The Threes

Caedryn

Most of the threes in Tarot tend to have a more positive meaning according to its numerology. The exception seems to be the 3S, which more or less seems to have a negative overall meaning when compared to the three cards of the other suits (depending on context of the reading).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

~ C

Thirteen

Caedryn said:
Most of the threes in Tarot tend to have a more positive meaning according to its numerology. The exception seems to be the 3S, which more or less seems to have a negative overall meaning when compared to the three cards of the other suits (depending on context of the reading).
Well, the threes are about a break, if you like, in the stalemate of the 2's. Which isn't to say that 2's are bad, they're just "stuck" if you like between this and that.

Whether they hurt or feel good, these develop and move things along. In Pents, you get support so you don't have to keep juggling and can develop a project. In Cups you get a chance to celebrate love acknowledged. In Wands you send out that energy you picked out in the 2's and wait to see what it brings back. And in Swords, you release yourself from that compromise of the two's and allow all that was unvoiced to finally be voiced.

It's not pleasant to have all that spill out--it can be heart breaking, but it's out and you can move on. So it's not so negative as you think. Like most of the others, it's more a neutral with benefits. ;)

JSNYC

Not particularly a fan of numerology, I think the 3's simply follow the 2's. ;)

The 2 of Wands, a choice, contemplating options, evaluation, results in the (good) 3.
The 2 of Cups, a connection, an encounter, a fortuitous meeting, results in the (good) 3.
The 2 of Pentacles, busy, working hard, multitasking, chaos, struggling, results in the (good) 3.
The 2 of Swords, procrastination, indecision, being guarded, resistant to change, results in the (bad) 3.

ETA:
Oops, jinx, posted over top you Thirteen.

Callanish

Caedryn said:

Thoughts?

Thanks!

~ C

The number 3 is a lovely number, it's about self expression, joy, social gatherings and creativity.
The cups, wands/rods and pentacles/coins all reflect these positive attributes of the number 3.
It's the 3 of Swords, as you've pointed out, that relates to the negative, opposite, attributes of the 3.

When considering the numerology of Tarot cards don't forget to also look at the Major arcana.

The Empress is also numbered 3 and it is a card of creativity.
The World has a numerological value of 3 (21, 2+1=3) and it's number speaks of joy of life, freedom from worry, expression, imagination and sociability.

However out of the 21 numbered Major arcana the one card I struggle to see the numerology in is The Hanged Man, card number 12. (12 = 1 + 2 = 3).
He is also known as The Lone Man and again, like the 3 of Swords, this would be a negative/opposite attribute of the number 3.

The Major Arcana card imagery can often be a balancing force to the cards numerology.
e.g. Temperance(14 -> 5). In a 5 personal year, month or day the theme is freedom, travel, sensuality, sexual attraction etc. Temperance and restraint is required here.

So perhaps the message hidden in The Lone Man is one of getting out more and being social, being expressive and creative?

The RWS swapped Strength(11->8) for Justice (8->11) which has continued in many decks since.
Having studied the numerology of the Major Arcana I now understand and agree with why this was done.

I've written a lot on numerology and Tarot, it's on my web site if you want to read more.

nisaba

Caedryn said:

Thoughts?
The Three Pentacles can be about limitations and restrictions.
The Three Cups can be about being trivial and superficial.
The Three Swords can be about not being afraid to think deeply about your emotions.
The Three Wands can be about wistfulness and standing still when you should be moving forward.

See what I mean? Any of these cards have both positive and negative meanings, depending on the context in shich they show up.

YDM42

3 of swords can also be able ones fear of alienating others or losing the love of someone else.

The crowned one

Three is the only number that equals the sum and product of all numbers below it. Ancient mathematical philosophers saw this as meaning Harmony, prudence and peace.

Three is a number of jealousy, and a number of resolution. Three is the number of movement when looking at 1,2,3.

Trinity means "three as one. This is how I see it in Tarot.

A good way of looking at three in tarot is like this: in a relationship between opposites (two)...three will bring them (two) to a new level in their manifestation via the three. Three is the third wheel or the counsellor so to speak. No enduring resolution of any kind is possible without the third aspect , the two opposites of yin/yang, hot/cold etc of the number two are balanced, arbitrated or transformed by the aspect added by "three". Knowing how or what element to choose is the difference between on going conflict and resolution. The opposites of two's are resolved or perpetuated by the aspect of the three or third.

nisaba

The crowned one said:
Three is the only number that equals the sum and product of all numbers below it.
Pedant alert. Only the sum. The product of one and two is two.

The crowned one

1+2
1X3

Sum and product using all the numbers below it.

If you manage to find another feel free to PM me.

SunChariot

I personally read the Minors (1-10) by refering their number back to the Major Arcana card of the same number and adding in the basic meaning of the suit.

So, the way I read, ALL the 3's relate back to the Empress and are about "caring and nurturing...)

So there is no way for them to be negative, they are refer back to that positive card.

So for me:
3 of Swords--the person the question is about is having caring and nuruting thoughts about someone.

3 of Cups: they are having caring and nurturing feelings for someone.

3 of Wands: they feel a desire to create something caring and nurturing with someone.

and

3 of Coins/Pents: they have set some caring and nurturing goals on the topic OR they are willing to work to complete their goals on the topic in caring and nuturing ways.

Works for me anyway. LOL

Babs