the scent of new tarot decks.....

gorgeousbutterfly

i got some new US games tarot games and the scent of them makes me literally sick to my stomach(no exgerration) i want to vomit and i get a huge headache. :(. what can i do to get rid of it?

thorhammer

Ahhh, yes, that wonderful smell! There was a great thread a couple of months ago about it . . . try searching?

I exorcised the demon from my Hanson-Roberts by putting the cards in a takeaway container with a good half a cup of bicarb soda and shaking well. I left it for a week, changed the soda, did it again, then changed the soda again, this time adding two drops of essential oil. Then I shook it well, put the lid on and put the container out in the sun, to warm it up. Then when it was warm, I took the lid off and let it air out overnight.

There's still a trace of smell, but it's bearable. I remember all too well that horrid stench!

Good luck!

\m/ Kat

AJ

I canceled my preorder of Deviant Moon yesterday because US Games is printing it, decided to wait and see what the consensus is about the stench. Will it or won't it??

Normally I like a new deck smell, but US Games...err, no thanks.

6 Haunted Days

Here I thought this was a thread for deck smellers and sniffers :laugh:

Oh well, lovers of new deck smells (USG included) unite!!

sashie

Last USG deck I purchased was the Phantasmagoric Theater. Taking it out of the box, the smell was vile and nauseating.

I cleared off a bookshelf, spread it out, and didn't touch it for two days. And the smell was gone.

It probably takes a lot of willpower, but just let them air out a little. I think the USG yuckyness is fresh ink. There are a bunch of threads about this, if you search. I wouldn't recommend trying to cover it up with another scent. It will just smell like new deck + lavender. I think that would be worse.

Nevermore

Incense can help! Just keep several sticks of it in the same box or bag for several days. You can also scent your hands lightly and shuffle like anything. It will pass over time though I'm sure.

autumnsdaughter

I agree about the incense. I keep some "Ambrosia" by Incenses from India along with my decks all the time, and especially with a new deck- I put a stick in its bag. After a week, it has a lovely sweet smell. It makes using the cards a more full experience as well, as it engages the sense of smell.

lilangel09

Hmm.. *takes a USGames tarot box out of the drawer and smells.* Hmm... the box reeks but my deck seems to smell fine to me. Maybe I'm a little weird. Maybe the smell got faint and pleasant. But then again, I do have a an oracle that used to smell horrible. I sprayed a nice perfume on it. Now I drive into that perfume smell.

Lewen

I vaguely remember which thread I read this on, but someone wrapped their deck in a fragrant dryer sheet and stored it in a box/bag. Over time, it started to take on the smell of the dryer sheet.

I have taken to put a piece of incense stick in my boxes that store my decks because it makes the box smell good as well as the decks.

I've never really thought of a deck smelling chemically though, but then again, I enjoy the smell of gasoline/petrol! :) (and skunks too!) :laugh: