The Moon as a Man

snowy_owl

I was doing a relationship reading and in the spot indicated for the man in the relationship The Moon came up.

While I see this man as possibly one who is vivid in the querent's imagination, how does one square the "maternal" aspect? Or is this man simply mysterious?

The man in question is a fairly unknown quantity so perhaps it is as simple as that?

Any ideas? The querent was the 7 of Cups (reversed) and the relationship dynamic was the 7 of Pentacles (reversed).

An unusual spread to be sure.

starrystarrynight

Sometimes, when I see the Moon in a spread that also contains the Seven of Cups, I think of deception. Could this man be deceiving you/or the querent somehow, since he comes up as the Moon? Or are you not seeing the forest from the trees when it comes to dealings with him?

Maybe if you posted this spread in the Your Readings section, you could get some fuller opinions of how the cards might be interacting as regards your question posed...It is often hard to give an opinion about one card because they all iteract differently in any given spread.

willowfox

The Moon could indicate a highly imaginative man, perhaps an artist, writer or even an actor, a creator of illusions or he could be one very confused individual.

snowy_owl

another thought

Yes, I should post this in the forum on readings. I thought of that as I expanded my question in the original post.

This particular man (and yes, the reading is for myself) is just a mystery to me in general.

Adjustment

the moon could indicate that this man has issues with women or is affraid of women.

WaterSong

Adjustment said:
the moon could indicate that this man has issues with women or is affraid of women.

yes, I have seen this card for men that had unresolved issues with their mothers that then branched out to women in general....The Moon rules Cancer , the most maternal sign of the zodiac...

It can also represent a man fighting depression or addictions but it is also the card of artists....another meaning I see in the Moon card is deep soul searching and a soul connection between two people....it is a card of intuition, visions and appears often for individuals with developed psychic skills, or simply very creative.

xoxoox
magenta

berrieh

The Moon, as a guy, to me is an artistic and creative man, but one who's not really relationship-ready. He's lost in his own world, his moods are ever-changing, he's not stable, he's possibly a little crazy (I associate The Moon card with some mental disorders, though, which may be one of my own little quirks in reading), and mysterious. He will never be fully known.

firecatpickles

The Moon is exalted in Taurus. Think Taurean qualities. The loop here is with Jupiter being exalted in Cancer, of which the Moon is its planet.

Thirteen

The Moon does not exclude men, and in the Tarot, it's rarely about *just* the maternal Moon. There are many sides to the Moon, and there are many men who worship the moon and all things feminine. Even the ancient cults of purely female Artemis and of the Mother-Goddess had faithful and ardent male priests.

The Moon in the Tarot is a card about mystery, about wild sexuality, about illusions, about dreams, about art and creativity, about emotions and darkness, and, yes, addictions. It's really not about being maternal. That's usually the Empress card.

So when you see the Moon for a Man, it's really quite apt. He's not a "mothering" sort of man (there are those out there who love kids and love taking care of people); he's what Willowfox and so many others have said so far: mysterious, dark, secretive and dreamy. His way of seeing the world is going to be out of this world--a little crazy (lunatic?); he might even be a little dangerous, likely very artistic or poetic; moody, creative. He might also have some sort of drug problem. Don't expect him to be logical, organized, or moral. He is amoral, following his own unique code of ethics, his own time-table. He relies on gut instinct to direct him, not reason.

In Rider-Waite, the Moon is Pisces, and it's possible the card is simply telling you that the man in this relationship will be a Pisces.

Umbrae

He could also be 'outdoorsy' kind of guy. Hunting & fishing.