The tower? fear it?

shadowedge

Hello everyone,

I need insight on card 16... I've heard / read bad things about it. Learned to feel that this is a card I should hope not to see in a reading.

Strangely enough, I had a very positive reading last night. The only other disrupting card in the spread was the reverse moon. I didn't feel bad at all for seeing the Tower in position 6 of the Celtic Cross spread.

I understood that it meant a sudden drastic change / event, something I should probbably look forward to. My initial feelings tell me that its a good sign...

Please don't misunderstand, this thread isn't about my reading or the spread. I'm just confused as to how I should feel about card 16 specifically.

frelkins

you should always look at cards in context and you should always trust what your intution says. those are the only shoulds.

only you can say how you should feel about any card at any time in any certain context. :) so sometimes it will seem good to you, othertimes maybe not.

it's up to you. :)

Sinduction

I love seeing the tower, especially when reading for myself. But I am a truth-seeker so the card never scares me. I see the card as the destruction of lies. What better way to replace something that is no longer needed than to have it all fall down right before you. All the hard work is done, now you can rebuild and redecorate! While I have had many tower-like experiences in my life, and boy they sure can sting, I have always come out better for it in the end. In truth, it is my favorite card, partly because it is so misunderstood and feared.

I absolutely hate it when this card comes up for clients (or my sis) that I know are not ready to see the truth. It is easy to understand how this card can be seen negatively if the person it is intended for is not ready to see the truth. I always hear Jack - "You can't handle the truth!" But for me, why yes, yes I can.

The crowned one

Embrace it. Both change and the truth seem to lead to better things or at least a bit of excitement.

Michelle

I welcome the Tower, too. I know that when I get this card - things are going to start changing. It's usually changes I NEED to make, but don't necessarily WANT to make. When I let go and allow it to happen, I usually feel better.

As already stated, trust your instincts.

Namaste,
Michelle

Papageno

shadowedge said:
Hello everyone,

I need insight on card 16... I've heard / read bad things about it. Learned to feel that this is a card I should hope not to see in a reading.

Strangely enough, I had a very positive reading last night. The only other disrupting card in the spread was the reverse moon. I didn't feel bad at all for seeing the Tower in position 6 of the Celtic Cross spread.

I understood that it meant a sudden drastic change / event, something I should probbably look forward to. My initial feelings tell me that its a good sign...

Please don't misunderstand, this thread isn't about my reading or the spread. I'm just confused as to how I should feel about card 16 specifically.

if you feel good about it then embrace it.
it means you can handle reality and accept change.

whatever you've read, heard been taught about fearing and avoiding The Tower, trash it and flush it. do those people really think that change and difficulties will go away or not happen simply because they refuse to acknowledge the card?

take the Tower card out and the deck will still have a way of conveying the same message as the missing Tower.

it's the same mentality that lead to the omission of the so-called "bad cards" in the Visconti deck, which included The Tower.

MeeWah

shadowedge: Welcome to Aeclectic Tarot!

Trust your initial impressions of The Tower. Like any other card, expressive of a range from the exalted to the lesser. & depends on the context of its appearance.

I like The Tower--I have always equated it with a lighthouse. To bring enlightenment rather than mere knowledge because enlightenment of a higher order of knowledge: wisdom gained through experience. Aligns with truth.

Rarely see it appear--it probably will now :D

tarot4fun

Hey Shadowedge, I'm going to share something I just wrote while studying The Tower:

The Tower is between The Devil and The Star:
Do I want to stay in bondage, or do I want to receive illumination, inspiration, transformation and hope?
That is the quintessential question of The Tower.

Yeah, the Tower might be scary, but I want to grow and change and experience new things! :heart:
Blessings~

star-lover

the tower has always come up for me when i have had a spring clean, both mundanely/literally and emotionally

there's nothing hidden with this card, it's always current, refreshing and positive - a moving forward energy, a time to look at the writing on the wall and deal with it - if you have been in a rut for example it urges you to make those changes however small - if i had to pick a word for it, it would be freedom at last

shadowedge

Thanks for the warm replies everyone...
I'd like to share an experience I just had...

I posted this thread at around 9 AM. It was the first thing I did when I got to the office.

Around lunch time, just before I read your replies, An old friend of mine contacted me and offered a freelance project for the company he works for. As a 3D animator, I was requested to give him a reel / portfolio so he could show my stuff to his superiors.

Unfortunately, weeks ago I dropped my external Hard drive and lost the data I had accumulated over the years. Luckily I was able to back up a low rez copy of my reel (along with a high rez image sequence).

Because I had trouble sending him my video reel over the net, he requested that I send sample images instead. So when I went to check my image sequence folder, I dicovered that the files were incomplete!

I had spent the entire lunch, looking through different back up files, cd's and other sources... It was terrible to discover that all I had left of my reel was 1 low resolution video!

This felt like a drastic turn of events. It could have brought me down to my knees if I were a weaker person. This reminded me of last night's reading... and why the tower was there...

But just so you all know... I don't feel bad about it all... In fact, the bottom line I got from last night's reading is to welcome this change, and that it may possibly be the key to success...

I've been meaning to redo a new version of my reel for quite some time. Right now, I feel more compelled to make a new one from scratch instead of trying to look for the old one.