The Shaman's Oracle by John Matthews

Mi-Shell

.....and here we see HearthCricket painting the scenery onto the wall of the cave:
:)

Attachments

• Cave-painter AT.bmp
    168.2 KB · Views: 218

Milfoil

Finally purchased this and am playing with it at the moment. Some of the images don't seem to mesh with the words (certainly not just yet) or what I understood those particular images to represent. I agree with those who say that the borders and words are more distracting.

I'll keep playing and seeing what comes up.

Irritatingly, the few draws I have done have been perfectly accurate for the day ahead when going by the wording for that card!!! ;)

Love the images though.

Ramona

Best Intuitive Deck of All!

I love my Shaman's Oracle deck! I find it's very intuitive, and gives me answers that I would not have thought of. They seem to come from a deeper level than my Goddess Tarot, and no doubt the cave paintings' spirit have something to do with that.

I've loved reading this thread, getting other people's opinion on this lovely deck. The artwork is simply extraordinary! And, as usual, Matthews' descriptions are just awesome.

I feel blessed to have found it in Chapters in Canada a while back, when I was looking for insights on a problem I was having at the time. The cards were exactly what I needed at the time. Yes, the Shaman's Oracle cards do rock!

Blessings,
Ramona

Satori

I seem to be behind the wave of the Shaman's Oracle! Just read this thread and I can't wait for mine to arrive.

As for resources of cave art and pictures, I know that the Rock Art Tarot is done in color, but in the book Roelen gives detailed site information for all of her images. I can only imagine that some of them are duplicated in the Shaman's Oracle and that you could perhaps match them up that way.

When my Shaman's Oracle arrives I plan to do this, using Mi-Shell's list as a guide.

I'm excited to finally getting this in hand. I've been wishing for it for a while now.

jema

I got this deck today and Love the art. I am not sure I even wanna use the book that much though, think I prefer to just let my imagination run with the images.
Also I am pretty sure I will never do any actual spreads with it, I got it to do daily cards together with my tarot decks or on it's own.
This and Shining Tribe would be fun :p

Funny enough my favorite cards so far are the Companion and the Journeyer :-D
The two that are meant to act as some type of significators.
Least favorite gotta be Dancer of Fear that looks a bit like an ant with a stick and huge balls hmmm

I really wish they had gone a bit easier with the lamination though. This deck feels like Glastonbury :-S

Le Fanu

It is a beautiful deck. It is very well put together (I think I can live with the lamination on this one). But I love the images, the concept, though the book does tend to overdo the positive meanings a little. You'd be wise to follow your own thoughts I think...

but it is one of the few Oracles I really like (and should use more!)

Le Fanu

but it is one of the few Oracles I really like (and should use more!)
So I thought I'd give it a go. Anyone still actually use this deck? How do you use it? I see I shall have to conjour up my own meanings as on re-reading the book, I still think the given meanings are just too wishy-washy and "love yourself" which doesn't really help.

Any thoughts? It appeals to my love of the primal and prehistoric and cave painting!

jema

Yeah it seems like the book meanings are almost interchangeable, so while I do read the keywords I actually use just the image and the title more and spin off from there.

Milfoil

The more I learn about the actual images on some of the cards, the less the book meanings sit well with me but it doesn't matter since divination doesn't seem to work that way anyway. If you choose the book meaning and it fits the day/issue then great, if your own does that's fine too. Certainly I love most of the images and have been playing with this deck every day for several months now and find it helpful.

Le Fanu

Thank you for these encouraging posts. The book meanings don't resonate with me at all. I also think that the idea of suits here is a forced framework. It is very rare I receive a deck and find a compulsion to rewrite the whole deck set-up, but here I do!

I think it would have been much more coherent if instead of titles such as Spirit of Destruction or Ancestor of Boundaries or Dancer of Joy, the cards were simply Destruction, Boundaries, Joy and do away with the finicky little symbols in the corner.

Fifty cards plus the Companion and Journeyer cards. That would make for a neater oracle.

But there is something very appealing about this deck. So funny (I always do this), decks go on the shelf for months, a year or more, and then suddenly - for no reason - get taken down and I have an urge to get deeper into them. A lesson in not trading.

Such beautiful cards...