the moon

Nevada

I compare it with the Sun. If the Sun is a brilliant light shed on things, and a feeling of great joy that seems to override everything else, the Moon is a more reflective light (in which it may be difficult to make out some details, and in which others may be clearer without the Sun's glare) and a more poignant, reflective or meditative state of mind. It can be illusory if one is unable to adjust to the diminished light.

Nevada

Inana

If you look at the dog (domesticated) and the wolf (wild) barking at the moon, another thing to consider are primal instincts. Both them have the same needs inside.
It can suggest leaving apart mind's control, eliminating social inhibitions and letting yourself to be lost or guided (it depends) in you basic urges and animal instincts.

Romanticism, sensibility, fantasy and imagination are other aspects the moon expands on most of us.
Because of its cycles and relation with water, it is associated also to disillusion, moodiness, confusion and emotional instability.

ros

I had a reading done once where the reader said "who is one person you know, that has passed over...they are thinking of you!"

She explained that when you pull The Moon card that someone on
the other side is thinking of you wish warm wishes.

SunChariot

I've never seen that in the Moon, about someone who's passed over thinking of you. But it could be there in some decks. I wonder how a deck would indicate that. Some of my Death cards seem to give me that message more than my Moon cards.

But then that just goes to show that of course a card's meaning has a lot to do with the deck you use. Maybe there was something specific in that deck to indicate that.

The same for the dog/wolf aspect of the card. Some of my decks, show dogs or wolfs, but most do not. That meaning of primal instincts would be there in the Moon cards of the decks containing those images. But I would not see the meaning there in the "canine-free" decks.

The way I see it, the meaning of any card will vary from deck to deck, sometimes slightly, sometimes greatly. Which is what can make it hard to give a general enough answer to a question like this.

Bar

Fudugazi

I link the best Moon discussion I've read on this forum - fantastically explorative of all its aspects, light and dark, with interesting contributions from many posters just piling one on top of the other. Watch out for kwaw's posts on the cannibal crayfish and its shell!

The Moon, La Lune

NightWing

"Cold-hearted orb that rules the night..." - I think not.

Perhaps it is my lingering paganism, but the moon and the moon card have never been negative influences for me.

Yes, the light is less and different, and hence shows things in that (literally) different light, but that can often be a great advantage. The traditional card image highlights a path we might otherwise never see, starting with what is primal (the crab), that leads us between the ever-contending forces of what is wild in our nature and what has been tamed(wolf & dog), on between the tower outposts and beyond the boundaries of our common humanity, and further to distant mountains of challenge and discovery. Most colour is extracted by moonlight, and what remains is simpler and starker, where options may be clearer and choices easier.

Since my childhood, the Moon has been the Huntress, ever roving, always searching, often comforting. Nothing of the night or of her and her pack has ever been threatening. She has been there for eons before us, and will pace on long after we are dust. She is ever-changing, yet always the same; a constant in our lives. She grants dreams, allows illusions, and illuminates our souls.

Without the Moon, in more ways than one, life would not be possible.

The Moon card helps set a standard for me. Unless there is "a crab, two pooches, and an actual moon" of some description depicted, I'm unlikely to use the deck. This is a Major I always pay very close attention to.

SunChariot

NightWing wrote:
Yes, the light is less and different, and hence shows things in that (literally) different light, but that can often be a great advantage. The traditional card image highlights a path we might otherwise never see, starting with what is primal (the crab), that leads us between the ever-contending forces of what is wild in our nature and what has been tamed(wolf & dog), on between the tower outposts and beyond the boundaries of our common humanity, and further to distant mountains of challenge and discovery. Most colour is extracted by moonlight, and what remains is simpler and starker, where options may be clearer and choices easier.

I really like your version NightWing. I will think of it next time the moon comes up. :) Always love the crab in it, as it is my zodiac sign. :)

Bar

psychic sue

The moon for me is all about the subconscious and cycles. When this card appears in a reading it usually relates to the unconscious realm - you may have vivid dreams or nightmares, and your intuition may be working well. The card is also connected to the female menstrual cycle.

The moon reversed I usually read as either a) mental problems (depression etc) or b) something which is being hidden, but which will soon be out in the open. No harm usually comes from this secret, but it is nevertheless an unexpected turn of events.

mythos

Inana wrote:
Romanticism, sensibility, fantasy and imagination are other aspects the moon expands on most of us.
Because of its cycles and relation with water, it is associated also to disillusion, moodiness, confusion and emotional instability.

I think we can add self-deception to that. As we move though 'issues' in our lives, we human-beings have a huge capacity to self-deceive, until the light of the day (sun) shines on us and brings to light the emerging unconscious unknowns into the glaring light of the moon. Balance is a marrying of moon and sun.

We go through cycles in which we become more and more aware, then less and less, as we deal with the stuff that comes up into the moon's light via the crab. Eventually, hopefully, the crab climbs one last time, the moon cycles again, shows it's full light on the issue, the instinctive part becomes ready to be 'tamed' by the consious mind, and we move into the daylight of the sun's energy.

Not well explained ... but I have people (the kids) around me right now moving furniture and driving me nuts. I have to go and get involved, before they destroy the house.

mythos

PS: One way to connect with a card is to create your own version. The experience can be very spiritually, psychologically and emotionally draining, enlightening, and wonderful.

Vadella

I see it as this:

That we must get past our fears to get through those pillars. You start out at the water [where the crab, scorpion, lobster-- whatever may be there]... then you have to walk past those two wolves [both of which are different, a very scary concept within itself]... then you walk up that path not knowing what could lie after the pillars... It is said that the High Priestess is there.... knowledge. You have found truth once you can face your fears.

Of course I am new so mind me. :)

Vadella