The Month of May Rant on Reading Part 2

Umbrae

“Behold, Mouthpiece of Ooolatek the Seditious One Who Speaks Only Lies, Keeper of the Despicable Temple of Divine Evil is about to speak, tremble ye heretics...nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.”

Most of this has been said before – but heck…it’s my six thousandth post.

Wassily Kandinsky begins his work, Concerning The Spiritual in Art with the words,
“Every work of art is the child of its age, and, in may cases, the mother of our emotions. It follows that each period of culture produces an art of its own which can never be repeated. Efforts to revive the art-principals of the past will produce an art that is still-born. It is impossible for us to live and feel, as did the ancient Greeks. In the same way those who strive to follow the Greek methods in sculpture achieve only a similarity of form, the work remaining soulless for all time. Such imitation is mere aping.”
Later he writes
(ibid) Imagine a building divided into many rooms. The building may be large or small. Every wall of every room is covered with pictures of various sizes; perhaps they number many thousands. They represent in colour bit of nature – animals in sunlight or shadow, drinking, standing in water, lying on the grass; near to, a Crucifixion by a painter who does not believe in Christ; flowers; human figures sitting, standing, walking; often they are naked; many naked women, seen foreshortened from behind, apples and silver dishes; portrait of Councillor So and So; sunset; lady in red; flying duck; portrait of Lady X; flying geese; lady in white; calves in shadow flecked with brilliant yellow sunlight; portrait of Prince Y; lady in green. All this carefully printed in a book – name of artist – name of picture. People with these books in their hands go from wall to wall, turning over pages, reading the names. Then they go away, neither richer nor poorer than when they came, and are absorbed at once in their business, which has nothing to do with art. Why did they come? In each picture is a whole lifetime imprisoned, a whole lifetime of fears, doubts, hopes, and joy.

Whither is this lifetime tending? What message of the competent artist? ”To send light into the darkness of men’s heart – such is the duty of the artist” said Schumann. ”An artist is a man who can draw and paint everything.” said Tolstoi.
…To harmonize the whole is the task of the art. With cold eyes and indifferent mind the spectators regard the work. Connoisseurs admire the ‘skill’ (as one admires a tightrope walker), enjoy the “quality of painting” (as one enjoys a pasty). But hungry souls go hungry away.

The vulgar herd stroll though the rooms and pronounce the pictures “nice” or “splendid.” Those who could speak have said nothing, those who could hear have heard nothing. This condition of art is called “art for art’s sake.” This neglect of inner meanings, which is the life of colours, this vain squandering of artistic power is called “art of art’s sake.”

…The spiritual life, to which art belongs and of which she is one of the mightiest elements, is a complicated but definite and easily definable movement forwards and upwards…

I once said, that I often think of Tarot as high art. Not art framed, stagnant on some white gallery wall, but art we can touch, handle, and share.

Many readers are (imo) like Kandinsky’s vulgar herd, wandering in a building divided into many rooms. Every wall of every room is covered with pictures of various sizes; they number seventy eight. They represent in colour a bit of nature…. All this carefully printed in a book – name of artist – name of picture. People with these books in their hands go from wall to wall, turning over pages, reading the names. Then they go away, neither richer nor poorer than when they came, and are absorbed at once in their business, which has nothing to do with art. Why did they come? In each picture is a whole lifetime imprisoned, a whole lifetime of fears, doubts, hopes, and joy.

Tarot Reading is art.

Look around you, heck – you may even want to look at yourself. Many people now have a TV that runs when nobody’s watching, a radio blares in the background, IPods clamor for attention over the sounds of life. Plugged in, good to go, got the tunes…

Music is art only when it’s live. A recording is a copy. Nowadays it’s nothing but ones and zeros. Ones and zeros are not art. What you’re listening to is not art anymore than sheet music is art. Sheet music is a recipe (“follow these directions and you may come close to what I had in mind” says the composer).

When I was a child, my family took me to the World’s Fair in Seattle (1962). I was dragged around and forced to look at stuff. Then we entered the Hall of Modern Art. My family was aghast, they laughed and pointed.

Then I saw it. A Kinetic Sculpture – it was huge – perhaps a hundred long flexible arms with stuff attached, like a willow tree of junk. And if you pressed the button, an electric motor made it jump and sway (and stuff would clang together and make noise).

It was wonderful.

When you pushed the button – it was never the same twice! It was different each and every time!

I was in love! My family laughed.

But that was art. It was dynamic. Not static bits of something stuck in somebody else’s time.

