thoth deck with meanings

olivia1

hi all,
i want to learn how to read the thoth deck and the rosetta tarot looks like a good way to start..i like that it has the names and meanings on some of the cards (i dont know if this is in all the cards since i've only looked at a few of the cards).

the price is kinda steep for me though. do you know of another visually appealing thoth deck that would be great for a beginner with the meanings on the cards but more moderately priced?

ill get the rosetta, if think, if i have no other options..but i want to explore my options first!

Cassandra022

The Rosetta is a lovely deck and totally worth getting for its own fine qualities, but if you are looking to learn the Thoth, why not just get a Thoth deck? It really isn't as scary/intimidating as people sometimes make it out to be :]

GoldenWolf

If it's the keywords on the minors that you are seeing, then those are also on the Thoth and other Thoth based/insprired decks. The Rosetta is a great deck though and I highly recommend it.

olivia1

If it's the keywords on the minors that you are seeing, then those are also on the Thoth and other Thoth based/insprired decks. The Rosetta is a great deck though and I highly recommend it.

ohh ok! yes, that is all i am really looking for the keywords since i dont understand Thoth at all! I have a thoth based deck with Native American theme. it was given as a gift. i dont understand it at all and dont have the time to do too much studying since i work

and thank you, cassandra. that is very encouraging since i did think learning thoth would be a daunting task

thank you both!

GoldenWolf

Is the Vision Quest deck that you have? If so, I was able to read with that intuitively before I ever got into the Thoth deck although I've enjoyed studying the Thoth. If it's not the Vision Quest, I'd be interested in knowing about another Native American deck based on the Thoth.

Cassandra022

ohh ok! yes, that is all i am really looking for the keywords since i dont understand Thoth at all! I have a thoth based deck with Native American theme. it was given as a gift. i dont understand it at all and dont have the time to do too much studying since i work

and thank you, cassandra. that is very encouraging since i did think learning thoth would be a daunting task

thank you both!

it really doesn't have to be this huge daunting thing. yeah, the deck has a lot of layers, but you don't have to understand ALL of them at once to be able to read with it. The art, even the minors, is very expressive. I'd say get a book that works for you maybe, relax, and just pull some cards. If you check the reading circles forum, there's a Thoth reading exchange circle that I started this month that I am planning on running again in april (thoth based decks like Vision Quest (i think this is what you likely have) and rosetta are ok too), and I'm trying to run is specifically to help people learn, so it's something to check out if you like. if you're interested, i've also been writing a bit about the thoth in my blog :] but yeah, i really find it an awesome deck, that speaks to me very well and gives me great readings, and I Really don't claim to know even half of what's out there to learn about it yet, lol.

olivia1

Is the Vision Quest deck that you have? If so, I was able to read with that intuitively before I ever got into the Thoth deck although I've enjoyed studying the Thoth. If it's not the Vision Quest, I'd be interested in knowing about another Native American deck based on the Thoth.

yes, its the vision quest tarot. i tried to read with it once and it seemed pretty accurate (in hindsight) but i think i got lucky because it had titles like "grandfather" (i think that is the card?) and "stagnation" on the cards. i could only imagine what the results would have been if i got cards without the titles. its been awhile since ive seen that deck. i dont even remember what i did with it.

im afraid that i'm not much of an intuitive reader.

olivia1

it really doesn't have to be this huge daunting thing. yeah, the deck has a lot of layers, but you don't have to understand ALL of them at once to be able to read with it. The art, even the minors, is very expressive. I'd say get a book that works for you maybe, relax, and just pull some cards. If you check the reading circles forum, there's a Thoth reading exchange circle that I started this month that I am planning on running again in april (thoth based decks like Vision Quest (i think this is what you likely have) and rosetta are ok too), and I'm trying to run is specifically to help people learn, so it's something to check out if you like. if you're interested, i've also been writing a bit about the thoth in my blog :] but yeah, i really find it an awesome deck, that speaks to me very well and gives me great readings, and I Really don't claim to know even half of what's out there to learn about it yet, lol.

thanks! i think i will join the circle though i'd feel bad with whoever gets stuck with me because i dont think they'd find me too helpful (with my lack of knowledge and all). and yes, i would be interested in reading your blog. thank you! i assume its listed in your profile?

i knew a girl who was really into the Thoth deck and she read a lot of books to understand it. it seemed so daunting..im glad its not as hard as i had thought it would be.

thanks again :)

Cassandra022

thanks! i think i will join the circle though i'd feel bad with whoever gets stuck with me because i dont think they'd find me too helpful (with my lack of knowledge and all). and yes, i would be interested in reading your blog. thank you! i assume its listed in your profile?

i knew a girl who was really into the Thoth deck and she read a lot of books to understand it. it seemed so daunting..im glad its not as hard as i had thought it would be.

thanks again :)

the group is for people at all kinda of different levels, and you def wouldn't be the only one who is just starting out at getting familiar with thoth :]

and yep, if you click my name, the homepage link goes to it.

and yeah, different things work for different people. some people really like to do a lot of reading and research right away before they get started, for other people it works better to dive right in intuitively and then maybe fill in the gaps later with some reading if the need to. some poeple want to know everything about the astrology/kabbalah/thelema/esoteric symbolism etc in the deck. others read with knowing any of that and are perfectly satisified with their readings anyway. there is no real right way, whatever works for you, really.

Fianic

The Thoth is a very rewarding deck to use. It's so advanced it FORCES you to improve.

I hope you have a lovely experience with it :).