Thoth 2005 by Urania Verlag

Le Fanu

RLG said:
I'd suggest to anyone who wants just one Thoth, to get the large Green box, which seems to usually be cheaper than the Swiss Blue Box B, even though they are identical inside.
I agree with this. I hd been told that the decks in either green box or AG Muller box were the same, but my Green Box thoth (which I bought quite recently; maybe two years ago) has lovely rich colours and the AG Muller one looks more pallid (ever so slightly). You can tell particularly on the Magus card. Maybe it was just that particular printing.

The problem when you have more than one copy of things; you realise slight differences in colour. Another reason not to get back ups; they start feeling like different decks.

My German Blue Box A (I remember now; it has a small 1986 copyright on the back) has beautiful colouring. You particularly notice it on the blues. The Prince of Cups is exquisite; so rich and dark

Zezina

gregory said:
The Tarotgarden Thoth table - here shows the one that Tarotchest has - it's the Large Swiss Blue Box B. I don't know why they suddenly start describing it so oddly - but that's the one. tarobear's lair in the US has them too. here's a direct link.
I think the publishers are just having fun playing around with the box design.

My AGMUller large size blue box is new and has a different box front again from the ones shown at these links.

On mine the front of the box has the Title: Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot printed in white ABOVE the Magician, and unlike those linked, there is no publisher name on the front of the box.

[There is also a small c for copyright after the word Crowley, but I've never learned how to print that on a Mac!]

Two ISBN numbers are on the box:
ISBN (10): 3-905021-60-9
ISBN (13): 978-3-905021-60-8

:heart: *Z*

fyreflye

Zezina said:
[There is also a small c for copyright after the word Crowley, but I've never learned how to print that on a Mac!]

Go to the country flag in your topmost menu bar and open the pull down menu. Click on "Show Character Viewer" near the bottom. Click on ♥Miscellaneous. Your © is at the top of this menu. Click on it to open a menu of font choices. Double click on your choice and the character will appear where your cursor is placed.

fyreflye

That's the one I got from Tarot Chest. The © date on the back of the cards should be 1996.

Zezina said:
I think the publishers are just having fun playing around with the box design.

My AGMUller large size blue box is new and has a different box front again from the ones shown at these links.

On mine the front of the box has the Title: Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot printed in white ABOVE the Magician, and unlike those linked, there is no publisher name on the front of the box.

Two ISBN numbers are on the box:
ISBN (10): 3-905021-60-9
ISBN (13): 978-3-905021-60-8

Zezina

fyreflye said:
That's the one I got from Tarot Chest. The © date on the back of the cards should be 1996.
Yes, fyreflye, that is the date on the back of the cards.

Zezina

fyreflye said:
Go to the country flag in your topmost menu bar and open the pull down menu. Click on "Show Character Viewer" near the bottom. Click on ♥Miscellaneous. Your © is at the top of this menu. Click on it to open a menu of font choices. Double click on your choice and the character will appear where your cursor is placed.
Thanks so much for this, fyreflye. My Mac shows an Australian flag (although I'm not in Australia, grrr!), so it was a bit different. I tried this once before, when I was new to a Mac, and I failed, but now I'm more comfortable with it all you've encouraged me to pursue it.

I eventually managed to turn on Show Character Palette in the drop-down menu from the flag (different wording from yours). Then, although it wasn't in Miscellaneous, I found the copyright symbol under Letterlike Symbols.

An amazing array of symbols have emerged with this option now open, so thank you for introducing this to me! I've printed your instructions out and pinned them on the wall near my computer.

This may be removed by the Moderator, so I'll message it to you as well. Nice to show my appreciation publicly though.

abella

Is this available anywhere?

I can't seem to find this. Is this still being sold somewhere?

Emily

Amazon UK still have them

If you put these ISBN's into the Amazon search, it will bring them up.

978-3-86826-504-0 - standard deck
978-3-86826-503-3 - pocket deck

:)

fyreflye

Amazon UK still have them

If you put these ISBN's into the Amazon search, it will bring them up.

978-3-86826-504-0 - standard deck
978-3-86826-503-3 - pocket deck

:)

The bad news: all printings of this edition along with the lwb are in German.
The good news: any contemporary English language printing of this deck, including those distributed by US Games. will be of high quality and with accurate color rendition.
Unless I'm wrong :D Correct me if I am, Thoth printing experts.

Le Fanu

*slight niggle*

U.S Games do not print this deck. They put their name on the box. The cards are "Printed in Belgium" by AG Muller and the cards have copyright AG Muller on the back. It is AG Muller we have to thank for the consistantly good quality printings of the Thoth deck. I dread to think what would happen to the Thoth if U.S Games decided to actually print (as opposed to distribute) it.

But something tells me they have their beady eye on "ownership" of the Crowley Thoth as well as the RWS. The "U.S Games" printed on the box of the Thoth is a relatively new thing.

Oh and btw, the Urania Verlag deck has very delicate colouring which I rather like. It is also available from the Book Depository.