The Thoth Deck

Aeon418

This is fascinating seen in light of Crowley's belief that the revelation of St. John had already occurred in 1904, sans bloody rivers and pyrotechnics.

I think Crowley's view of Revelation was very symbolic. And he also thought it had been corrupted in places. But his indentification of the coming of the New Aeon and Ra-Hoor-Khuit with the Atu XVI The Tower clearly indicates the prarallels he was trying to make.

Consider Revelation 19:11-16

11. And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh* a name written, King Of Kings, And Lord Of Lords.

*Thigh: coy biblical euphamism for Phallus.

ravenest

Personally I think spillage is inevitable, as the institutions of previous Aeons lose their grasp yet hold on all the more tightly (not necessarily the religious ones only, but the entire structure upholding that magickal formula, including general modes of thought).

Inevitable .... ditto. I see it like this; 'times' change, a new revelation (holding within basic similar teachings but adapted for implementation in the newly evolving 'times', culture, etc.) is needed. It is delivered and goes through stages of reaction against it, persecution, partial acceptance, establishment and eventually becomes the dominant paradigm. The society or culture develops and evolves accordingly. Eventually that reaches a peak. Times still change, the outward form eventually is no longer appropriate but the outward form can be held on to (due to people that have an interest in the form more than the spirit) ... then it becomes corrupt and can turn against the very spirit in which it was established ... an outward shell of rites and regalia, pomp and power ... eventually devolving to an outward shell with no real internal motivating spirit - a Qlippoth.

So a new outward form to contain the spirit emerges ... a new 'revelation' is needed. It is delivered and goes through stages of reaction against it, persecution, partial acceptance, establishment.

In theology this is termed the process of Progressive Revelation. There are all these little cycles, but every so often we hit the end of those little cycles that make up a bigger cycle and a new 'great year' begins. Here the actual underlying spirit of the revelation may change greatly ... not just the outward form. (Similar to what Aeon posted above about the dif between Thelema and Abrahadabra.)

From an anthropological perspective, cultures need to be able to make this transition or they fall into decline and eventually destruction. It is the role of the prophet or tribal sharman to bring forward the new way and help the culture to make the transition with a new message.

Normally the 'power' or influence of a prophet or shaman is needed (i.e. a source from the 'spirit' or 'God") ... social or physical adjustments do not appear to provide lasting impetus (e.g. communism ... which seemed to be working for a while but it is apparent now that that was a social transitory stage ... many communist states have broken up, modified and now condoning other things - like the rise of Capitalism and Orthodox Christianity in modern Russia.)

ravenest

I think Crowley's view of Revelation was very symbolic. And he also thought it had been corrupted in places. But his indentification of the coming of the New Aeon and Ra-Hoor-Khuit with the Atu XVI The Tower clearly indicates the prarallels he was trying to make.

Consider Revelation 19:11-16

Also he seemed to apply the interpretation as some did back then that the 'seals' related to chakras in the individual and these would be progressively 'opened', releasing the symbolic energies described ( Knight of the East and West ... an interesting right that seems to link this process with the revelation of the Book of the Law - the 'temple' is set up to resemble Crowley's hotel room that the revelation took place in)

*Thigh: coy biblical euphamism for Phallus.

One would need a rather long thigh to write all of that on.

Aeon418

Also he seemed to apply the interpretation as some did back then that the 'seals' related to chakras in the individual and these would be progressively 'opened', releasing the symbolic energies described

Yep. All those 7's are just asking to be attributed to the chakras on various levels. Seven Churches in Asia? Or is that the Seven Chakras in Assiah?

The descent of the New Jerusalem! Is that a UFO come to rapture away the faithful? Nah! It's the the K&C of HGA. :royal:

One would need a rather long thigh to write all of that on.

I think that's what is being implied. In essence it's saying, "My thigh is bigger than yours, and I've got the tattoos to prove it." :laugh:

Aeon418

Another interesting insight into Crowley's view of the Revelation of St. John can be found in his, Notes for an astral atlas. (Appendix III of Magick in Theory and Practice.)

Aleister Crowley said:
On the higher planes, the diversity of form, due to grossness, tends to disappear. Thus, the Astral Vision of "Isis" is utterly unlike that of "Kali". The one is of Motherhood and Wisdom, ineffably candid, clear, and loving; the other of Murder and madness, blood-intoxicated, lust-befogged, and cruel. The sole link is the Woman-symbol. But whoso makes Samadhi on Kali obtains the self-same Illumination as if it had been Isis; for in both cases he attains identity with the Quintessence of the Woman-Idea, untrammelled by the qualities with which the dwellers by the Nile and the Ganges respectively disguised it.

Thus, in low grades of initiation, dogmatic quarrels are inflamed by astral experience; as when Saint John distinguishes between the Whore BABALON and the Woman clothed with the Sun, between the Lamb that was slain and the Beast 666 whose deadly wound was healed; nor understands that Satan, the Old Serpent, in the Abyss, the Lake of Fire and Sulphur, is the Sun-Father, the vibration of Life, Lord of Infinite Space that flames with His Consuming Energy, and is also that throned Light whose Spirit is suffused throughout the City of Jewels.

Aeon418

Personally I think spillage is inevitable, as the institutions of previous Aeons lose their grasp yet hold on all the more tightly (not necessarily the religious ones only, but the entire structure upholding that magickal formula, including general modes of thought).

I've only just remebered that Crowley addresses this sort of stuff in Magick Without Tears. I wouldn't be surprised if you've already read it, but here it is anyway.

The A.'.A.'. and the planet.
http://hermetic.com/crowley/magick-without-tears/mwt_75.html

ravenest

Yep. All those 7's are just asking to be attributed to the chakras on various levels. Seven Churches in Asia? Or is that the Seven Chakras in Assiah?

The 7 planetary spheres of Hermetics ??? Those that have to be passed through or broken through in 'ascent'.

The descent of the New Jerusalem! Is that a UFO come to rapture away the faithful? Nah! It's the the K&C of HGA. :royal:

There is a more historical, basic and universal interpretation of course ; the struggle against the Roman Empire. I have heard Christians adapt the general message to modern times e.g. re the American civil rights movement; the great Satan was white racism and its government policies, the saviour was Martin Luther King, the New Jerusalem was society with racial equality.

I asked Christian friends about that and they looked at me rather blank. "Oh ... do you not go along with a symbolic meaning and interpretation?" - They shook their heads ... I didn't want to know what they thought this scripture implied if they took it literally !

I think that's what is being implied. In essence it's saying, "My thigh is bigger than yours, and I've got the tattoos to prove it." :laugh:

A bit like that joke; the buy that got HB (his GF's initials) tattooed on his ... 'thigh'. He notices a black guy next to him at a urinal with the same; "Hey! What are you doing with my GF's initials there!"

"No ... look." says the other and ...ermmmm .... 'exposes the length of his thigh' and it actually says 'Hello and welcome to the Bahamas.'

Aeon418

The 7 planetary spheres of Hermetics ??? Those that have to be passed through or broken through in 'ascent'.

Have you read, The Apocalypse Unsealed by James M. Pryse? John Yarker and Crowley (using the pseudonym Nick Lamb) reviewed it in The Equinox vol.1 no.6. Pryse basically interprets the text as an instruction in Laya yoga and points out the qabalistic numerical progression through the numbers 333, 444, 555, 666, 777, 888, 999, and 1000. It's interesting stuff. Although, as Crowley points out, you have to be aware that Pryse' sex-phobic attitude that tends to skew his interpretation.

Equinox reviews: http://hermetic.com/dionysos/pryse.htm

There is a more historical, basic and universal interpretation of course ; the struggle against the Roman Empire.

Yes, of course. Nero = 666 and all that stuff. But I'm not averse to the idea that a political diatribe can also do double duty as an initiatory text. After all the best kept secrets are often those that are hidden in plain sight. ;)

I asked Christian friends about that and they looked at me rather blank. "Oh ... do you not go along with a symbolic meaning and interpretation?" - They shook their heads ... I didn't want to know what they thought this scripture implied if they took it literally !

But isn't the literal interpretation the one that has soaked into the Western psyche? Whatever the Revelation of St. John was originally meant to mean is almost irrelevant. It's taken on a mythic life of it's own and has subconsciously fueled millenial expectations and apocalyptic fears for centuries.

I think Crowley exploited it beautifully. ;)

ravenest

Have you read, The Apocalypse Unsealed by James M. Pryse? John Yarker and Crowley (using the pseudonym Nick Lamb) reviewed it in The Equinox vol.1 no.6. Pryse basically interprets the text as an instruction in Laya yoga and points out the qabalistic numerical progression through the numbers 333, 444, 555, 666, 777, 888, 999, and 1000. It's interesting stuff. Although, as Crowley points out, you have to be aware that Pryse' sex-phobic attitude that tends to skew his interpretation.

No ... I started, I think I got bored with it .... I think it is still in the dark depths of my book storage. Actually, I would not have picked Yarker as the writer of that review (except for the technical stuff), 'Nick Lamb' makes the point again ; 'mystic name written upon that organ' - seems it was a popular pastime at some stage?

But isn't the literal interpretation the one that has soaked into the Western psyche?

Yes ... but I keep having high expectations of people. :rolleyes: (at myself)

Whatever the Revelation of St. John was originally meant to mean is almost irrelevant. It's taken on a mythic life of it's own and has subconsciously fueled millenial expectations and apocalyptic fears for centuries.

I think Crowley exploited it beautifully. ;)

Ditto ... almost ... I wish Dali would do the same and paint a whole series based on it.