The RIGHT deck?

MYFIGO

What a fun post!

I so enjoyed reading your stories about your favorite decks! I only have two decks at the moment (two weeks since I started Tarot) so I don't think I have a favorite yet. But I already see myself reaching for one or the other depending on what I'm going to use it for.

The one I am least attracted to though seems to have the ability to describe someone or the situation to a "T" accuracy so I'm always impressed with it. I wonder if my "ugly duckling" will remain my favorite one as I continue collecting. Yes, I already know that I want more!

Jude

WingspreadPhoenix

That might just be the Paulina for me. I've never tried reading with my Lunatic (I'm too scared to take it out of the box... :S) but I'm always getting the "right cards" with my Paulina. Even when I'm just listening to music and shuffling my cards without thinking, I end up drawing a card that matches the music perfectly. It's amazing.

nisaba

Carla said:
Nisaba, that was a great tribute to your 'comfort deck.' What is the name of the deck??
<grinning wildly> This one.

OctoberGwen

nisaba said:
<grinning wildly> This one.

I knew it was the Granny Jones. I don't know how I missed your wonderful review, but just from other posts I figured it had to be Granny. I so enjoy reading about your connection with that deck, nisaba.

You bought their entire stock? Wow! Bet nobody could do that now, even if there was store that HAD any. :D

Libra8ca

My favourite deck is the Bohemian Gothic. It's the first deck I really "clicked" with and it took my readings to the next level. I think for this reason it will always hold a special place in my heart. However, the first time I looked at this deck I didn't really like it that much; in fact I was almost turned off. I put it away for a while before trying to read with it again and then it was love at second sight! Goes to show you that you can't judge a deck by just looking at the pictures.

Umbrae

My comfort deck, or my 'right deck' changes.

It changes with moods, seasons, weather, what part of the world I'm in at a given time.

Right now it's Crowley Thoth/Knapp-Hall. But I also read with majors only a lot, and my current majors only...well...there were two of them made...

OctoberGwen

Libra8ca said:
My favourite deck is the Bohemian Gothic. It's the first deck I really "clicked" with and it took my readings to the next level. I think for this reason it will always hold a special place in my heart. However, the first time I looked at this deck I didn't really like it that much; in fact I was almost turned off. I put it away for a while before trying to read with it again and then it was love at second sight! Goes to show you that you can't judge a deck by just looking at the pictures.

That's so true. I didn't like the Deviant Moon at all when I saw pics online, but once I held and used it, we really clicked. OTOH, I fell in love with the BoGo on sight and couldn't rest until I had one...I adore it, but haven't even tried to read with it yet. I'm still getting to know it; I feel like I fall right into the pictures when I look at them.

ncefafn

I too fell in love with the Boho Gothic at first sight. I spent a foolish amount of money to get a standard edition of it, and even then, I still loved it. It only took me signing on to do an IDS with it till I began to hate it. Still, it gives pretty good readings. I think at heart I'm a serial monogamist of decks. My latest acquisition, which I'm not allowed to read with at all, is the Touchstone Tarot. I take it out of its box, touch it, shuffle the deck, play games with it, look through the images and read the stories behind the art work. But no readings until my IDS is over. For me, the Touchstone is my "piece on the side."
:p

MYFIGO

Nisaba

I loved your review. So cool about the spirit guide!

Jude

Cerulean

Yes, and No.

I have a soft-voiced appreciative and suggestive association with the Ukiyoe as my first deck, because art, tone and much about what I enjoyed about art, especially Japanese art, was associated with the old print-making. hspoetic allegory of seasonal motifs worked for me. The traditional card game Hana Fuda which really came from Portugese Latin-suited hombre decks has the same motifs as the Ukiyoe; the trumps are as pretty as any reproduction. If I want a sweeter tone to my readings, here is the deck!

But more often than not, I've been through the same motifs and tastes and so I really want something different than a comfortable and decorative shade to my reading..so I want something more compatible or more mainstream to my Western world.

It took me years to really read with my older Alchemical that I kept because it reminded me of old woodcuts in a good way. But after reading and classes, it can work better for me when I'm more into reading my Humanities texts.

If I am more into a homespun mood, there's a Waite-Smith/RWS deck; if I feel abstract and in-my-head analytical, the Thoth/Via might come out; and if I am craving a kind of nostalgia or wanting to empty my mind, sometimes Asian themed decks...but for sheer beauty and appreciation, I can play with a Milanese derived pattern deck such as the Neoclassical and make up stories...