John Cage (1912-1992) was a brilliant composer, went to the Cornish School of Arts here in Seattle. My favorite work is entitled 4’33”.

He told the story of going into a sound-proof (or sound absorbing) room at Harvard one day, he entered the room expecting silence. Later he said that he "heard two sounds, one high and one low. When I described them to the engineer in charge, he informed me that the high one was my nervous system in operation, the low one my blood in circulation." Cage had gone to a place where he expected there to be no sound, and yet…

4’33” is a performance piece (sort of). The performer enters, opens the key board lid on the Piano, and appears to sit doing nothing for four minutes and thirty three seconds, then closes the lid and exits.

It’s freaking brilliant! The performer is not the music, nor is the piano the instrument being played. The instrument is the audience and the hall. The cough from the man two rows down, the woman who whispers five rows back, the squeak of the pneumatic door closer, perhaps a far off siren, the patter of rain on the windows...these are the instruments.

Nobody listens to silence anymore – we’re wired for sound…and experience no art, no music. Listening to math…ones and zeroes.

We’ve turned ourselves into spectators on our own stage of life.

I am talking about Tarot Reading by the way…walking around with our Tarot Programs, “Oh, I love the way he’s bent over his work – being diligent, I wonder what the program says? Oh…he’s bent over his work being diligent. Sure glad I bought the book.”

Art exists in the moment. That’s it. Then it’s gone. Painting and sculpture are dead. They don’t move. Sure Mona Lisa’s lovely, but she’s dead. At best, I can be a spectator. Yeah Jackson Pollack may have expressed himself well – but the paint’s dry – it’s over, done, that was then, this is now.

Art should move me to become a participant. Art should make me be a participant. I don’t want to be in the past tense, I live in the present tense.

So you know that question I asked? “Why do you read Tarot for others?” As I said, it defines your intent. It’s also a question whose answer should change many times over the course of your life.

But your intent, that’s important, right? Well let’s dig a little.

Why do they come to us? I once said something like; they come to us for something that they cannot get anywhere else. They don’t call plumbers to have their cards read, we don’t work as electricians and say, “oh by the way…” They come to card readers…they may go to church, science, family, lawyers, and the modern world of entertainment…But if they got what they were searching for there – we would not be here…

…They come to us. Why? They come to get, what they think we have to offer. What they are unable to get anywhere else… They often think we know, we are psychic – we have the cards. We could re-educate – but is it our job to tell them there is not Santa Claus? Or is there Seriously…why do they come to us?

We may care about history, artwork, and tradition; but what we care about is unimportant. This has nothing to do with us..

What does the sitter see? They don’t give a fig about what that little symbol means. They care about their life.

We know why we read (each of us individually), but the sitter comes to us with their own set of ideas and concepts, and they come with their own sets of life issues.

They sit down across from us. We may be way over in the ‘hearing voices’ crowd, or way over in the psycho-therapeutic aspect of Tarot and discovery – but what do we do to re-gear ourselves for their needs? (side note - I think both systems are equally valid).

Or do we say “To blazes with the sitter, they’re wrong – I’m right.”

See – we have to be in the moment – we have to show up.

We have to get out of our own way. What we think (about Tarot) has zip all to do with how to reach them (the sitter).

We have to be in the moment. But then, isn’t being in the moment – the goal of most (if not ultimately all) spiritual paths? Or paths of psychoanalytical analysis?

What does this have to do with art?

Real art, is in the moment. As it was discussed back in February, listening to a recording of an opera, and being there are two different things. Walking around wired for sound…you’re a spectator. Listening to a recording, watching TV, you’re a spectator. Sitting at the opera – you get carried away. Music, when live, forces you to become a participant. There is a connection between the artist, and the audience. That connection – that’s the key….

There was a world of difference between listening to a recording of The Grateful Dead, and being there….

Ever think about what was so wonderful about Cosmic Toaster readings? They were text, they were internet…but people clamored to be a part of those threads. I’ve seen Firemaiden post that she doesn’t really believe in Tarot readings – but she’s hands down one of the best readers around. And no, she doesn’t read face to face. What makes her Cosmic Toaster readings so special?

Firemaiden writes them from a creative story telling point of view. They are fun, and they are spookily accurate. What makes the threads so wonderful is the participation. Sitters are not passive, they are not spectators.

That’s why the 13th Door series didn’t really work as well, it placed the sitters into a passive, non-participatory role.

The Green Gargoyle worked kinda well, but once again, sitters were relegated to passive, non-participatory roles.

