To Reverse or Not to Reverse???

Keigh

I am having serious difficulties deciding whether it is better to read with or without reversals. I've had good luck at both, but at times, the reversed card has simply had more tangible meaning in its upright position that the reversal that arose. And, of course, vice versa with uprights.

My primary deck is the RWS as people seem to really connect with the imagery. Should the use of reversals be deck specific or is it a more general question?

I've found this forum full of wisdom and would love to get other's thoughts on this.

Thanks and Blessings,

Keigh

psychicbody

That's dependent on how you interpret a reversal and if you can interpret the cards well enough to not need the reversals.

Keigh

reversals

Good points psychicbody. I found reversals worked better for me than plain upright about two years ago, but in the last year, have been turning them over more and more as the reversal just didn't seem to fit. I don't know if that means I'm good enough to read without them all the time, but perhaps I'm getting closer.

However, the more I read in this forum the more I learn about the depth of information that these cards can relate.

Thanks again.

Keigh

brenmck

Eden Gray's book and even more recently Louis' "Tarot Plain and Simple" take the reversed cards and give them by and large a flat opposite meaning from the upright. Mary K. Greer's "The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals" gives detailed and very helpful explanations of what these cards have to offer on different levels. And Joan Bunning does the same in her book "Learning Tarot Reversals," with her "energy phases" system. All of these sources are a great help to me on this journey.

psychicbody

Joan Benning is the webmaster of LearnTarot.com, right? She says that reversals are not the opposite meaning, but a "blocked" energy.
Personally, I think it's dependent on the situation. To me, Majors can be opposite if reversed, while Minors are more subdued/blocked.

william_james

I Think so.

Although my experiences has a reader are very limited i belive that reversells are a good think.

It is my strong belief that you should try has hard has you can to get all the information possible from the card!

However...what you think is right and how you feel...will probally prove more successful.

Sulis

I think it depends on whether you have a good take on what the cards mean to you upright or not.

When I started reading I used the cards upright - the readings I got were fine.

Now that I have a good knowledge of what the upright cards mean to me, I use reversals as they seem to help me to nail exactly what it is that a card is saying - it takes out the guess work.

When a card comes up reversed in a reading to me that means that the card's energies are either there or potential but they may be:

1. Delayed
2. Diminished / diminishing
3. Underutilized
4. Internalized
5. Blocked

I've been using this technique with reversed cards for quite some time now and it seems to work fine.

If you take a look at the main page of the Using Tarot Cards forum you'll see a thread at the top titled 'How to read - links to all questions about reading' http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15119

You'll find loads of information about reading reversed cards in there.

Love

Sulis xx

Thirteen

An Artform....

Reversals are their own "artform." And I've learned three things about them in my many years of tarot reading and on this forum:

1) Reading reversals is not an easy thing to learn. Some folk take to them quite naturally and quickly, ducks to water who find reading them a breeze and a delight. The problem is that sometimes these understandably enthuiastic reversal readers forget that it's not so easy or natural for everyone. And if it's not easy or natural to you, then you need to think of reversals as a "graduate" level course. Not, as the Little White Book would have it, something a beginner should learn along with upright meantings and the Celtic Cross (yet another thing that isn't as easy as such books would make you believe!). In short, most readers shouldn't try to learn reversals until after they become very comfortable with reading the cards up-right. And they shouldn't expect to find reversals easy to learn even so. Like the upright cards, there are various possibilities of meaning. A reversed card could be the "opposite" of the upright, or "blocked energy," etc. In some ways, reading reversed is more complex than upright, as you need to take upright meaning and "invert" it. That's not easy.

So. Learn reversals when you feel ready--don't dive into that part of the pool just because some book or other implies that you ought to be swimming over there. And when you do decide to go into those waters, remember that it will probably take time and practice...unless you're one of those lucky ducks.

2) Not all folk are meant to read reversals. Some people never get comfortable with reversals, never like them and/or never need them. I'm one such person--and I can guarantee you that you don't need to spin the cards around to get more information out of them--that is, you aren't going to lose "half" the possible meanings of the cards if you don't use reversals. If reversals are not for you, you will find these extra layers to the cards in card position, question or just your own intuition. Almost all the folk I know who use upright exclusively incorporate "reversed" meanings into the uprights. That is, they know when an upright card is expressing that layer of meaning.

That said, I *DO* think it's a good idea to teach yourself reversals and know how to do them even if you never use them. Learning reversals is a good way to deepen your understanding of the cards. I can read reversals just fine--but I don't use them in my readings because reversals jar me too much when I see them--they interrupt the flow.

3) Not all decks are meant to be read reversed. All decks *can* be read reversed, but frankly, some are better than others--at least, in my humble opinion. For example, decks which go for more photo-realistic art often aren't the best for reversals. They really just look like you turned the image up-side-down and your fingers itch to right it. Decks with art that is more fluid or more symbolic are often better for reversals. Art where, say, an up-side-down cup makes you think of water spilling out.

And then there's the Revelations deck where you pretty much have to use reversals--as that's what the art means you to do:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/revelations/

Reversals are an artform which you may or may not ever take to, but one that's good to learn. Like any advanced class, they will help further your education even if they're never a part of your speciality.

redfairy

prefer reversals

i normally reverse 15 cards in the pack and that seems to work fine for me, because a reading with reversals kind of pin points the actual facts a bit more accurately than doing a reading without reversals.

redfairy

also...

but more importantly, you must have the exact or correct meaning of the reversal, which is very very difficult sometimes.