The Mechanics of Tarot

Chiriku

I too think my approach is somewhat "secular" (or at least humanist) in nature:

I think people are able to get accurate readings because each card deals with an aspect common to human beings' experiences as humans.

Irrespective of culture, everyone has either experienced or encountered apathy, happiness, lack of self-control, inner strength, authority, emotional or material richness (not the same as being rich, mind), emotional or material scantness, nightmares, dreams/daydreams, etc, etc.

But that alone will not explain why the particular cards in a reading speak to our particular situation at the time.

For that, I point to our remarkable ability to interpret anything and everything--e.g. impenetrable symbols carved by ancient peoples; arcane poetry written by the most "deep" poets; even the formations of the clouds---AND to then make connections to our own lives.

In light of that, the question really becomes "why DOESN'T tarot 'work' for some people?"

greatdane

Hi Inkscape, Glitterbird and Chiriku

Thank you, Inkscape, I do get what you're saying and that helped as I found that one part a bit confusing. I'm honestly not trying to come up with any one size fits all about HOW tarot works, just about how individual readers feel it works, even if it's just the Universe, themselves and the cards all come together, that seems like as valid a "how" as any. That's why I SO appreciate these posts. I'm not looking for AN answer or THE answer, just thoughts.

Glitterbird, there is no out of context here :). I appreciate your thoughts and I get it.

Chiriku, I think we're quite a bit on the same wavelength as, and I'm JUST speaking for me, not how it may work for others, I feel it's my psyche working with the cards to help me think more outside the box, to see other options, help me think more clearly and focus. That's why I just read for myself, that's what I'm looking for and I'm content with that. The symbolism that somehow taps into my inner being and takes me down a new path.

Good question as to why tarot doesn't seem to work for some. There must by a myriad of answers from perhaps they expect too much or for it to be something different to they don't want to believe in it or themselves? Or maybe it does work, they're just not paying attention? I don't know, those were just some reasons that came to mind.

GD

Inkscape

Chiriku said:
... the question really becomes "why DOESN'T tarot 'work' for some people?"

Now there's a question! :) I think part of that has to do with practice and patience, but also of our tolerance to "go beyond ourselves," if that makes sense. We spend so much of our lives drowning each other out, focusing on ourselves and our own experiences, that it can be hard to connect to something outside of our scope of existence and understanding. And then, there's the difficulty of communicating what you see, think and feel so that the rest of us know where you're coming from!

I believe that everyone is capable of tapping into some mysterious primal/psionic/common thread in the world; and I believe that such a strength comes from within. The hard part is being objective, for lack of a better word... being able to percieve the world (your reader, etc) outside of your scope of existence, while still being able to relate it to yourself (subjective), and then being able to articulate what you feel about it.

It's hard to explain my idea, but that in itself underlines what I'm trying to say :laugh:

greatdane

And there it is, Inkscape...

"I believe that everyone is capable of tapping into some mysterious primal/psionic/common thread in the world; and I believe that such a strength comes from within." This sentence you so perfectly wrote, pretty much sums it up for me! Well done.

GD

Nevada

greatdane said:
There are sooo many books and thoughts about tarot. I really would like to know fellow ATers thoughts on not why tarot works, but HOW. Obviously there are some very experienced readers here, but new readers must also have asked themselves this question: HOW does tarot work? What do you feel you bond with in the cards that help you come up with answers? I know there are different approaches to tarot, like Jungian and some just feel it aids their intuition, but how do you feel it does that? Or does it matter?

I use tarot just as self-reflection and just read for myself, so I know why and how it works for me, I just would love to hear how, not why, others feel it really works for them. How does the "magic" happen when you use the cards?
I don't think about it much, but when I do I think that Tarot, through its archetypal imagery and symbolism, helps me access the collective unconscious, which I also equate on some level with the Akashic Records. That's about as far as I take it, I don't want to get into the weeds thinking about this. I think that might get in the way of reading. I'm capable of getting in my own way of reading well enough without going there. To me this thinking too much is like having to read a map for the driver, when I prefer to sit back, gaze out the window and enjoy the ride. ;)

greatdane

I absolutely agree, Nevada

I think what you wrote is, at least for me, what it all boils down to....the images help us access something, whatever one wants to call it, or not call it, that is useful to us or others. When I decided to delve into reading, I automatically asked myself how I thought it worked and that's what I came up with, the cards helping my psyche access....something....universal, something deeper. I feel the same way about oracles, even though oracles and tarot aren't exactly the same, I feel the process is very similar for me.

Toxicmage

To me, it's kinda like getting a message from the world. What do I mean? The Romans paid a great deal of attention to the way the world speaks to us in our day-to-day lives, and they paid attention to all the little daily incidents and signs that are around us, waiting to be noticed at the right moment.

To the Romans..there were two kinds of omens: those that are given ( omina oblativa ) and those that are provoked ( omina impertrativa ).

I see the tarot as somewhat of a omen that is provoked having faith that the story I get from the cards..is what the seeker needs to hear. Just like getting a message from the world.

I also see the cards from the standpoint of like being flashcards for my intuitive feelings..which I also give the seeker.

Coincidence ( synchoronicity of the cards ) + intuition ( the imagination ) = meaningful information coming from another level of reality.

greatdane

I really like that, Toxicmage!

Enjoyed reading your description. It's so interesting to learn others thoughts and feelings when it comes to reading. Even though we may all look for different things in our readings, or have different perspectivex, the experience is shared in that it is about us and our cards.

GD

victoria.star

Umbrae said:
Fives are the result of the spark.

Tarot reading is the result of the spark (of intent).

Reading and Fives are very related in how they work.

IMHO
Oh, I like this very much, Umbrae. :) I especially like answering a question about Tarot with Tarot. Really. Not trying to be facetious. I really enjoyed your reply.

For me, and I can only speak for me, my reading of Tarot cards works because I 'let go' and 'let it happen.'
There is probably an OED-length philosophical conversation embedded in that statement, though ;)

greatdane

That's great, Victoria!

Something that is true and meaningful can often be summed up briefly and saying you let go and let happen....lovely:).

GD