The threads The Blonde Bar Maid and the Rubber Chicken read with the Fantastic Menagerie... and Firemaiden seeks ..., both ‘Cosmic toaster’ threads were huge – because participation was encouraged (the latter found me serving Spotted Dick to participants). Firemaiden tenders the Spoof Shingle, and awaits a victim.... is also worth note.

And the readings were done from the creative side of the mind. They are free form, they are anything but static. They do not resonate with the sound of the “cold eyes and indifferent mind the spectators regard the work. Connoisseurs admire the ‘skill’ (as one admires a tightrope walker), enjoy the “quality of painting” (as one enjoys a pasty). But hungry souls go hungry away

“…To harmonize the whole is the task of the art.” Yes! And it’s the task of the reader. That’s what you’ll find in Firemaiden’s readings.

When you read face to face for a stranger, the sitter has expectations. How do we meet them, and how can we turn the sitter from a spectator to a participant (especially when they sit with their arms crossed and never move a muscle)?

franniee said:
I've had the cold reading type too many times to count. I lived in NYC for 15 years and whenever I would go down to the village on a warm night or at a feast the "gypsies" would be out. They would do just that - size you up - and find the chinks in your armor. Very disconcerting in the very beginning when I was too young but quite amusing as my inner strength blossomed. They would use everything they could from my eye and hair color to clothing to eavesdropping to sizing up my friends.

As a tangential insertion, one of the best books you should own in my opinion is “21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card” by Mary K. Greer.

Sitter has expectations. The Sitter has their own agenda.

Picture yourself at a table with your favorite deck. What do you look like? You walk up to yourself and sit down. What do you sound like? What do you say?

You can wander through your room of 78 paintings and read from the book, or you can leave the book and wander through the rooms.

Some people find keywords on cards limiting (think Thoth). Some may find it a tool to expand into what are literally, cold reading paragraphs. However when this same principal is applied to oracles, such as runes – it seems okay? Then some folks find the keywords as doorways that open into really cool magical worlds.

Reading…expectations…art…

What are the first words out of your mouth? How are they phrased?

When I was active as a Shriner Clown, one of the first things you learn when you’re wandering through the Children’s Hospital and Burn Ward is you don’t walk up to a horribly sick child and say, “And how are you today?” Could be the last day of this kid’s life and that’s the last thing we want to ask them - how they are?

The sitter has an agenda. And you have to get out of your own way, to be in the moment, and provide what the sitter needs.

If we say, “How can I help you”, we’ve just implied that we can do (help), something that they cannot do for themselves. It puts us in a linguistic place of power.

Or some waitron it a restaurant, as they take you to your table asks, “How has your day been?” the answer, “The funeral was, as most funerals go, very tragic and sad…” asking how a day has been, is akin to asking the old timer, “Lived here all your life?” “Not yet…”

“It’s good to see you.” That’s what I prefer. For first words out of my mouth – it’s short, sweet, conveys everything I need to express right now.

There used to be a member here that was an admitted cold reader. They thought that anybody who took a spiritual or esoteric approach to the cards was self delusional.

And how were they as a reader? Absolutly brilliant. I’d pay money to have him read my cards!

And by the way, who am I to give out grades, or the the very coveted Black Star, who am I to tell any of you who the real readers are?

Each of you can do, or choose not to do that for yourselves.

Why was that cold reader so damned good? Was it a quality that can be copied? What does it have in common with other readers?

Intent.

Magic is the practice and result of intent.

I don’t care if you’re God or the Pope of Rome – if you use Tarot to try to up-sell me something, to convince me to buy another product, a candle, a blessed gris-gris bag, one of those cheesy monographs, a stone blessed by the monks in Tibet, a red string dipped in the river, if you’re using tarot to keep the customer on the phone-line for more minutes – pack your bags, please stand on the trap door…

Up-selling is evil.

What made that cold reader so cool, is that you knew when you sat down you were going to pay $40 for the ride. That’s it. You knew at the onset. There was no up-sell, or add-ons. And he’d give you your money’s worth.

He knew, ‘Why he read Tarot for others”, and he knew “Why they come to us.” You may not agree with his answers, but he knew.

That moved him into another class.

He was also really good – and accurate.

Ayumi said:
Fortune Telling of all types is incredibly popular in Japan, and a Fortune Teller's reputation is based on one thing only. Whether or not they "Ataru", meaning, if they predict correctly.

Yup. Some would say he was that.

You see there isn’t one kind of reading. There is no one path.

Intent. That’s it. It’s the vehicle that gets you there.

Now you can intend (to be a good reader), and still be floundering around causing a commotion, flapping shallow water into the faces of others…clueless.

