cSpaceDiva

I have seen this partially in focus, partially out of focus streaky style described as magic realism before. I don't think it's particularly well executed in this deck, and I can't really say that I'm a fan. Still, I don't think there's anything sneaky or misleading about the title. I don't think this deck remotely resembles any of the MRP decks. Are there really that many people who don't have enough sense to know what they are ordering/supporting?

Metafizzypop

I have seen this partially in focus, partially out of focus streaky style described as magic realism before.

I could see that. Maybe because of the dream-like effect it has.

I don't think it's particularly well executed in this deck, and I can't really say that I'm a fan.

Lol, I thought it was done really well. I really like the dreamy effect.