The World and Wheel of Fortune

xddga

I was just going through my deck, drawing my daily card (X of cups! Whoohooo!) and after I do any reading, I always make sure the cards are all upright (however, if they are reversed when they come into play, which does happen, i keep them that way but that's a different story). Anywho... I ran past 2 cards and released i didn't quite know their meanings, and wondered if you could help me....

These cards are the World, and Wheel of Fortune. According to the meanings in the books i've looked through, both of them mean that everything is comming to head, that past events and cicrumstances are finnaly comming to and end and you'll finnaly realize the fruits of these endevors... however, The World seems to have a more positive outlook.

I've always looked at the Wheel of Fortune as Karma (cause and effect) comming into play. However, the World is basicly the same thing... so what is the difference between the 2 or am i just stupid?

Centaur

No, you're not stupid ;)

For me, The World refers to 'thing falling into place' in one's life. The Wheel of Fortune, however, can turn in either direction, towards happiness, or sadness, depending on the querent. The power to determine which way the wheel falls lays in the querent's hand.

Ofcourse, there are a multitude of meanings to these cards. I have simplified them just ever so slightly, hehe :)

C

Belladonna

Yes, for me, the World''s "falling into place" energy is characterized even more by the sense of unlimited freedom within or despite limitations presented by you/ your circumstances. A discovery that all you really needed to know you already had within you and truly experiencing that. Your uniqueness and individuality comes out in a way that lets you be tremendously effective, successful even though, as a human, you have natural limitations. You've learned to work with them in a way that they do not present boundaries anymore. Like, perhaps you don't have the brains to be a rocket scientist, but you've learned that you are an amazing dancer and have cultivated that talent until you reap the rewards of success, fruition.

The Wheel of Fortune means more, a turn in your luck..If it's been going fine, expect that to change. If you've been having a streak of bad luck, it looks like that will be broken. An unexpected twist of fate, whether it is luck or karma. The implication is that it is cyclical, not representing a final outcome, the natural ups and downs of life.

sagitarian

The World ~ Using everything you've got, all four types of strengths (intellectual, spiritual, will, and physical strength, represented by the four animals in the corners) will you be able to pull through and achieve what you are striving for. Things will fall into place yes, ONLY if you are working on them to do just that. You will get your degree IF you spend your time studying and doing your homework. There are rewards that will satisfy you in your personal goals in the end, but it will be hard to achieve. This also depends on where the card is falling in your life, past present or future. I'm using the meaning I would use if this card came up in the present.

Wheel of Fortune ~ Absolutely all about karma. 3 times fold or what have you. You get back from the universe what you put out. If you put out hard genuine work, and a good attitude, then you will get back rewards of prosperity in richness in both money and relationships. If you say screw it all, I hate everyone, then you will live miserably with very little connection to people and the good things in life.

With the cards combined together I would say that something is REALLY wanting you to think about what you are doing. What are your goals in life right now, are you working towards them, or are you procrastinating? Why are you procrastinating? I think right now is a time for you to seriously consider your goals in life, and where you are headed. Truly look at what choices you are making and seeing if you really are putting out all that you can to achieve those goals. Right now, the decisions you are making NOW will be setting how the rest of your life will turn out. Really Really think on that one. The Wheel of fortune telling you, remember, what you decide now will come back to you later, so you better be careful of what you are doing in your life now.

Thirteen

Ferris Wheel vs. Carousel

THE WHEEL: A Ferris wheel--you go up and down, you change perspective. Sometimes you're on top, sometimes at the bottom, sometimes inbetween going up or down. You change from level to level, your perspective constantly changing.

THE WORLD: Carousel--you go round and round, but you stay essentially the same--only more so. Because YOU, unlike all the others stuck in place, can see all sides, can see 360 degrees. You stay on one even level--and your perspective takes in all around you.

Remember also that The World can be indicative of travel, as well as of reaching a level of mastery where you're at home anywhere you go. Consider the master Chef who can create amazing dishes no matter what kitchen they're in. Why? Because they've been there, done that, made mistakes, had experiences. That's the World.

rainwolf

Why are the fixed signs in the corners, and why are they the fixed signs?

Does it mean stability or cycle?

Thirteen

rainwolf said:
Why are the fixed signs in the corners, and why are they the fixed signs?

Does it mean stability or cycle?
Both! Each sign is a symbol of their time of year (cycle): Aquarius (winter), Taurus (spring), Leo (summer), Scorpio (fall).

But they are, as you pointed out, fixed signs. Thus, stability--of all the signs in their category (water, air, fire, earth) they are the stable ones, the ones that do not move and are the epitome of their group.

Like the merry-go-round. They turn, sign-to-sign, but they are stable (no changing level). They are reliable and fixed.

One last thing it represents--that the world contains ALL elements. Earth, Air, Water and Fire. This also implies stabliity. Nothing is out of balance, everthing is there. In a way, this is the Magician's table of possiblities (wand, cup, pentacle and sword) come to fruition. They've grown into those fixed signs. The fixed stars, if you will, that surround the earth and that the world sees and relies on as it dances round and round.

jmd

Originally, and would suggest in many decks, the fixed signs of the zodiac represented the four evangelists - hence their aureole and, in some decks, the book (or, specifically, gospel) within held.

One key distinction that I see between the two is that whereas the Wheel of Fortune points to the vicissitudes of Life, the World points to an integrated awakened individual.

JennyM

I once drew the WORLD and the Knight of Pentacles regarding how my husband, a suspicious and possessive man, felt about me. The marriage was not going well at that point. So I guess the idea of fixed stability is there. At the time it really confused me.

jenessa

more re: wheel/fortune

I found Belladonna's comments re: the implication being that the Wheel should be seen to be cyclical ... NOT representing a final outcome, to be insightful. This is an astute observation, if we consider that wheel relates to the natural ups and downs of life.

I also view the wheel in the upright position* as representing the concept of expansion ... of things growing & taking off.
-- & In this sense, this card may point to: increased abundance.
-- In keeping with this, i feel that sometimes this card can be interpreted to suggest the need to: think on a bigger scale, or to raise one's expectations.

& When it comes to the concept of expansion, i've also noted where this card be read to suggest: that the influences which the querent is going thru may be increased & heightened.
-- SO this may be either positive or negative/(upright or reversed*), and can also be interpreted in conjunction with the theme of the spread.

Also in my research i've noted that this card implies: that new conditions are coming into play.
-- However, these forces, such as luck & destiny are beyond our control.
-- Further to which, IF career or financial matters are the main theme of the spread, this card can be interpreted to suggest: effortless success & advancement, depending on what other cards are present.

In addition, as some things in life are based on our free will & choices, while others are based on things such as chance & circumstances beyond our control, The Wheel signifies that stuff is on the way that would end up in the later category.
-- SO this card can also be read to suggest: that the balance of power is NOT in our hands.

& Last but not least, as per my notes:
The Wheel in the reversed* position: can signal fortunes on the wane ... for instance things are: winding down/ or you may experience setbacks, or a confusing turn of events.
-- May ALSO apply to: a change of fortune for the worst (eg.: losses).
-- In career or financial matters this card can appear to signal: unexpected interruptions, difficulties or delays.
-- [In relationship spreads, this reversal: this can apply to the type of person who has difficulty dealing with lifes ups & downs].

PS: Please note, it is not my intent to plagerize, so i want to make mention of the fact that i have compiled my notes from a number of sources, including comments posted on this forum. For example, i just added Belladonna insight re: the art of interpreting this card to my notes .. many thanx for sharing!!