If you intend – then you have to do some homework to elevate your craft to the level of art – where you don’t question the flow of words coming out your mouth – where you’ve moved past the fear of looking silly, or caring about what others may think.

What matters is your approach. How to get from where you are, to where you want to be. For starters, you have to have clear insight for where you want to be. And where you are.

If your approach is that of psycho-analytical-whatever, don’t pull out a deck filled with Hermetic symbolism. Your deck is the bridge between ‘Why you Read’ and ‘Why they Come’.

If your approach is deep dark and magical, don’t hit me with the Sunny Bunny’s Magical Love Tarot. If you’re gonna talk the heavy stuff, you’d dang well better be using a Lombardy Zeroth or something close.

And you’re not going to flinch or apologize when you pull the deck out. Or when I ask you what you do…you’ll not hem and haw…you’ll say, “I read Tarot.”

And you’ll make revealing the deck - part of the sitting.

“It’s good to see you today…”

Don’t give them a choice of decks in lovely silk bags. You tell them ‘it’s good to see them’; and pull out the deck that closely reflects your view. Today. Now.

Now you’re ready to do a reading.

You’re also ready to move to the front of the class.

But first – you have to tell me if you’re a real reader or not…

Henry Ford said, “Think you can, think you can’t, either way you’re right.”

And sometimes we take ourselves so danged seriously.

And sometimes logic doesn’t provide the best path for growth.

And yeah – sometimes the sitter needs a bit of a show, sometimes they need you to be in costume, light a candle (sticking out of the top of a skull), other times not.

But those of you out here selling the Black Candles of Ooolatek, and Seditious Gris-Gris (made by Boudreaux’s wife Clotile), knock it off. That’s unlicensed, counterfeit merchandise.

Class dismissed. Have a good holiday!

thinbuddha

On a side note....

(is there such a thing as a side note? Aren't all things related?)

.... as I was reading what you wrote about John Cage (whose book "Silence" I remember reading with delight- and by cooincidence was just thinking about the other day) and the modern art dynamic (mobile?) contraption that your family laughed at, I couldn't help but think about Brian Eno. Brian Eno, in my mind, is the heir to the throne that John Cage (at least the part of him that wrote 4'33) once occupied. Eno's ambient music embraces the notion that the sounds of the listener are part of the music.

Yet Eno, really doesn't perform music at all. I don't believe he has played live to a general audience since he was in Roxy Music...... many moons past.

ones and zeroes....... sometimes they can demand interaction. Even a casual study of the I Ching will testify the truth of this.

Brilliant post, by the way. It's too long to be a Zen Koan, and yet.....

-tb

~Amethyst~

Umbrae, your posts always make me think, and they always teach me something new. Thank you.

firemaiden

Oh my goodness, Mr. Umbrae, obviously the The Blonde Barmaid, the Cosmic Toaster, the Rubber Chicken (and other assorted bird incarnations) are I are flattered as punch that you like our readings so much, I would have responded earlier, but my mouth was full of a strange english food.

I think I was at the same world's fair you speak of, and would give anything now to have seen that art monstrosity you fell in love with. I only remember the "It's a Small World" exhibit, with it's dancing singing dolls, and feeling vaguely traumatised because I thought they were real people singing who were just very very small. [hmmm... editing to add: a bit of research reveals the world's fair I remember was the one in New York, 1964).

You are the first person who has ever explained John Cage's piece to me, it never occured to me that the hall and the audience could become the art. But why not? When I perform - the performance is "out there" -- it happens between the performers and the audience - they get it, they respond, they allow me to connect with them, allow the "cathexis" to happen, and the channel to happen.

Not just the people's ears, but also their imagination participate. I had the experience of sitting on the edge of the stage, for three movements in the Bernstein Jeremiah Symphony, waiting to jump to my feet and sing in the fourth... during the three movements, I imagined a whole host of images, people crossing the desert sand, camels, a horizon of dunes, etc. After the concert there were audience members who could tell me exactly what I was imagining because they saw it too. The performance happens out there. You taught me one day, when I was going into "I'm crippled by stage fright" mode, that "it's not about me"... that was the day I understood it is not MY high B, it's OUR high B. It belongs to the room, we are all doing this together. The rare people who sit in the room with cold eyes and cold hearts, are not there. I see their blank faces. It is sometimes the husband who was dragged there by the wife. The idea is to get them to melt too. It means the performer must include them some how, they are the test.

