The "Soprafino Tarot" pattern

connegrl

It won't bore me! I haven't had time to go thru Mark's site yet, but find the premise intrigueing.

Jen

Debra

I'm into it! Not bored; don't apologize! Eagerly awaiting....

Aerin

bump because quite a lot of interest in the Soprafino under 'decks' at the moment.

Also... have Soprafino, do I need/ want Della Rocca? (Il Meneghello, both)

Aerin

Le Fanu

I discovered this thread quite by chance. Saw the thread title and swooped on in here. Yes! Yes! Yes! Anything to do with Italian Soprafino decks, Im a real Soprafino groupie. Always eager to learn more about the Italian decks, and anything Meneghello has had a hand in and I had also been quite curious about the Tarot Genovese and thinking of buying it at some point in the future....

Where can we see images from the deck?

Pagan X

Just to add: this is the deck owned and used by WB Yeats and other members of the Golden Dawn for divination. It was available for purchase and may be the Tarots referred to by Waite that he "improved" upon in designing the RWS.

Oooh! Now you can look at it:

http://www.nli.ie/yeats/

WillowRose

Had to bump this thread! :) Just got my Soprafino deck today.Love it <3

Pagan X

Wow, I'm excited, this is pretty strong evidence of the "hebrew" connection and how the Order of the Golden Dawn got into it...

I don't think it's an occult connection however. I think it's a gamers connection!

Before the numbering of the Majors, the players who would have an advantage in playing Tarot would be those who knew Hebrew...and could see every card plainly numbered in a way Gentiles could not. This could be darn useful if one is playing for money.

The cards could also be used for teaching children... they are a book. Just not of Secret Tradition.

They could also be used to send coded messages: one could lay out some cards to spell a word. Again, potential tavern use, nu?

Yeah! Tarot as gang signs!

But what's up with that lobster on a plate for the Moon? Lobster isn't kosher!

mentalista

Pagan X said:
But what's up with that lobster on a plate for the Moon? Lobster isn't kosher!

I see it as you're supposed to read the card from the dog's point of view. Baying at the moon, human delicacies served up to you on a dish. Everything fantasy and primal that the moon suggests, in fanciful post-Napoleonic clothing.

conversus

mentalista said:
I see it as you're supposed to read the card from the dog's point of view. Baying at the moon, human delicacies served up to you on a dish. Everything fantasy and primal that the moon suggests, in fanciful post-Napoleonic clothing.

A very helpful comment. Thank you!!!

CED