Those extra little cards in a deck...

Zezina

Those extra two little cards

I keep my extra cards in their wrapper with the whole deck, cos I rather enjoy them, and I remove them when I use the deck.
I read somewhere that there are always 80 cards in a cut for a deck. So I find it rather nice that instead of the publisher binning them, we often get an extra two cards from a generous publisher.
Best of all must be Touchstone Tarot where Kat Black gives us not only an extra artist card, but the very amusing Happy Squirrel as well. He doesn't get removed but stays right in with my deck.

Wendywu

I pop them either in the box and store them away, and some I keep in an envelope and know that if the end cards aren't in the box they're in there.

I used to chuck the boxes out but now I keep them although my 20 or so favourite decks all have bags and their boxes live in a box on top of the wardrobe.

I think about the book mark idea and then just scan a fave card, print the scan on card and use that .... saves losing a real card and I always lose bookmarks.

Grigori

Alta said:
I keep them in a box, in case I ever want to trade the deck, it'll be complete. Or I am OCD, take your choice. :joke:

Me too. One of those lewellyn boxes that don't actually match any deck in size, it has all my spare cards and another with my spare lwb's. I even have some cards from decks I don't own :laugh:

zan_chan

All of mine I've kept in the box together with the deck. Its almost become part of the reading ritual to take everything out together and neatly seperate them into their little piles on my table. Maybe I'm just a little OCD, though :)

I have been considering switching over to storing them all in one box together though. Sometimes when I want to do my morning one-card draw, it really would be a time saver to be able to just pop the box and go.

jackdaw*

Usually I keep them with the deck. In the box I put them first, then the LWB and then the cards, so that they don't get shuffled into the pile. Or I use them as bookmarks in the companion book or another Tarot book.

Sulis

If they're from one of the decks I use for reading then I use them as book marks. If they're from one of my decks that just sit in their boxes then the cards stay in the box with the rest.

Aerin

Emily said:
I always keep the spare cards with the deck, at the front and back as sort of end cards to protect the deck. Sometimes I forget they are there though and they get shuffled in LOL and I have drawn them when doing a reading.

Me too. There's one with the MRP Fairytale deck that is really beautiful and I sometimes shuffle that in purposefully.

Morwenna

Aerin said:
Me too. There's one with the MRP Fairytale deck that is really beautiful and I sometimes shuffle that in purposefully.

Many people do that with the "To All Believers" card in the Hanson-Roberts (me included). But the title card is just as pretty!

Le Fanu

If it's a deck which is not one of the Top 25, they stay with the decks in their boxes up on the tarot shelves. Like others here, I have them front/back to protect the deck

However, the oft-used decks are all in bags/small wooden boxes within arm's reach of the sofa. From these decks, I take the LWB and tuck the extra cards inside the LWB and put them in a small wooden trunk. The boxes are collapsed flat and all live inside Llewellyn boxes (like the Victoria Regina box) compressed together.

I never throw these cards away. When I first started buying I did. If I liked the back of a card (like the Wang Golden Dawn or Anthony Clark Magickal) I pinned them up on my notice board. These card backs are good for meditative moments (but Ive since lost them...)

MysticalMoose

My extra cards sit in a tin in the thin drawer on the front of my desk. If I ever need to trade or sell a deck I know they'll be there...If a card is from a deck I know is a keeper I will use it as a bookmark :)