Things that lead you to certain decks...

HearthCricket

Do you ever notice something in your life, a book, a movie, an incident, leads you to purchasing and working with a particular deck? I do, all the time! When I first got the Gothic Vargo, it did not click with me. I am not sure why, except that I usually don't go for darker decks. After watching the recent movie "The Phantom of the Opera" I could not help but be drawn to the Gothic Vargo and have been using it more and more, these days. Take a look at this still from the movie. Doesn't this look straight out of the Gothic Vargo? And what has recently led you to a particular deck?

Flavio

That is the story of my life and not always works well (LOL)

Next day I finished reading "The Mists of Avalon" went to buy the "Avalon Tarot" which hapenned to be my very 1st deck, needless to say there was no way I can connect with, later came the learning with an Universal Waite.

The most recent experience was after hearing the Tarot Connection podcast episode 3 which featured an interview with Johanna Gargiulo Sherman, after that I knew I had to take a serious look at the Sacred Rose Tarot so I ordered the Book+Deck set, so far no regrets.

HearthCricket

Sacred Rose was the deck I learned to truly read with, 20+ years ago! I love it! Enjoy!

Flavio

HearthCricket said:
Sacred Rose was the deck I learned to truly read with, 20+ years ago! I love it! Enjoy!
Thank! you bet I am :)

Formicida

For years I thought the Motherpeace was one of the ugliest decks ever created. It was firmly on the list of decks that I thought I would never buy, much less like.

Then one day I had a very unpleasant experience with a man's negative expectations of women. I came home upset and thought I'd like to turn to the Tarot for comfort, but I realized that almost all of my decks were at least designed by men, and none of them offered any comfort. I certainly didn't like or trust Waite's or Crowley's perceptions of women. I wanted a specifically feminist deck, and suddenly the Motherpeace wasn't ugly anymore.

Once I actually bought it, it quickly became one of my favorites.

PixieLi

well I have only one deck so far....and I don't know why I got it all those years ago. I to listened to the Tarot Connection podcast episode 3 so I'll see what happens next

so many to choose from ;D

B*B
Pix

fall_guy

HearthCricket said:
Do you ever notice something in your life, a book, a movie, an incident, leads you to purchasing and working with a particular deck? I do, all the time! When I first got the Gothic Vargo, it did not click with me. I am not sure why, except that I usually don't go for darker decks. After watching the recent movie "The Phantom of the Opera" I could not help but be drawn to the Gothic Vargo and have been using it more and more, these days. Take a look at this still from the movie. Doesn't this look straight out of the Gothic Vargo? And what has recently led you to a particular deck?
I've also been drawn to the Gothic Vargo after recently watching Sleepy Hollow (the Tim Burton film). I don't have it (yet), but I really like the look and atmosphere in the film and would like to find a deck that conjures that feeling.

HearthCricket

fall_guy said:
I've also been drawn to the Gothic Vargo after recently watching Sleepy Hollow (the Tim Burton film). I don't have it (yet), but I really like the look and atmosphere in the film and would like to find a deck that conjures that feeling.

I love that movie! We just watched it a few evenings ago. I also highly recommend the Vampire Tarot (Hertz) as well as her Fantastical Tarot, which both look a lot like Tim Burton's style. I would love a Tim Burton Tarot. One that he does all the artwork. Can you even imagine that? Oooh!

WolfSpirit

A few years back I made a trip to Prague...which led me to the Tarot of Prague (not very original huh)
Decks that I wanted because of their literary theme are:
  • Lord of the Rings - despite its bad rep, I love the story so much I felt I wanted the deck anyway
  • Legend Arthurian
  • Kalevala - it is OOP but I find a cheap copy through abebooks, and I like the atmosphere of the deck a lot

Logiatrix

HearthCricket said:
Do you ever notice something in your life, a book, a movie, an incident, leads you to purchasing and working with a particular deck?
....what has recently led you to a particular deck?
Good topic, HearthCricket! And yes, as a matter of fact, this just happened to me.

Last week, I was talking to my mom about the decks I have, lamenting that none of them appeal to me when it comes to a theme that might help with losing weight. I have about a dozen decks right now, but none were triggering the right feeling when I looked through them. I was thinking about something very body-oriented, like the Cosmic Tribe, for example. But no matter...alas, no money to shop freely for just the perfect deck to help me with my goal.

Then last weekend, my mom found the Baseball Tarot for me. I have virtually no connection to baseball, except for a general grasp of the analogy as related to life, but my mom apparently knew what she was doing. Henceforth, I've been pleasantly surprised.

I've spent just about every free moment with my new deck. It really works for me in application to my personal project of weight loss, with regard to all the people in motion, all the action, and the very goal-oriented theme. The cards relate very well to the kind of "feel" I want for body awareness. I'm going through the book now, and it is also wonderfully encouraging, as I continue to read and apply the card meanings to my purposes.

I would never have considered the Baseball Tarot as a tool for me, but I believe it has now been placed in my life at just the right time. I also like that it was a gift of encouragement from Mom.
:)