The New Aeon?

Cosmotaroist

First, Have we really reached the new Aeon? In DuQuette's book he said Crowley wanted Lady Freida Harris to redesign the Judgement (Aeon) card because it has happened already, and it is now for us to realized our own desires and ideals to fulfill them and hence the the card and the new aeon...do you agree or disagree? any comment is appreciated...

Second, DuQuette seems to suggest that the RWS, because it is illustrated with Christian symbologies...the RWS deck is "stuck" in the Aeon of the Osiris (ressurection of the Christ)...and that The Thoth is more consistent with the time in that is the illustration of the Aeon of the Horus....

I dont have anything against DuQuette or Thoth...I enjoy his book and I love the Crowley Deck. I would like to know, just, what you think about the above. Thanks

ravenest

Cosmotaroist said:
First, Have we really reached the new Aeon? In DuQuette's book he said Crowley wanted Lady Freida Harris to redesign the Judgement (Aeon) card because it has happened already, and it is now for us to realized our own desires and ideals to fulfill them and hence the the card and the new aeon...do you agree or disagree? any comment is appreciated...

I agree. Some of us, and some things and processes have reached the New Aeon, others haven't, they'll die off or continue on as innapropriate empty shells or dams against the evolutionary forces. Still it is important to understand the Old Aeon as it's influences outside and within us are still there in some lesser or greater extent.

Cosmotaroist said:
Second, DuQuette seems to suggest that the RWS, because it is illustrated with Christian symbologies...the RWS deck is "stuck" in the Aeon of the Osiris (ressurection of the Christ)...and that The Thoth is more consistent with the time in that is the illustration of the Aeon of the Horus....

I dont have anything against DuQuette or Thoth...I enjoy his book and I love the Crowley Deck. I would like to know, just, what you think about the above. Thanks

I think it is correct. That is the whole central theory of why the way the Thoth deck is the way it is. Waite seems to be some type of ego-centric, uptight, anal Christian mystic. (to me)

Edge

Cosmotaroist said:
First, Have we really reached the new Aeon?

Hi Cosmotaroist, I would have to say yes. We have been in the new Aeon , the Aeon of Horus since 1904.

Cosmotaroist said:
Second, DuQuette seems to suggest that the RWS, because it is illustrated with Christian symbologies...the RWS deck is "stuck" in the Aeon of the Osiris (resurrection of the Christ)...and that The Thoth is more consistent with the time in that is the illustration of the Aeon of the Horus....

Yes, yes and YES. I don't recall where in "Understanding"... Duquette talks about this, hopefully you will save me some time and give me the page(s) you a referring to. :) Also if you don't own a copy already I would highly recommend The Book of Thoth. Read what Crowley himself has to say about the Aeon Atu XX, formerly "Judgment" card. It will clarify this even further for you.

Cosmotaroist

Thank you! I have recently just received those two books....I thought it would be a good idea to work though the "Understanding" first....then tackle the B of T itself...Yeah...nothing beats the original...I look forward to see the explanation of the new Aeon by Crowley himself!

Sacrelicious

Of course we're in the new Aeon - just look at the changes that have taken place in our world since 1904. Old dogmas are beginning to crumble and are slowly being exposed for what they are - denial. Unfortunately, some people hold onto this very tightly and refuse to remove the proverbial veil that surrounds them, which is why as Crowley stated - we're probably headed for another dark age, but to paraphrase him, theres brighter torches and more torch bearers this time around. ;)

Crowqueen

Thoth is one way of looking at the tarot and Waite another. Waite has opened himself more to interpretation than Crowley, whose deck is not copied an infinite number of times and therefore stands alone. RW provides a base for artists to express their creativity; Crowley/Thoth is creativity.

Post edited.

Edge

Sacrelicious said:
Of course we're in the new Aeon - just look at the changes that have taken place in our world since 1904. Old dogmas are beginning to crumble and are slowly being exposed for what they are - denial. Unfortunately, some people hold onto this very tightly and refuse to remove the proverbial veil that surrounds them, which is why as Crowley stated - we're probably headed for another dark age, but to paraphrase him, theres brighter torches and more torch bearers this time around. ;)

No question we are still in the dark ages, if I understand correctly we're probably looking at oh.. about another 400 years or so give or take a few either way.

Edge

Crowqueen said:
I am getting a feeling that an Aeon in British history is about to close. I'd like to be more specific but I get the feeling that the mods wouldn't like it if I got into that sort of thing again.

Not sure what you are referring to Crowqueen, is it related to the present Aeon of Horus... something tells me not. Care to elaborate any..?

Crowqueen

Edge said:
Not sure what you are referring to Crowqueen, is it related to the present Aeon of Horus... something tells me not. Care to elaborate any..?

Not sure what the Aeon of Horus is, but I have been reading the cards for British politics for a while now and what I always thought would happen is about to happen, maybe even beginning within the next few days. While shuffling the Fool is always followed by the Ten of Swords (or if he's lucky, Death), and the King of Swords (in RW decks - haven't decided on a Thoth significator for the person who I use this card to represent, but upon asking it, it turns up the Prince of Cups, where the figure is harnessing a large black bird - appropriate enough as I have been contributing to the debate in my "other" life as an academic with a lot to say about politics! OK it's listed as an eagle but it looks more like a crow or a raven to me)...the King of Swords is followed by good cards like the Wheel of Fortune or the Star etc.

I was lulled into thinking that it would happen quicker and cleaner than this, but some people in high places in the UK - on all sides and in all places - are just too pig-headed to learn without it being shoved in their faces. I don't know whether it presages mere change for change's sake or a whole new beginning for politics in this country but whatever happens it will be seismic. I have also been reading up on Nostradamus and have found several quatrains which appear to pinpoint the current situation.

Post edited.

Edge

Crowqueen said:
Not sure what the Aeon of Horus is,

The Aeon of Horus is what this thread is all about. I had a feeling you we're hinting about a political situation and if that type of discussion is frowned upon on this forum I can certainly see why. That said, relating to the Aeon of Horus, Crowley writes "the time of birth of the Aeon seems to be indicated by concentration of political power.." (BOT) this seems to indicate to me and further support that fact we (humanity) are indeed in the new Aeon. Which goes to back to the original question posed at the beginning of this thread. :)