Time for a new deck

leelee

I am wondering if it time for a new deck. Recently I have been trying to do spreads and I seem to be agitated with the cards. They are not talking to me at all (if that makes sense). i thought that they were blocked and did a cleansing ritual that I read from this site. I currently have the Mythic Tarot and keep them wrapped in the cloth that it came with. I spread the cards over my dining table and let them be cleansed by the moonlight for two nights. It seemed to work for one spread. I then thought that perhaps it was because while trying to read I was constantly getting interuptions from my children as they are home for the school holidays. It has got to the point that whenever I try to do a card reading no matter how many cards are dealt they just dont make sense. Am I trying too hard. Do I need another deck. Any ideas please :)

leelee

Sorry I think I have put this in the wrong place. Mods please move this thread if it should be in Talking Tarot. Still getting used to this forum

Thirteen

leelee said:
I currently have the Mythic Tarot and keep them wrapped in the cloth that it came with. I spread the cards over my dining table and let them be cleansed by the moonlight for two nights. It seemed to work for one spread. I then thought that perhaps it was because while trying to read I was constantly getting interuptions from my children as they are home for the school holidays. It has got to the point that whenever I try to do a card reading no matter how many cards are dealt they just dont make sense. Am I trying too hard. Do I need another deck.
I'm always up for buying a new deck, but then I'm one of the many here who love to collect decks.

Sometimes both you and the deck need a break from readings. So take a break and let the deck rest. In the meantime, if you browse about here on AT and see a deck you like, by all means, get it. Get two or three if you fancy them :D

My way of doing things is to use which ever of my many decks seems right for the question, or the occasion, or mood I'm in or person I'm reading for. It's a lot of fun to switch decks, as it keeps tarot fresh and reminds you that there are many different ways of viewing the cards. The trick is not to rely on a new deck as a cure all. It can help, but if you need to take a break from reading or something else, than it will only be a temporary save.

berrieh

I am wondering if it time for a new deck. Recently I have been trying to do spreads and I seem to be agitated with the cards. They are not talking to me at all (if that makes sense).

Makes perfect sense to me, as I always speak of 'conversations' with my cards.

And, I understand perfectly, as that's why I keep multiple decks. Sometimes one just isn't chatty. Sometimes you need a new perspective. Sometimes a deck needs a rest. Of course, don't toss out the old deck if it's worked before. Just let it breathe a bit.

As usual, Thirteen has a lovely suggestion about a breather and browsing. :)

Foucault

I really think the interruptions have a lot to do with it. I can understand that, because I'm a stay-at-home Dad of a toddlerette!

My advice would be to try to read at a different time, when you can be more relaxed. Perhaps try a different place, free of interruptions.

And it might be a good excuse to buy a new deck! ;)

Graham.

easyboy82

Sometimes it's simply matter of taking a break or finding the right concentration. ;)

leelee

Hi everybody. I am now the proud owner of a new deck :) I now have added the Rider Waite to my collection. I really like the feel of the cards they arre not as bulky as the Mythic Tarot. I also bought myself a book by P. Scott Handler - Tarot for Beginners. No more reading the cards for a while until I have read the book. The kids are back to school today (first day of the school year) so I will be able to concentrate as well. I have put my Mythic Tarot away (for now) and kind of feel sad, a bit like I am being unfaithful to it (if that makes sense).

cheers
leelee

elvenstar

Leelee, the Mythic was my first deck as well. At some point I felt I needed a change, like you did and got a new deck (well, two actually :p). Now I have more, but I still often go back to the Mythic. Somehow working with other decks helped me appreciate it more. So no need to feel guilty, enjoy your new deck!

Sophie

No, you don't need a new deck: you need to vary your practice (well, you did ask!).

I was stuck - literally - with the Mythic for 5 years while I was out working in Africa and the Middle East. Every now and then, I got in a rut as you are now. I'd leave it a few days, maybe a week, then try and devise new ways of reading, exercises (reading for events, for the news, for characters in novels, etc), meditations, journalling. Remind yourself of the myths in the Mythic, read about them. Read for one of the main characters - Orestes, Jason, Psyche, Daedalus. And above all - I'd get back to reading for other people. It's strange, but generally these troughs happen when reading for oneself.

And if all else fails - well, maybe you do need another deck. When I reached that point, I had the Robin Wood as a fall-back :D. It never matched my beloved Mythic, but it did refresh my mind and skills when I needed it.

Nowadays I'm a real tarot tart - I'll read with anything ;) - but I think staying a long time with one deck, through thick and thin, will really hone your tarot sensitivity.

Disa

IT's great that you went ahead and got an additional deck. After some time has passed and you choose to have another look at the mythic, it may feel like you are revisiting an old and treasured friend. Don't feel guilty, you will love the mythic all the more the next go round. Absence makes the heart grow fonder..or so they say :)

Disa

BLFO

berrieh said:
Makes perfect sense to me, as I always speak of 'conversations' with my cards.

And, I understand perfectly, as that's why I keep multiple decks. Sometimes one just isn't chatty. Sometimes you need a new perspective. Sometimes a deck needs a rest. Of course, don't toss out the old deck if it's worked before. Just let it breathe a bit.

As usual, Thirteen has a lovely suggestion about a breather and browsing. :)

I can understand a new perspective, because various decks have different images that can aid you. That is why I don't understand people who only own one deck like for years or decades.

curious though, how do you know that a deck isn't chatty?

I am using my Gilded so much that the card is thinning out and becoming more papery and the illustrations is rubbing off in spots. It's my favorite deck. I think when 2009 comes around, that deck will be totally destroyed. I am sick of seeing, so I am switching to Aquarian at the moment.