The Magician

strings of life

Here's my interpretation of The Magician:

In a Tarot reading, The Magician is The Fool’s first mentor who offers him guidance after The Fool has embarked on his journey. It is evident that this is a time of new beginnings and self discovery for The Fool. The Magician has laid out all of the tools on the table-literally. But, we only see half of the table and part of the wand and sword, a subtle reminder that it is up to The Fool to seek what he desires. The Magician will lead you to believe that anything is possible. However, it’s key to remember that many events in life don’t just happen; you have to work towards a goal, whether it involves ambitions or relationships. There will always be events that you have no control over, but if you have the power to change the course of events, it is up to you to take the challenge and be strong.

There is a sense of balance in this card, and a sense of power. The Magician is staring directly at us, a gaze that looks convincing. But, it’s smart to remember that there is more than meets the eye.

I am using the Universal Waite Tarot deck, so I didn't put the imagery/symbols in this post (that's on my bog).

However, I do want to participate in the threads in this study group since the parallel themes are similar. There isn't a separate Study Group for the Universal Waite and it was suggested that I follow along with this group as I start out.

prg5001

sickness, pain, loss, disaster, snares of enemies;

Hi,

I get a general feeling for the Magician archetype which fits well with the above discussion but I can't really see where the divinatory significance of "sickness, pain, loss, disaster, snares of enemies;" mentioned in "The Pictorial Key to the Tarot, by A.E. Waite" comes in.

Does the Magician's innocence or lack of devlopment open up the possibilty of trouble and being caught by enemies?

I'm very new to Tarot and haven't read or done much so any help or references would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

The crowned one

He is just you For the first time realizing your worth.

The fool sometimes does not even know who he is is. The High Priestess is way too self absorbed to know that she/he is nothing more then the Magician.

prg5001

For the first time realizing my worth

The crowned one said:
He is just you For the first time realizing your worth.
QUOTE]

Thanks The crowned one for your reply. I take this as meaning that I should really look for the answers in myself.

Realising my worth is such a big topic, wow. So many first times too. Realising my worth for myself, for my family, for friends, for others...

So, it's about consciously creating but with a warning that negatives such as sickness, pain, loss, disaster, snares of enemies can come if the power is abused (e.g. like Milarepa mentioned below or if I badly manage someone at work).

Thanks again and to everyone in posts.

Cheers,

Paul