Not only does the performance happen in the hearts, ears, and imagination of the audience, but it also happens in the physical hall. The hall is like sound box inside giant cello - the hall itself is a gigantic wooden instrument instrument, which the performer plays. And no, a recording of an opera or a symphony can never capture it. It can report on a very slight section of the whole body of the sound, but it can never ever capture the impact of the energy of the whole assembled team of performers on an assembled team of listeners. There will never be cathexis, and eye contact, and the mute sharing of a imagined scenery. Plus, we tend to forget, in visiting with the ones and zeroes, that behind every instrument that melds into the whole, is a human being, and each human being is an entire universe!

My goodnesss, Oh thou Mouthpieceofathousandheretics, why did I not understand before this connection between participating in art, and participating in a tarot readings.

It's gorgeous.

Oh, and bye the way, HAPPY SIX THOUSANDTH POST OH GREAT HERETIC WHISPERER. Thank you for Six-Thousand Life-Changing Odes.

connegrl

As always I have things to think about.

I've been thinking alot about connection today. How we as a species have lost so much of our connection to each other and the things we do to try and find that connection. Stumbling around not even knowing that its connection to each other and by extension, divinity, that we seek. Art can help us find the path to connection. Good stuff to think about Umbrae.

Jen

satinangel

...and now the words have finally come to me, to answer your question. "Why do you read Tarot for others?"

It all depends on the needs of the sitter!

...e'nuf said.

Baroli

I just found this thread. God, I love this stuff. I love just reading and thinking about all that has been written and then later posted from others. John Cage was sheer genius with his masterpiece of 4,33. I remember when I was in college during recital a piano major performed this as his final piece. I also remember jumping up in joy shouting Bravo Bravo while the rest of the audience looked at me like I had two heads. And everytime that piece is performed it is different. Just like everytime I read the cards for someone and might pull some of the same cards I just had for someone else, its different. Why? Different people, different questions, but the most important thing is that I see them different; different messages.

I had a pastor at my church a few years ago, pray (as they all do before delivering the message), but this guy said something different that made all the sense in the world to me. He said (hopefully I can rmember this) 'Get me out of the way, so that the Divine message can be heard by those who will listen. It's not me Lord, but thee.' What a totally unselfish act to do. And this comng from a Baptist preacher, LOL. But he got it!! It wasn't him delivering the message, it was HIM.

Lots to think about and ponder. I raise my cup to the Ranter of the Month.

Baroli

Satori

I'm glad to see you too...

You must have been a very interesting child Umbrae. ;)
I think that there are so many people in the world afraid to say things that mean something. Afraid to get too personal, afraid to sound high and mighty or to admit that they are great beyond the boundaries of flesh and bone.

You however don't worry about that, and your rants actually encourage people to find their own inner lights, their own special spark and to light a bonfire with it.

Today, right now, I read because I don't want to be afraid to go deep with people. The cards are a bridge into people's lives and hearts and souls. The depth of the sharing is totally measurable. How far are you as a reader willing to go. If you have the Barbie Tarot of Fits and Starts well you go that far. If you are willing to get your hands dirty and enter the mucky world of real life where not every child is kissed good-night tenderly then you begin to get clients who want to know more than "should I go out with Dave?"

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to only see trauma. I don't stand on the street and call darkness to myself. But if it walks in the door and it sits at my table I want to be able to hold the energy in such a way as to allow something to emerge.

So I think we who read and really Read and read for strangers do it because we aren't afraid of saying things to people that most of us never utter to anyone, never mind a stranger. And we listen as they tell us the story and we kindle the sadness, then release it. We fan the flame on the guilt then let it die down to a single burning ember.

God I love it so much. I love reading the cards. I love not knowing what the deck will say, or knowing exactly what cards are coming and being able to sit there and turn them and talk about them without seeing good cards or bad cards....just seeing the life, the sorrow, the pain, the joy and smelling the bedrooms and the sweat and the blood and the fear....and letting it go, letting it wash over us.

Anyway. Happy 6000.
I'm glad you're here.

ZenMusic

>John Cage (1912-1992) was a brilliant composer, went to the Cornish School of Arts here in Seattle. My favorite work is entitled 4’33”.

hey Umbrae, i just noticed this, I studied with John Cage, he introduced me to I-Ching, mushrooms and Irish Whiskey, and obviously a ZEN influence (I am ZenMusic)
I have many stories I've told many times about my experiences with him...

4'33 is silence (the name of his first book) , except there is no silence there is the sound of the autorium etc..

prudence

heey, Man, there is nothing wrong with gris-gris.....though I am not sure what exactly "seditious gris-gris" might be. :bugeyed: