The "training wheels" decks

greatdane

I understand, Aerin

It's just the age thing and this particular young teen. Short attention span, just wants to cut to the chase, has no real idea about tarot, just seems to have a slight interest in what it's about. I wanted something to just slowwwwly give her a mini intro and see if there is any interest beyond that. She won't sit and read a book, just likes looking at the images and doesn't seem to be an intuitive reader or at least not interested in that. Her parents have no problem with her having an age appropriate, kind of beginner's deck. I wanted something she could just look through, get some basic idea of each card with some key words and go from there. If she does have an interest beyond that, I would, or her parent's would, get her other decks and/or books. If she pursues this, I could see her being interested in other decks and reading in a year or so. Right now, she has the attention span of many her age, she just likes exploring, but doesn't really want to take a lot of time or sit still for long! :) If she were a few years older and more mature, I would just get her a deck with no key words on the cards and maybe a book :).

greatdane

Thanks melia!

That would be her "speed". Something simple and straightforward. I can see her wanting to do readings with something she doesn't have to guess at at least at first. She's just 13 and into new things about every ten seconds :). This may stick, it may not, but at least it gives her an IDEA. :) And I see you mentioned as well, Penthasilia, so for all who mentioned this one, I think that's where I'm going!

mrpants

Lo Scarabeo's Classic Tarot might be nice!

greatdane

Beautiful deck, no doubt, MrPants

but for someone who has NO clue about tarot at 13, just liked the look of my deck (which was very RWS), probably not the best beginners deck, aside from the big titles being in italian (yes, I know she can read the sides, but I'm trying to make it easier). It IS a most stunning deck, however, I've had my eye on it for awhile. I think if she decides she likes tarot reading and sticks with her, her tastes will likely change as she gets older and embraces more and has more of an idea what the cards mean.

Emily

I've got the Quick and Easy Deck. It is nice. The re-colouring is the Universal so it is an attractive deck. I think as a 13 year old I would have been pleased to have received these cards because you are right, she is going to want to jump straight into using them, no keep looking through books or she will lose interest. And with this deck she'll be able to play around and get to know them. If her tarot interests do develop further then she'll soon find out what kind of decks interest her but at least she will have a firm foundation of RWS symbolism behind her. :)

Edited to add

Also maybe get her a nice tarot bag to go with it. :)

SarahJoy

Regardless of the deck you choose, I'd want to make sure to tell her to feel free to look at the picture on the card and then "make up" additional meanings to fill in the blanks in the keywords, so that the reading makes sense. Some of us need permission to "make up" visual readings, when we're first learning to read the cards. For some, intuitive readings come naturally; others need permission to colour outside the lines, if that makes sense.

greatdane

Thanks Emily and SarahJoy

Lol, I wish you knew her, SarahJoy, trust me, she doesn't need permission to add her own meanings :). She's quite independent, but as quite a few kids at that age, always moving on to something new. Whether tarot interest sticks, whether she is interested for a bit and then maybe comes back to it, well, it will all be up to her. I don't want to push, or overwhelm, just give her a simple deck with some basic meanings and see how she does with that. I will also show her other decks when she gets her mind wrapped around what tarot is just a little bit.
And of course one must have a proper frock for their deck, Emily! :)))

Glass Owl

My daughter is ten and she likes the Hanson Roberts. The Tarot To Go has a smaller size deck that is easy to shuffle and has a small book. But overall, my daughter is a big fan of oracle decks and likes pulling a card for advice. The Oracle of Shadow and Light is a big hit with her. She loves the magery and phrases on the cards make it very acessible.