The state of Tarot -

desertreader

I'm curious: I put aside my active tarot buying pursuit for the last few years. I would read every now and then, do my own research, but I wasn't buying. There weren't any decks that interested me.

Since I started reading professionally again I'm interested in buying (there are so many new decks!!) so I've browsed the card section here at AT, clicked the links back to amazon.com (me and amazon are attached at the credit card) and there are now two decks on their way to me.

But I wanted to support my local economy so I went to check out a couple of metaphysical bookstores where I live. In the past I had done pretty well by them. But I was disappointed in the available stock they had on hand. Both stores had less than twenty decks - no Rider Waite clones at all (one did have a Robin Wood), the rest were just plain uninspiring.

Now, my questions:

Should I broaden my search throughout the city? Maybe it's them.

Is Tarot out of fashion? (Not that I care about trendy versus untrendy but it may affect my access)

Don't bookstores carry tarot decks anymore?

Does Tarot sell well these days?

Does AT get a portion of my amazon purchase since I accessed amazon here?

Do I sound like I've been living in a cave for the last five years?

Your answers are most welcome - Thank you

StellarMyst

Hi desertreader! :D

You could broaden your search. I personally like to look for new decks at Barnes & Noble. I don't think Tarot is out of fashion. I do, however think that more individuals read the cards than are willing to risk the knowledge falling to careless hands. (Some folks just don't seem to remain civil in my neck o' the woods ie: the dreaded bible-belt...@#$%&*#@$!!!! (<= "Grr!") )

Launching an amazon search for purchasing things through AT does help support AT.

ie: Be in decks viewing section here at AT + click Amazon link + AT logo-bar up in top of Amazon page + buy = Deck's in the mail & you've helped the AT forum in the process! ;) :D

No, you don't sound like you've been in a cave. ;)

Hope this helps at least a little...?

Blessings,

StellarMyst

lark

So desertreader...the nosey want to know...what did someone who has been living in a cave for 5 years finally settle on as their two new tarot decks?

Disa

Borders seems to have shelves of decks now, so I don't think tarot is decreasing as far as demand goes. Ove the years I've watched the Native American Section diminish and the tarot section expand. :(

desertreader

Ok, so the person living in the cave bought the Gothic Tarot of the Vampires and Tarot of the Cats.

The vampire one was for two reasons: one, it's a dark deck and I'm experiencing a lot of dark energy and because I write and read vampire stuff - it seemed appropriate. The cat one, I'm not sure, I like cats and I liked the cards.

Going to Borders or B&N would be ok but what I liked about these small bookstores was that they used to have an open sample deck and I could look at all of the cards and get a good feel for them. I don't think you can do that at chain stores.

Metaphysical things aren't exactly kept in the closet here as far as I can tell. New Mexico is very open to alternative lifestyles.

The two places I went are small businesses; they may be suffering from the economic downturn.

I bought both decks from amazon marketplace. I hope AT still gets a share...

lark

Nice decks...thank you the nosey are satisfied...:)

AJ

I love small independent book stores too, but they are really between a rock and a hard place as the Internet shops proliferate, they simply cannot compete so items that don't turn readily they just don't carry. My favorite local one started out as used and now is probably about 25% new. They will give 20% off on any new book if you want them to order it in which is really nice. Gives them a 20% profit without tying up their capital.

Were I rich I'd support all the local shops, but like most here I work really hard for what I get so I shop selectively, with budget in mind. It is a connumdrum...

Sonic

I went 'in search of' just last weekend. Just me and the gps. All the local shops were out of business, I could not believe it. I went to barnes & noble, and I hit up borders. Barnes seems to have shelves [as stated earlier] and a wider selection. But borders crams theirs in 1 end unit case and keeps them locked up so it's not really easy to say hey I want to look at something because then you feel like the sales person is waiting to lock the cabinet. Not really conducive for energy or feel. I have resorted pursuing to online and fight the urge every day. I've used the same deck for many years. But today I caved and bought a deck. Every other deck I owned [aside from my sacred circle] has now been given away. I hope you find something fun locally.

desertreader

Sonic, that is so sad! At least my local bookstores are still around although probably struggling. But it used to be so much better.

I may be misguided but I don't really consider shopping at B&N or Borders truly supporting my local economy. If those are the only choices I like the idea of clicking on amazon thru AT better. I've gotten a lot out of both.

AJ, I may approach one of my bookstores with your deal. It might help them.

Disa

Well the metaphysical shops near me have a good selection of cards. I only meant when I mentioned Borders is that, the selection of tarot cards seems to be going more mainstream and that if stores like that have them, there must be some sort of demand still.