The Solleone Cartomanzia Italiana

Le Fanu

I have just received today this rather peculiar Solleone deck. It was distributed by U.S Games in 1983 and was a limited edition of 2000 (of which I have #343).

It is a kind of pseudo-Etteilla. I have never seen a deck quite like it; it is Etteilla in structure (or, rather, on the surface, seems to be a reproduction of the 1865-70? "Jeu de la Princesse" Etteilla), and yet the Majors are more conventional in their numbering.

Death is normally 17 in Etteilla decks, but here it is number 13.

The early cards; Bateleur, Papess, Empress, Emperor, Pope are versions of the Soprafino/Dotti pattern. The deck is a mixture of Etteilla and Gumppenberg, merged together.

A review of it can be seen here. It really is as beautiful as the review says it is.

The cardstock is a dream; unlaminated, stiff, feels comfortingly aged and hard-wearing. Does anyone else have and love this deck? I am so glad I bid on this. Quite an Etteilla curio.

Attachments

• SDC12139.JPG
    SDC12139.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 336
  • SDC12140.JPG
    SDC12140.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 306
  • SDC12141.JPG
    SDC12141.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 320
  • SDC12142.JPG
    SDC12142.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 253

alec

Hi Le Fanu,

Yes, everything you say about this deck is true. This was a treasure I received on a Trade Train earlier this year. It would be very good for anyone who is familiar with - or wants to learn - Etteilla meanings.

Very unique deck. You found a good one - especially with your long time interest in Etteilla.

Alec

gregory

Isn't it lovely ? I've had it for ages but never saw anyone else who did !

I really MUST study Etteilla more....

Le Fanu

alec said:
Yes, everything you say about this deck is true. This was a treasure I received on a Trade Train earlier this year
Someone gave it away on the trade train? :bugeyed: Isn't it rather precious to give away on the trade train? I thought people gave away Liz Dean decks and pointless Oracles? :D

You were very lucky (and so was I!). It is quite an odd find, I have to say.

And I am trying to study Etteilla decks. It's a bit complicated but I think it must be nice to have an inbuilt sense of Etteilla deck card meanings in my brain, then we can see through other later card meanings and see which ones were poached from Etteilla. :)

inanna_tarot

ooooh I like the Death card.

There is nothing 'cake or death?' about that card LOL.

Death looks a bit more energetic, snatching death from the jaws of life. Death needs a bit of a 'tough' rep, its all these hippies making Death look all normal and like having a cuppa tea.

Le Fanu

You speak Portuguese!

Interesting link you posted. Does it have pictures? all I get is Russian...