Those panicked readings...

Sophie

Some of you might have similar experiences.

You know the procedure. You are going through a stressful time, perhaps in the middle of the night. You are worried about finances, or your Dad's health, or your immortal soul. You reach for a deck and start reading and every card is worse than the last. Nothing but 10s of Swords, 3s of Swords, 5s of Cups and Pentacles, Towers, Deaths, Devils.

It's horrible. You draw again and it gets worse. In the middle of it, you might get Temperance, but it's not what you want to see. You get a 10 of Cups or a Sun and you don't believe it.

Finally you calm yourself down - perhaps it's the magical effect of Temperance - and put the cards by. In the morning, or a few hours later, you see things differently. You settle into a more measured reading, which makes sense, re-empowers you.

But what of those cards, those dreadful, dread-inspiring cards? Are they just to be dismissed as the reflections of a fevered mind? After all, shit does happen, and 5 of Pents sometimes does mean 5 of Pents, and not the fear of 5 of Pents. And thinking that, the vicious circle can happen all over again. Unless we learn to look at the 5 of Pentacles and those other "difficult" cards in a different way, perhaps, and through the filter of Temperance.

But oh, Temperance! What a hard card to assimilate when cards and readings accumulate in circles around us!

Grizabella

I think some of it is just that your own distress and worry brings you those cards because of the energy of your anxiety. Hopefully, anyway. I hope they weren't going to come up and through intuitive means, I just know they will. :p Whenever I'm drawing cards and I think, "Oh, I hope I won't get the Death card", I get it every time!

Papageno

Lyric said:
I think some of it is just that your own distress and worry brings you those cards because of the energy of your anxiety. Hopefully, anyway. I hope they weren't going to come up and through intuitive means, I just know they will. :p Whenever I'm drawing cards and I think, "Oh, I hope I won't get the Death card", I get it every time!

but the Death card is a good card. it shows your growing and evolving. :)

Sophie

trismegistus said:
but the Death card is a good card. it shows your growing and evolving. :)
It also shows something - or someone - dying. And no matter the growth to come out of the experience, it can - and generally is - painful.

Papageno

Helvetica said:
It also shows something - or someone - dying. And no matter the growth to come out of the experience, it can - and generally is - painful.

yes, change is a difficult process to say the least.
did you ever see Kushner's Angels in America?

there's a great monologue about change in part 2 Perestroika (i could be wrong), it was a long time ago. God plunges a dirty hand in your intestines and yanks them out..........paraphrased of course but buy the script, excellent reading or buy the DVD, followed the stage production very faithfully. it's a profound work.

edited to add:

I found the exact quote................

"In your experience of the world, how do people change ?" she asks.
"Well, it has something to do with God, so it's not very nice," comes the answer. "God splits the skin with a ragged thumbnail from throat to belly and then plunges a huge, filthy hand in. He grabs hold of your bloody tubes and they slip to evade His grasp but He insists. He pulls and pulls until all your innards are yanked out. And the pain - you can't even talk about that. And then He stuffs them back - dirty, tangled, torn. It's up to you to do the stitching ... Get up. Keep walking ... That's how people change."

star-lover

hi sophie x

just thinking off the top of my head - when i'm panicky it doesnt matter what cards i seem to pick - i'm just not able to do a proper reading - and its hard enough to do your own reading even at the best of times - i seem to see the negative in each card even if its a positive one - as you say i think - well that can't be true because x and x bad thing is/has happened

maybe when we're feeling like that we should do something first before picking up the cards? what i mean is - theres all this *stuff* within us which has to be sorted out and once we have done our bit then we can go to the cards again with a bit clearer mind

just rambling as i do

hope youre ok x

tmgrl2

Hey, Sophie!! Good to see you! Home from the Congo?

Here's my take on that...

It I know I am sitting in the midst of a big pile of s***...., then, I am not surprised at all about all those cards...Death, the Tower, Ten of Swords, ....

I used to be...but, hey, I am more surprised if I get The Sun, The Star, The Magician, Ace of Cups...

I expect to feel crummy during difficult times...someone in dying, financial difficulties, loss of a relationship, ill health....I don't necessarily seeing the cards as telling me there is more doom and gloom on the horizon...sometimes, it just...

...confirms what I already know...

....Often, there is something else, some other cards in the reading, that offer the guidance or hope or action to be taken...

JMHO.

terri

stella01904

When I'm truly panicked that way, I often can't make heads or tails of a Tarot spread, lol. I usually do something simple and basic then, like runes. And get the same effect: Hagal, Nyd, Eoh, Thorn, Isa....just what I didn't want to see. :(

tmgrl2

trismegistus said:
"In your experience of the world, how do people change ?" she asks.
"Well, it has something to do with God, so it's not very nice," comes the answer. "God splits the skin with a ragged thumbnail from throat to belly and then plunges a huge, filthy hand in. He grabs hold of your bloody tubes and they slip to evade His grasp but He insists. He pulls and pulls until all your innards are yanked out. And the pain - you can't even talk about that. And then He stuffs them back - dirty, tangled, torn. It's up to you to do the stitching ... Get up. Keep walking ... That's how people change."

Wow!!! How true this is! I do believe we are here to learn, and that the lessons are painful, but the joy also overwhelming when we face our trials and learn from them...

Garth Brooks:

I could have missed the pain, but I would have missed The Dance

terri

star-lover

I could have missed the pain, but I would have missed The Dance
----------------

thats true if the dance was really worth it lol
ignore me being cynical etc