The Magickal Motto

thorhammer

I'm in annoying-question-phase.

I know that magicians use a magickal motto as their form of address, interchangeably with their "real" name depending on circumstance. I'm wondering if there are any sources discussing the assumption of a magickal motto, what language it "should" be in, why and when one changes mottoes (as I know Uncle Al did) and so forth.

I seem to have had mine communicated to me while practicing the assumption of HPK's God-form; it is consistent and the experience culminates every time I do it with this phrase.

I'm wondering about the significance of different mottoes according to initiatory grade and who confers the privilege of changing or assuming the motto.

Stopping now :) Thanks in advance.

\m/ Kat

ravenest

You do. Sometimes one is given to you ; like the raven that watched me build my outside temple nearly every day. I think its best to avoid pomposity, but that can be fun.

At certain stages on the path, if easily identifible, you might change your name according to the 'task at hand'. Our you might draw a card (like I did and got ... yep, a raven.)

Titles are an interesting one, especially when one does a 'degree of destruction' (or if thats a bit wierd think of a Tibbetan Chod rite). These dudes have no titles, no insignia no nothing, not even supposed to address them, "Who are those guys all in black in the temple, they never say anything?"

"Oh dont worry about them, they are all destroyed and dont exist anymore." :laugh: - but actually - it can be a great space to be in. Clean slate, now draw what you WILL.

thorhammer

Re: pomposity - I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt to those whose mottoes sound pompous and say that bombast wasn't their intention :) But I agree - while maintaining the integrity of meaning, it shouldn't be overblown :)

I like clever, though. V.V.V.V.V. was very good.

Totally get the whole destroyed thing - that would be an opportunity indeed. Perhaps a little drastic, but certainly effective.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

I had a concept in mind for my motto, but was struggling to find a non-english equivalent that was suitable. A lovely ATer helped me by finding just the right phrase, whose words also have a double meaning that applies elsewhere. I'm very happy with it for now, and I think would change it only when I felt it was no longer needed, or something new was needed more.

A funny story, my motto came up during a kinesiology session once. A practitioner was testing me for a physical illness I had at the time and some emotional issues came up also. She came up with a phrase that was intended as a curative direction/mantra that I could use, and it was exactly my motto :eek: I was a bit gobsmacked, and was trying to explain why that was surprising/relevant and what is this thing called Thelema. That turned into a very long conversation LOL

t.town.troy

I'm not a Thelemite, but I'm sure that we all have a lot in common.
When I first found Magic and the need/idea of a magical motto, I chose (or by fate was chosen for me, out of the back of a book) - "non sum qualis eram". It seemed fitting, since I aspired to be a new person on a new path.

I believe that choosing a motto in a language that is not your usual is to take you out of day-to-day life. And it seems that some find one that is meaningful gematrically.

Professor X

I need to find a suitable motto for myself. Especially since I am getting to really get into practice the cermonies and rituals of the Golden Dawn and Crowley.

Hmmm maybe I will come upon a suitable one in my coming studies.

So basically I can use something I stumble across if it feels right?

t.town.troy

I think it will/should sum up what you strive for; an ideal, the great work, union with the divine, etc.
Just try not to use one that others have used, ie. Crowley, Mathers, etc. etc.

Ross G Caldwell

I think magickal mottoes can be a key to initiation; but at first they are just statements of your magickal understanding, or self understanding, as that happens to be when you choose it. Later they become refined, and finally "granted" - a name becomes something you grow into rather than out of. Choosing it announces the birth of your magickal self – it’s how you are known “in temple”, whether physical or astral.

I think t.town.troy is right that it should be not your native language. It should be foreign, suggesting the journey you are beginning (even if you don't know the destination).

When I first started on the magickal path, as a teenager, I chose a very pompous name - "Ego Sum Qui Sum" - the Latin translation of the Hebrew "Ehieh Asher Ehieh" (all beginning with Aleph) - i.e. the name God called himself when Moses asked what his name was on Mount Sinai (Exodus 3:14).
Later, at my first real initiation (into the OTO), I shortened it to Aleph-Aleph-Aleph, calling it "Aleph Shalosh" (Three Aleph), both because it was like my first name, and because it was 111, the number of Aleph and the Fool.

At my second initiation, a few years later, I wanted to identify with the 93 current, so I chose "Jack Allah", which adds up to 93 as IAK ALLA, and also coincidentally contains the three Alephs.

About the same time (1987) I saw Crowley himself for the first time in a dream. When I went up to talk to him, he pointed at my chest and said "I know you, you're Spaceboy". Where he pointed on my chest there was a symbol which I had invented for myself when I was about 11 (Saturn and rings lit on one side, dark on the other, and a five-pointed star in the dark half). I took myself much too seriously to adopt "Spaceboy" as a motto. It became a kind of secret motto for myself, one which I did in fact grow into when I finally grew up and stopped trying to be a grown-up.

I didn't get a new name until 1993, when I had begun to rededicate myself to the Great Work in earnest. My lover one morning told me my name was "Zapapaias", and I took it as the first step in understanding how to progress in initation.

Long story short - the crisis or major initiation happened a year later, when I had to make a choice, do something, but didn't know what. I had received a new name that Saturday morning, after a Genesis 32:24-29 experience. It was "Master Murru" - obviously I didn't want to call myself "Master", and I had no idea of what "murru" meant other than that it was vaguely semitic.

My method for going forward was to analyse the name Zapapaias in a Crowley-G.D. Kabbalistic fashion, like that done in the Lesser Hexagram Ritual (Yod-Nun-Resh-Yod... INRI etc.) and by Crowley throughout his life. I came to the conclusion that I was in the last "Apophis" (last “a”) phase of the name Zapapaias, and was going on to the "S". It was Saturday, after all. Saturn is the planet of Binah. The next step became obvious, and I took it with "fear and trembling".

This name "Master Murru" would be the final one in my magickal initiations, although when I understood it I adopted the Babylonian word for "master" (or "lord") - Bel. So it became "Bel Murru" as a name/motto. Master Murru for me corresponds to V.V.V.V.V. for Crowley - he is the Master of the Temple.

thorhammer

Thankyou for sharing so frankly, Ross :) I know what you're saying with the way you "fit" the name being different according to where you're at in the journey. thorhammer (with a little "t") has been my name/motto for as long as I can remember and I've been quite happy to live it openly. But the new one was given to me in such a manner that I know I'm not meant to talk too much about it - sorry to anyone who gives a stuff :D. It's not that it's *secret*, but its very meaning and nature suggests discretion at least, grading towards silence. But I'm loquacious, so I'm easing into it :laugh:

I really appreciate your post, thanks again.

\m/ Kat

Professor X

I need to find myself a suitable motto.

Perhaps the next Latin phrase I stumble upon in my Golden Dawn book I will take as a motto.